AVS Forum banner

921 - 940 of 1603 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
The new update finally appeared on Lg's site. I installed the "beta" version up above and I was wondering if tv will still auto Iupdate to the one thatjust released on the site since they are same version #. I noticed the one on site is a few kb/mb bigger in size.
No it will not update to the official FW once the beta is installed because they have the same FW number. The only way would be to roll back the beta version to a previous FW, and then reinstall the official version.
Damn my impatience. Is it hard to rollback and are there instructions on how to do it somewhere.

·
Registered
9,870 Posts
Damn my impatience. Is it hard to rollback and are there instructions on how to do it somewhere.
I don't know how to roll back. You need to connect a computer to the tv, but what I have read, is that with this latest FW, it's very hard to roll back now. I wouldn't worry too much. The beta version has been working flawlessly for me.

·
Registered
7,960 Posts
Not quite flawless here (but good enough in the few tests I've run). I wish I'd waited to upgrade from the beta on at least one of my G6s just for testing purposes between beta/final.

·
Registered
13,713 Posts
No it will not update to the official FW once the beta is installed because they have the same FW number. The only way would be to roll back the beta version to a previous FW, and then reinstall the official version.
So is there any reason not to update my 65C6P to this new FW once the Update becomes available to my TV?

Are there any estimates as to when LG may kick-off the automatic update process in North America?

·
Registered
9,870 Posts
So is there any reason not to update my 65C6P to this new FW once the Update becomes available to my TV?

Are there any estimates as to when LG may kick-off the automatic update process in North America?
It fixes the DV issues. That's the big one. I read HDR game mode is now brighter again, but i can't comment on whether that's true or not since I don't game.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Not quite flawless here (but good enough in the few tests I've run). I wish I'd waited to upgrade from the beta on at least one of my G6s just for testing purposes between beta/final.
Yeah, I did the Korean version but I believe thats official unlike a beta. Right?

·
Registered
7,960 Posts
Maybe (someone would need to compare file sizes), but if the size of the final firmware is different (I grabbed the publicly available beta), that's enough to leave lingering doubt.

·
Registered
9,870 Posts
Maybe (someone would need to compare file sizes), but if the size of the final firmware is different (I grabbed the publicly available beta), that's enough to leave lingering doubt.
The beta name is: starfish-atsc-secured-m16-37.dharug.m16-3708-05.30.30-

The official FW is named : starfish-atsc-secured-m16-37.dharug.m16-3708-05.30.30-

Both exactly the same.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don't know how to roll back. You need to connect a computer to the tv, but what I have read, is that with this latest FW, it's very hard to roll back now. I wouldn't worry too much. The beta version has been working flawlessly for me.[/QUOTEl]
It's been working fine here too. Probably just over thinking it. Thanks wxman.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #930
Thanks to all that people that only knew how to cry about something that worked perfectly, the HDR Game mode is now a **** again, it has lost a lot of tone-mapping to show more highlights detail, and now it's like HDR Standard (Clipping everything), so awesome

Worst thing is that the DV is still not fixed

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
I don't know how to roll back. You need to connect a computer to the tv, but what I have read, is that with this latest FW, it's very hard to roll back now. I wouldn't worry too much. The beta version has been working flawlessly for me.[/QUOTEl]
If as wxman reports the version numbers are the same, then the sw releases beta/final are in all likelihood the same version. SW folks are particularly anal about numbering sw releases and configuration management on SW. I believe they had a beta, saw it created no new problems then made it final. i wouldn't lose sleep over it.

From a SW development standpoint, it's not a good practice to keep the same version number as a beta, even without any changes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If as wxman reports the version numbers are the same, then the sw releases beta/final are in all likelihood the same version. SW folks are particularly anal about numbering sw releases and configuration management on SW. I believe they had a beta, saw it created no new problems then made it final. i wouldn't lose sleep over it.

From a SW development standpoint, it's not a good practice to keep the same version number as a beta, even without any changes.
Thanks glangford.

·
Registered
134 Posts

The version numbers and file names are the same, but the sizes of the two files are different by about 10 megabytes (at least for the C6/E6 file). The link I posted a few pages back (the so-called "beta" version) is 852MB. The one now posted on LG.com is 862MB (after extracting it from the zip file).

Probably nothing to be concerned about, but I can't help but wonder what the difference is.

·
Registered
808 Posts
It's a goofy IT practice to not give it another revision.
Yes and no, I've been in situations where we committed to a revision and then had to silently patch it at the last minute while keeping the version number, it's not what you want to do, but sometimes you have to do it.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Can anyone confirm that the Korean version I used last week is the same as the US version? I believe they are. Everything is working great on my set but I just couldn’t wait to update so I did the Korean update. Again, NOT the beta version but the official Korean FW release....its the same as the US one, right?

·
Registered
134 Posts
After testing several more DV discs on my C6, I can now say that this issue is NOT entirely fixed. I watched A Quiet Place last night and the TV's black bars appeared rather grey during nighttime scenes. There are a couple of times when the movie fades to an entirely black screen. When this happens, my C6 displays a grey screen rather than a pure black screen. If anyone has this disc, watch from minute 55 through minute 56 in a pitch-black room and let me know your thoughts.

·
Registered
9,870 Posts
After testing several more DV discs on my C6, I can now say that this issue is NOT entirely fixed. I watched A Quiet Place last night and the TV's black bars appeared rather grey during nighttime scenes. There are a couple of times when the movie fades to an entirely black screen. When this happens, my C6 displays a grey screen rather than a pure black screen. If anyone has this disc, watch from minute 55 through minute 56 in a pitch-black room and let me know your thoughts.
If you can, go into service menu, lower sub brightness to 127, and then set brightness to 51 for DV. See if there is a difference.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #939
If you can, go into service menu, lower sub brightness to 127, and then set brightness to 51 for DV. See if there is a difference.

I already had the sub brightness at 127

Fixes nothing, brokes HDR GAME making it like before, absurd firmware

921 - 940 of 1603 Posts