AVS Forum banner

941 - 960 of 1603 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Service Menu

If you can, go into service menu, lower sub brightness to 127, and then set brightness to 51 for DV. See if there is a difference.
A new wrinkle: Even with LG Beta software and the upgraded Oppo software, r u saying that I need to adjust sub brightness (AND Brightness?) in the service menu to fully resolve the elevated black issue? Will the sub-brightness adjustment negatively affect non DV material?

How do I access the service menu using a Harmony remote?

·
Registered
60 Posts
After testing several more DV discs on my C6, I can now say that this issue is NOT entirely fixed. I watched A Quiet Place last night and the TV's black bars appeared rather grey during nighttime scenes. There are a couple of times when the movie fades to an entirely black screen. When this happens, my C6 displays a grey screen rather than a pure black screen. If anyone has this disc, watch from minute 55 through minute 56 in a pitch-black room and let me know your thoughts.

I watch in a darkened room on my E6. Can’t make it pitch black. I watched Quiet Place from the 54 to 57 minute marks. At 55 (and change) when the family hides under the bed, the scene goes dark gray. For the next couple of minutes the black bars have some gray in them almost as if there is some bleed-through from the lighting in the actual scenes. But then I rewatched the same scenes using forced HDR and I did not notice any significant differerences. The screen still did not go completely black when the family hid and for the next few minutes, there was still some gray in the black bars. Perhaps, there was a bit more gray in DV vs HDR10 but it was hard to say for sure. I went back and changed brightness in DV from 50 to 49, and what little difference there was between DV and HDR 10, narrowed even further.

I don’t know of this helps but these are my observations of the scene in Quiet Place. If you had not said anything and I was not looking for a problem, I don’t think that I would have noticed anything.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Are you guys playing the disc with a player that was given a DV software patch? I know that Apple TV was given a DV fix. If you have Apple TV as well, have you tried testing the difference in those scenes? Does it do the same thing?

I watch in a darkened room on my E6. Can’t make it pitch black. I watched Quiet Place from the 54 to 57 minute marks. At 55 (and change) when the family hides under the bed, the scene goes dark gray. For the next couple of minutes the black bars have some gray in them almost as if there is some bleed-through from the lighting in the actual scenes. But then I rewatched the same scenes using forced HDR and I did not notice any significant differerences. The screen still did not go completely black when the family hid and for the next few minutes, there was still some gray in the black bars. Perhaps, there was a bit more gray in DV vs HDR10 but it was hard to say for sure. I went back and changed brightness in DV from 50 to 49, and what little difference there was between DV and HDR 10, narrowed even further.

I don’t know of this helps but these are my observations of the scene in Quiet Place. If you had not said anything and I was not looking for a problem, I don’t think that I would have noticed anything.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Are you guys playing the disc with a player that was given a DV software patch? I know that Apple TV was given a DV fix. If you have Apple TV as well, have you tried testing the difference in those scenes? Does it do the same thing?
Yes, it happens with both my LG UBK90 player as well as Apple TV. When I watch the movie through the TV's built-in Vudu app, the black bars stay perfectly black, as has always been the case.

If you have any type of ambient light in your viewing room, the greyness is almost imperceptible. But I just happened to be watching this disc in a pitch-black room. It's certainly better than it was before the 05.30.30 update. I'd say it's about 85% fixed. At least the black bars no longer flicker and it doesn't seem to impact black levels in the movie itself. But the black bars in Dolby Vision content over HDMI still don't stay as black as content in the built-in Vudu and Netflix apps.

·
Registered
9,873 Posts
A new wrinkle: Even with LG Beta software and the upgraded Oppo software, r u saying that I need to adjust sub brightness (AND Brightness?) in the service menu to fully resolve the elevated black issue? Will the sub-brightness adjustment negatively affect non DV material?

How do I access the service menu using a Harmony remote?
No, you do not need to go into SM. I had to because my E6 would glow even when brightness was set to 0 when displaying a 0% slide. The glow was obvious in a dark room at night. The glow would occur when using gamma 2.2 with SDR material, and also with HDR10 and DV. So if you had no glow with non DV material, you do not need to go into SM. The odd thing with me is that my original E6 and my replacement E6 both had the glow when using gamma 2.2, so I would bet there are more E6’s out there with that issue.

·
Registered
60 Posts
DV Patch

Yes, watching with Oppo 205 with the DV patch (intended mostly for Sony TVs) and LG E6 with the beta 5.30.30.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I noticed the bleed thru into the black bars on A Quiet Place in DV on my X700. To me, it appeared the film and black bars had about a half inch or more of overlay because I could see the heads and lights extend into the black bars. I didn’t have any greys tho.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Black Bars

I noticed the bleed thru into the black bars on A Quiet Place in DV on my X700. To me, it appeared the film and black bars had about a half inch or more of overlay because I could see the heads and lights extend into the black bars. I didn’t have any greys tho.
You probably described the scene better than I did. The lighter portion of the black bars was associated with the bleed through/overlay I was seeing and perhaps describing them as gray was not the best description. In any case, what I saw did not seem to indicate an issue with the DV processing on the LG E6. But then again, I only watched a few minutes and my room was not pitch dark.

·
Registered
9,873 Posts
You probably described the scene better than I did. The lighter portion of the black bars was associated with the bleed through/overlay I was seeing and perhaps describing them as gray was not the best description. In any case, what I saw did not seem to indicate an issue with the DV processing on the LG E6. But then again, I only watched a few minutes and my room was not pitch dark.
It could be just a bad encode. I have 3 or 4 SDR blu ray movies where a few fade to black scenes, the whole screen turns grey, including the letterbox bars. I also notice floating blacks on the top letterbox bar with the movie The Equalizer on blu ray. I don't have the HDR version. I tested all those movies on my EF9500 OLED, and the same issue arises, so I know it's not my tv's but the encodes themselves.

·
Registered
135 Posts
How can it be "light bleed" when a frame that is supposed to be pure black appears as dark grey? You said yourself that at the 55 minute mark (when he pulls the mattress over the underground bedroom and the screen goes black), the screen appears grey rather than pure black. That's not "light bleed" or "overlay." It's a problem with the encode or with the way Dolby Vision is being processed.

When I watch the same scene in Dolby Vision UHD via the TV's Vudu app, the screen is perfectly black during that same scene.

·
Registered
60 Posts
How can it be "light bleed" when a frame that is supposed to be pure black appears as dark grey? You said yourself that at the 55 minute mark (when he pulls the mattress over the underground bedroom and the screen goes black), the screen appears grey rather than pure black. That's not "light bleed" or "overlay." It's a problem with the encode or with the way Dolby Vision is being processed.

When I watch the same scene in Dolby Vision UHD via the TV's Vudu app, the screen is perfectly black during that same scene.
The bleed thru I referred to was in the black bars as noticed by the other poster Julez. It is as if the scene bled into the black bars. Not that unusual. I have seen this before.

The dark gray I referred to was in the scene itself when the father and family ducked under the mattress. When I switched to Forced HDR, it remained a dark gray. My room is very dark. Not pitch black. I am not doubting what you saw. I am only telling you what I observed.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
After testing several more DV discs on my C6, I can now say that this issue is NOT entirely fixed. I watched A Quiet Place last night and the TV's black bars appeared rather grey during nighttime scenes. There are a couple of times when the movie fades to an entirely black screen. When this happens, my C6 displays a grey screen rather than a pure black screen. If anyone has this disc, watch from minute 55 through minute 56 in a pitch-black room and let me know your thoughts.
Can we be sure this is a problem with the TV and not a problem with the mastering on the disk?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #959
Maybe you have a defective TV. DV has been perfect on my E6 since the update.

I have a room without windows and pure darkness, so maybe i can see what you can't because of eye adaptation

·
Registered
9,873 Posts
I have a room without windows and pure darkness, so maybe i can see what you can't because of eye adaptation
Nope, because my room gets completely black too. That is how I was able to see that my current E6 and previous E6 would still glow even when brightness was set to 0 when displaying a 0% slide. Lowering sub brightness on my tv fixed it. Did you install 05.30.30 on your E6?

941 - 960 of 1603 Posts