AVS Forum banner

961 - 980 of 1609 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #961
Nope, because my room gets completely black too. That is how I was able to see that my current E6 and previous E6 would still glow even when brightness was set to 0 when displaying a 0% slide. Lowering sub brightness on my tv fixed it. Did you install 05.30.30 on your E6?

Latest firm, sub-brightness at 127 since the beginning, raised blacks, not fixed

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Sounds like you need to raise a warranty claim on LG. If it's not fixed for you it sounds like you have a defective set.

Reactions: SinGA

·
Registered
9,876 Posts
Latest firm, sub-brightness at 127 since the beginning, raised blacks, not fixed
I think you said in previous posts that the elevated blacks occurred while watching DV through your ATV 4K. I watch movies via my OPPO 203, and dont have the raised blacks via disc. Maybe the issue is with the ATV and it’s defective, or the software on it is not working properly. At least on disc it works fine with DV on my tv.

Your issue sounds like what some B6 owners are having.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I saw the same exact issues with A Quiet Place. Both my C6 and Oppo are completely updated. Forcing HDR fixed the issue. I also see similar issues during the end credits of Braveheart and Gladiator.

Dolby Vision is still not fixed. :mad:

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
^As I mentioned before, I saw the same fluctuations across both a 65" G6 and a 77" G6 with Pacific Rim Uprising credits (and 2 separate Oppos). It's improved but not 100% resolved.

·
Registered
9,876 Posts
It would be interesting to know when you force those movies mentioned above with floating blacks to HDR10 on the OPPO 203, pressing and holding info button, what the highest and lowest nits are shown. Some are 4000 and 0.005, some are 1000 and 0 nits, and some are 1000 and 0.005 nits. Those that show 0.005 nits, actually master true black at 0.005 nits, so there will be a glow. I have discovered using my Masciola HDR10 calibration disc, that I have been setting my brightness for HDR10 way too low. I originally thought 50 was too high sometimes, when in fact, 52 or 53 is the correct setting. When I set to 52, those movies that are mastered at 0.005 nits on the low end, my blacks will not look very good at times with HDR10, especially the darker scenes.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Glad LG came through. I now have inky blacks on my UHDs on my C6 and C8.

Reactions: SinGA

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Well, this isnt what we want to hear. I wont keep the UBK-90 if the DV really isnt fixed. Ive only watched two titles with DV and they both maintained black bars perfectly throughout. Tomb Raider(2018) and the first Transformers movie.

Whats the scoop here???? :confused:

·
Registered
902 Posts
Well, this isnt what we want to hear. I wont keep the UBK-90 if the DV really isnt fixed. Ive only watched two titles with DV and they both maintained black bars perfectly throughout. Tomb Raider(2018) and the first Transformers movie.

It’s fixed on my C6 with Sony x700, and my C8 with Oppo 203.

·
Registered
78 Posts

Seems like it's fixed for some, not others. If you haven't had a problem with your DV titles, sounds like all is good with your set-up, so why try & fix something that isn't broken?

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
I have 18 DV titles on disc. All look perfect since the update. No floating blacks and no elevated letterbox bars. Oppo 203 connected to my E6.
I've had a similar experience with the updates.. no issues and I have been watching several DV discs.

Annihilation
The Escape Plan
The Matrix
Mission: Impossible
Mission: Impossible 4
Tomb Raider (2018)
Valerian

DV Streaming:
The Escape Plan 2
Suburbicon

·
Registered
9,876 Posts
Watched Ready Player One tonight on disc on my OPPO 203 and E6. There were some elevated blacks. In a dark room, when the movie starts there are some black screens, and the blacks, including letterbox bars are not black. Also a couple of scenes during the movie when a scene fades to black, it is not completely black, including the letterbox bars.

·
Registered
9,876 Posts
Tonight I tested RP1 with my OPPO 203 forcing HDR10. Brightness correctly set to 52 for HDR10 on my E6, and guess what, when fade to black, and when the titles begin to scroll, blacks are not black, including letterbox bars, just like DV. It's the movie, not the tv. And why is that, on my OPPO 203 it shows it's mastered at 4000 nits max, and 0.005 minimum. On OLED 0.005 is a glow, and DV is showing exactly 0.005 nits as it's black. So it glows with HDR10 and DV. Until blacks are all mastered as 0.00, there will be a glow on OLED.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I still find it odd that there is no mention of any Dolby Vision fixes in the change log for 04.71.00. Only a temporary disabling of IPv6 is listed. I was previously running the Korean version 04.70.90 and it was working much better with DV from my ATV4K on my B7A. 04.71.00 seems like a regression to me.

·
Premium Member
10,247 Posts
961 - 980 of 1609 Posts