AVS Forum banner

981 - 1000 of 1603 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am looking to buy a new tv to replace my trusty and flawless 55EC9300 with a bigger screen. Reading this thread makes me want to wait.

Seems Dolby Vision is a dud if it still doesn’t work reliably even though LG claims to have fixed the issue?

·
Registered
24 Posts

·
Registered
9,870 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,245 Posts
I thought there was an OLED mastering display that some are using.
Yes, the X300 is an OLED display with min/max of "0" to 1,000 nits in HDR mode. I hadn't seen it on the Dolby list but it does (just) meet the Dolby specification for DV grading -- 1,000 nit and 200,000:1 contrast.

I shouldn't have tossed out some random unrelated data. The relevant point is given the code for black (10b 64 or less) a (calibrated) display will produce the panels MLL. It will not produce the minimum mastering luminance in the meta-data unless that happens to be MLL.

It's also the case that some companies have opted to ignore meta-data and do tone-mapping based on the content.

·
Premium Member
10,245 Posts
I am looking to buy a new tv to replace my trusty and flawless 55EC9300 with a bigger screen. Reading this thread makes me want to wait.
Much of the recent conversation here has been about the 2016 LG OLED. Unless you're buying one of those I don't think you should worry about them.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Much of the recent conversation here has been about the 2016 LG OLED. Unless you're buying one of those I don't think you should worry about them.
Judging by some of the recent comments in this thread, people have issues with 2017 and 2018 sets too. I find it especially strange that 2018 oleds have this issue as LG surely was aware of the problem when they designed this years televisions.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Judging by some of the recent comments in this thread, people have issues with 2017 and 2018 sets too. I find it especially strange that 2018 oleds have this issue as LG surely was aware of the problem when they designed this years televisions.

The issue is not, and has never been, limited to LG. It has always been on all DV sets from HDMI sources (not from internal TV apps.)

With latest DV software on both sources (ATV and Oppos primarily) and TVs the issue is for the most part fixed. Under some circumstances it still appears but it is generally hard to notice if it appears at all.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm not sure if the remaining black level issues are limited to Dolby Vision.

I had my TV professionally calibrated and I'm on the latest firmware. We set the SDR brightness to 51 which, as far as I can tell, is correct for my set. Afterwards, I put on a letterboxed movie in a pitch black room, put my eyes right up to the black area, and moved the brightness slider around. At 52 the letterboxes *ever so slightly* light up. At 51 they do not. Lowering it to 50 doesn't do anything. So 51 it is.

I did the same test for HDR10 and DV, and it appears they both need a brightness of 49. With my eyes right up to the black letterbox area in a pitch black room, 50 causes a very tiny amount of light to enter the letterbox area. I don't know if this is intentional - ie. the TV reading the min. luminance value that the movie was mastered at. Maybe it is. At 49 the blacks seem a tad crushed in other parts of the scene.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I'm not sure if the remaining black level issues are limited to Dolby Vision.

I had my TV professionally calibrated and I'm on the latest firmware. We set the SDR brightness to 51 which, as far as I can tell, is correct for my set. Afterwards, I put on a letterboxed movie in a pitch black room, put my eyes right up to the black area, and moved the brightness slider around. At 52 the letterboxes *ever so slightly* light up. At 51 they do not. Lowering it to 50 doesn't do anything. So 51 it is.

I did the same test for HDR10 and DV, and it appears they both need a brightness of 49. With my eyes right up to the black letterbox area in a pitch black room, 50 causes a very tiny amount of light to enter the letterbox area. I don't know if this is intentional - ie. the TV reading the min. luminance value that the movie was mastered at. Maybe it is. At 49 the blacks seem a tad crushed in other parts of the scene.

Thoughts?

This thread is focused solely on DV related issues when played thru HDMI and it is limited to DV and only in some specific context. It is not on all DV and certainly show much less when running the latest DV software in you chain of devices.

Depending on your set, if not correctly calibrated then yes you could have less than inky blacks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #991
Saw Mission Impossible yesterday... Full of raised blacks on ATV 4K

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Saw Mission Impossible yesterday... Full of raised blacks on ATV 4K
I don't know what to say. I watched Mission 1-2 and 4-5, and It last night.. all disc based but had no raised blacks even on brightness 50 with DV Bright mode..

·
Registered
9,870 Posts
I don't know what to say. I watched Mission 1-2 and 4-5, and It last night.. all disc based but had no raised blacks even on brightness 50 with DV Bright mode..
Same here. I have watched all Mission Impossible UHD discs, and all were flawless in DV. Perfect blacks.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The issue does seem to crop up in relation to A4K DV more often. DV UHDBR players don't seem to be affected lately. The LG OLEDs seem to have been fairly optimized for A4K DV material somewhat recently. I havent tested a Sony in about a month.

·
Registered
78 Posts
It has been for the 2016 models. I can't speak for the 2017 or 2018 models, since I don't own those model year OLEDs.
No update for the B7 in Germany, though I haven't run into these issues, & we watch "Dark" Movies in almost total Darkness (Shutters Down, lights off, just a few LED Status Lights & a dimmed AVR front Display to stop it being total).

·
Registered
118 Posts
I noticed the raised blacks issue on my LG C8 for the first time today.

I just watched Fury via the Apple TV 4K in Dolby Vision.

In the very last scene of the movie, there is an overhead shot of the tank with the camera slowly rising. It then fades to black, the screen stays black a few seconds, then the credits start. During those few seconds that the screen is black, the blacks looked more like grey to me. The whole screen did, including the letterbox bars. If I got close to the screen I could see some noise. Once the credits started, which featured graphics on a red background, the black bars turned inky black again. The noise in the black bars disappeared.

To verify what I was seeing, I rewound the movie and went into the Apple TV settings and turned off match dynamic range and then set my output to 4K HDR. I replayed the scene and that fade to black was inky black. When the credits started the black bars were the same tone. They didn't get darker (because they were already the proper black). There was no noise when I got up close to the screen. Switching back to Dolby Vision, the issue reappeared.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Same here. I have watched all Mission Impossible UHD discs, and all were flawless in DV. Perfect blacks.
I havent had a raised black issue with my ubk-90 player since the update came out. Ive watched about 4-5 movies with DV. I havent streamed anything in DV yet though but I do that through the TV anyways, not the player. So, seems fixed to me but a few others are having some issues. Is there *possibly* something else in their chain of gear causing it? Just curious.

981 - 1000 of 1603 Posts