AVS Forum banner

1001 - 1020 of 1603 Posts

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
Or service menu settings but I otherwise doubt it, seems to be down to individual encodes. I can repeat the floating blacks during the credits of Pacific Rim Uprising every time at the same location with no intermediary device between the Oppo and TV.

·
Registered
9,873 Posts
Or service menu settings but I otherwise doubt it, seems to be down to individual encodes. I can repeat the floating blacks during the credits of Pacific Rim Uprising every time at the same location with no intermediary device between the Oppo and TV.
I watched that movie via my OPPO, and the credits remained perfectly black.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Why has LG taken the ultra anti-consumer move of disabling the ability to downgrade firmware? I accidentally let my B6 update when I moved apartments because the new router didn't have the LG servers blocked (I didn't have auto updates on either but somehow it did).

Now I can't downgrade to 4.30.20 no matter what? What a load of garbage this company is.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Why has LG taken the ultra anti-consumer move of disabling the ability to downgrade firmware? I accidentally let my B6 update when I moved apartments because the new router didn't have the LG servers blocked (I didn't have auto updates on either but somehow it did).

Now I can't downgrade to 4.30.20 no matter what? What a load of garbage this company is.

It’s not all that unusual is it? I can’t think of many devices I own that allow me to downgrade to an old firmware

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
293 Posts
Talking about firmwares, do many TV manufactures tweak the picture in firmware updates, Ive owned a few different make TVs in my time and the LG Oled is the first I have seen of this, but maybe that's because I have followed forum threads more with this TV.
Im tasing about things such as HDR game mode been dimmed and then brightened again (recently) and other tweaks in the picture that people have noticed.

I personally think any tweaking of the picture should be well and truly left alone in any firmwares even if a manufacturer thinks its an improvement, when someone buys a new TV and are happy with the results why does a TV company think its fine to mess with the picture in any form.

Firmware should be for new features or fixes only and if they mess with the picture they should allow the user to downgrade if they are not happy with the results.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Im talking about things such as HDR game mode been dimmed and then brightened again (recently) and other tweaks in the picture that people have noticed.

I would agree that game mode has been changed and my guess is that we still don’t know the full reason for this. The ‘other tweaks’ you mention I don’t believe have happened. Following every release there are guaranteed to be some people claiming near black processing has been tweaked and others have claimed an improvement in motion handling. These are never substantiated and are most likely a placebo response.
The exception of course is the Dolby Vision update which was effectively a bug fix supplied by Dolby due to material being incorrectly displayed on the TVs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,799 Posts
Hearing The Innocents on Netflix has some particularly bad floating black levels on '17 and '18 models (including the letterboxes). :-/
I watched the first episode last night and saw zero. I guess it’s different to see vs. hear :rolleyes:

Reactions: TheDude Abides

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hearing The Innocents on Netflix has some particularly bad floating black levels on '17 and '18 models (including the letterboxes). :-/
Yup. Watched episode 1 last night via Apple TV 4K on my LG C8 and there were gray black bars on some scenes. It's weird, in the same scene the camera would cut from one character talking and then to another and the black bars would shift from gray to dark black or vice versa on each edit. Really distracting.

Re-watched some of the episode via the Web OS Netflix app and there were no floating black levels. Black bars remained inky black.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Yup. Watched episode 1 last night via Apple TV 4K on my LG C8 and there were gray black bars on some scenes. It's weird, in the same scene the camera would cut from one character talking and then to another and the black bars would shift from gray to dark black or vice versa on each edit. Really distracting.

Re-watched some of the episode via the Web OS Netflix app and there were no floating black levels. Black bars remained inky black.
Ah the Apple TV 4K again, seem's like this is one of the main issue devices.

On my B6 I have yet to see raised black bars from any DV content I have played and I have played a fair bit now via the Oppo203.

It does seem most reports are from apple 4k tv device.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Ah the Apple TV 4K again, seem's like this is one of the main issue devices.

On my B6 I have yet to see raised black bars from any DV content I have played and I have played a fair bit now via the Oppo203.

It does seem most reports are from apple 4k tv device.
Yep, it does seem that way. With UHD discs that have Dolby vision I haven’t seen a single issue of raised blacks on my E6 since the update. Doesn’t mean other people aren’t having issues but the discs I’ve tried with my current gear isn’t showing any problems.

·
Registered
9,873 Posts
Because there are more of them and they have the largest library. There have complaints about all HDMI attached DV source devices.
The issue seems to be with the ATV 4K on my E6. All DV discs via my OPPO 203 play perfectly, while some of digital DV counterparts in itunes have elevated black issues.

·
Premium Member
10,247 Posts
The issue seems to be with the ATV 4K on my E6. All DV discs via my OPPO 203 play perfectly, while some of digital DV counterparts in itunes have elevated black issues.
Sure, but this isn't the "Status of DV raised black issue on 2016 LG OLEDS" thread and my comment was about the entire thread not just the recent 2016 traffic.

·
Registered
8,293 Posts

Good to know. I definitely won't even consider buying the Apple TV 4K until they have these issues ironed out. I'm happy to use my LG's Netflix app (although I'm using it with Atmos turned off because if I turn it on with Netflix and ARC, I get an uncorrectable audio delay).

·
Registered
293 Posts
Because there are more of them and they have the largest library. There have complaints about all HDMI attached DV source devices.
Sure I agree, but strange that I don't see any reports of raised blacks on DV with the 203 anymore since its latest updates, there is clearly something wrong still on the Apple device.

·
Premium Member
10,247 Posts
Sure I agree, but strange that I don't see any reports of raised blacks on DV with the 203 anymore since its latest updates, there is clearly something wrong still on the Apple device.
If you mean there continue to be interactions between the ATV4K and some displays with some content then sure. But it's not all content which argues against a generic ATV defect.

·
Registered
122 Posts
B6 - Final firmware posted to LG Korea website

Just posted this on the B6 & C6 thread, but thought I would share this here.
LG just posted what they are calling the final firmware for their 2016 UHD TVs.
No clue if this addresses the elevated black levels present on the B6 models.
I'm still on the older v4 firmware, so hesitant to jump into this blind.
Anyone adventurous enough to test it out and report back? :)

Anyway, here is a Google translate of the revision notes:

Good morning?

We will share the final S / W of Ultra HD TV released in 2016.

1. Applicable model

- XXUH79xx
- XXUH87xx

- OLEDXXB6K

2. Final Ver

3. Changes
ⓐ Fixed bug related to season (magnifying glass)

Ⓑ April MR execution Ver.

Ⓒ Fixed video related bugs (Dolby HDR popup problem / No video on YouTube)

Ⓓ Fixed problem that white pattern can not enter

Ⓔ HDR playback and SW update (volume position correction / voice interruption improvement)

대응 Improved Lip Sync problem when watching RF

개선 Improved response to Bluetooth initialization message

개선 Improved voice interruption with sound bar connection

대응 Correcting the occurrence of no blood signal when changing TV CH

Ⓙ SONY PS4-pro HDCP2.2 Fail (no signal)
ⓚ 70UH8730 / 8750 Correction for face color abnormalities

Ⓛ during video playback SDR in Korea toward T7 HDR Shop Equipment Color teuleojim

음성 Fixed the problem that the speaker caused voice noise (OLED B6K model is recognized)

Ⓝ HDR Input Rack (Supports HDR game mode)

Ⓞ the App termination of service on the pop-up guidance applicable (05.30.03)

Ⓟ No signal Change screen background picture (05.30.03)

Ⓠ Change to Amazon HDR mode (05.30.03)

Ⓡ Bluetooth headset volume complaint response (05.30.15)

Ⓢ Bug fix (05.30.25)

Pooq response due to contract expiration with ⓣ Channel Plus EveryOn (05.30.4
5)

1001 - 1020 of 1603 Posts