AVS Forum banner

1021 - 1040 of 1607 Posts

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
Just posted this on the B6 & C6 thread, but thought I would share this here.
LG just posted what they are calling the final firmware for their 2016 UHD TVs.
No clue if this addresses the elevated black levels present on the B6 models.
I'm still on the older v4 firmware, so hesitant to jump into this blind.
Anyone adventurous enough to test it out and report back? :)

Anyway, here is a Google translate of the revision notes:

대응 Improved Lip Sync problem when watching RF
What is RF?

대응 Correcting the occurrence of no blood signal when changing TV CH
Hmmm....

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
What is RF?

Hmmm....
These release notes are cumulative. Whatever they fixed there was long ago. Only the last line applies to this update.

Reactions: BuGsArEtAsTy

·
Registered
78 Posts
[QUOTE
대응 Correcting the occurrence of no blood signal when changing TV CH
[/QUOTE]

Easy one - was originally written by an Englishman; should read:-

Correcting the occurrence of no bloody signal when changing TV CH

Bloody right that something like that needs fixing!

;)

·
Registered
825 Posts
Also...regarding the comment about it being the final firmware...I think that’s just an error in translation. All the release notes have been saying that for the past year. My guess is that it means ‘most recent’ or final as in ‘non beta’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
Ready Player One gave me a bit of a scare.

I just got my Dolby Vision firmware update for my Marantz receiver (from 2015!) so I decided to try out the Ready Player One 4K disc I got the day before. I was pleased to see the "Dolby Vision" indicator light up on the corner of my TV screen, only to be treated to raised greys on the transition screens and the top and bottom bars of the disc menu page. My heart sank. :(

But it was only for the menu system. For the actual movie, the top and bottom are pitch black.

So, I guess menus are in Dolby Vision too on some of these Dolby Vision discs.

4K UHD Blu-ray player is a 2018 Panasonic DP-UB820, and TV is a 2018 LG C8 OLED.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ready Player One gave me a bit of a scare.

I just got my Dolby Vision firmware update for my Marantz receiver (from 2015!) so I decided to try out the Ready Player One 4K disc I got the day before. I was pleased to see the "Dolby Vision" indicator light up on the corner of my TV screen, only to be treated to raised greys on the transition screens and the top and bottom bars of the disc menu page. My heart sank. :(

But it was only for the menu system. For the actual movie, the top and bottom are pitch black.

So, I guess menus are in Dolby Vision too on some of these Dolby Vision discs.

4K UHD Blu-ray player is a 2018 Panasonic DP-UB820, and TV is a 2018 LG C8 OLED.
I could be reading these wrong, but it struck me that quite a lot of the posts here that mention the top & bottom bars not being fully black also note that this is during the start or end credits, but not during the Movie itself. Seems that sometimes these parts of the Movies don't get the "Love" & attention to detail that the Movie proper does. I agree with everyone that this should not be the case (And I do appreciate that, as has been discussed here, there are instances of raised blacks during the main part of some Movies), but certainly this will not spoil my enjoyment

What could have been a similar heart in mouth moment for me if, thank goodness, I had not read about it in advance, is the smoke behind the titles at the very beginning of Gladiator, looks like VHS quality, & without the pre-knowledge I would have been really worried that one of my all-time favourite Movies was going to look worse than my original DVD copy! :eek:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Not sure if this is a known issue for the particular movie, but I do NOT have Dolby Vision and was watching Ender’s Game in HDR10 via my Philips UHD player and LG C7 OLED, and for the first time ever on a UHD I immediately noticed raised blacks in the black bars

This has not happened while watching any other UHD disc (I have probably about 20). Is this a known issue for the HDR10 encode of Ender’s Game?

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Not sure if this is a known issue for the particular movie, but I do NOT have Dolby Vision and was watching Ender’s Game in HDR10 via my Philips UHD player and LG C7 OLED, and for the first time ever on a UHD I immediately noticed raised blacks in the black bars

This has not happened while watching any other UHD disc (I have probably about 20). Is this a known issue for the HDR10 encode of Ender’s Game?

Guess we need a new thread “Status of HDR10 raised blacks on OLEDS”.

Seriously, that is probably do to the dynamic tone mapping used on your LG. (But the HDMI streaming version of this title in DV had raised black issues. )

It would be nice to hear from more non LG owners to see if they see any of these issues.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I could be reading these wrong, but it struck me that quite a lot of the posts here that mention the top & bottom bars not being fully black also note that this is during the start or end credits, but not during the Movie itself. Seems that sometimes these parts of the Movies don't get the ...

I think people only notice it more at the beginning and end. The issue clearly happens during the questionable movies at other times.

·
Registered
9,875 Posts

Enders Game UHD is known to be a really bad encode. It looks significantly worse than the BD. An early UHD release that was really messed up.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I think people only notice it more at the beginning and end. The issue clearly happens during the questionable movies at other times.
I see where you are coming from, but would have to disagree. Firstly, I think that people's attention is even more fixed on the image during the main part of a movie than the beginning & end, & so people would notice raised blacks there, especially if it had caught their attention at the beginning. And secondly, as I stated in my original post, I don't think every company gives the attention to the opening & closing parts of Movies that they do to the main body, so something like this can slip through.

I fully accept that there are a number of Movies out there with raised blacks occurring occasionally throughout, and hopefully in the future we will see less and less of this as the UHD process fully matures.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I could be reading these wrong, but it struck me that quite a lot of the posts here that mention the top & bottom bars not being fully black also note that this is during the start or end credits, but not during the Movie itself. Seems that sometimes these parts of the Movies don't get the "Love" & attention to detail that the Movie proper does. I agree with everyone that this should not be the case (And I do appreciate that, as has been discussed here, there are instances of raised blacks during the main part of some Movies), but certainly this will not spoil my enjoyment

What could have been a similar heart in mouth moment for me if, thank goodness, I had not read about it in advance, is the smoke behind the titles at the very beginning of Gladiator, looks like VHS quality, & without the pre-knowledge I would have been really worried that one of my all-time favourite Movies was going to look worse than my original DVD copy! :eek:
I notice the problem in all sorts of scenes. On some movies it is just really easy to spot in the credits. However in others, such as Fury, the credits looked great. But the scene immediately preceding them was messed up.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Intro/title card for Ozark on Netflix is slightly elevated on my c7 with the Apple TV. It’s very subtle but you can notice it vs the internal app in a pitch black room.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Watching the Enders Game UHD on my system, the black levels are increased in the black bars specifically during the main movie. During space scenes there also appear to be slightly raised back levels. This is occurring on an LG C7 OLED in HDR10; however, the review on Blu-ray.com is from 2016, before the C7 was released and therefore must be on a different TV. The reviewer specifically mentions the same problem:

“And that brings us to one of the problematic aspects of this release—the black levels. While I didn't experience the odd, washed out black levels to the extent that I did with The Expendables 3 4K, there was still a somewhat milky grayness to the blacks, including the black bars masking the display frame to create the 2.40:1 aspect ratio of the film. As I discussed in our The Expendables 3 4K Blu-ray review, tweaking various settings on both the player and television allowed me to at least partially ameliorate this issue. Once again there seem to be variable experiences many early adopters of 4K UHD are experiencing with this release (as based on comments in our Forum), but I personally did not see any radical changes from scene to scene as some members are reporting.”

·
Registered
9,875 Posts
Watching the Enders Game UHD on my system, the black levels are increased in the black bars specifically during the main movie. During space scenes there also appear to be slightly raised back levels. This is occurring on an LG C7 OLED in HDR10; however, the review on Blu-ray.com is from 2016, before the C7 was released and therefore must be on a different TV. The reviewer specifically mentions the same problem:

“And that brings us to one of the problematic aspects of this release—the black levels. While I didn't experience the odd, washed out black levels to the extent that I did with The Expendables 3 4K, there was still a somewhat milky grayness to the blacks, including the black bars masking the display frame to create the 2.40:1 aspect ratio of the film. As I discussed in our The Expendables 3 4K Blu-ray review, tweaking various settings on both the player and television allowed me to at least partially ameliorate this issue. Once again there seem to be variable experiences many early adopters of 4K UHD are experiencing with this release (as based on comments in our Forum), but I personally did not see any radical changes from scene to scene as some members are reporting.”
Enders Game is a bad encode. It looks like crap on my E6, and just about every other 4K tv out there. It's not your tv. It's probably one of the worst UHD movies out there with regards to PQ and elevated blacks. Some of the early 4K releases are not very good.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
something that I just noticed with the movie blade runner (original) on apple tv 4k. it plays perfect on my A9F and on my LG C7 the opening credits the background is not inky black but rather near black almost gray. changing the brightness on my LG from default 50 to about 47 improves it but I'm pretty sure everyone on here says to leave the default dolby vision brightness setting alone. i guess this might be an issue with LG? I always thought it was the way apple encoded this particular movie.

·
Registered
825 Posts
something that I just noticed with the movie blade runner (original) on apple tv 4k. it plays perfect on my A9F and on my LG C7 the opening credits the background is not inky black but rather near black almost gray. changing the brightness on my LG from default 50 to about 47 improves it but I'm pretty sure everyone on here says to leave the default dolby vision brightness setting alone. i guess this might be an issue with LG? I always thought it was the way apple encoded this particular movie.

That’s a weird one. If I watch it in hdr mode (this is usually a workaround for elevated blacks) it looks awful and very grey throughout. If I watch the ultra hd disc in hdr, it looks exactly as it should.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

1021 - 1040 of 1607 Posts