AVS Forum banner

1041 - 1060 of 1609 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
something that I just noticed with the movie blade runner (original) on apple tv 4k. it plays perfect on my A9F and on my LG C7 the opening credits the background is not inky black but rather near black almost gray. changing the brightness on my LG from default 50 to about 47 improves it but I'm pretty sure everyone on here says to leave the default dolby vision brightness setting alone. i guess this might be an issue with LG? I always thought it was the way apple encoded this particular movie.
From this, it looks like Apple have not resolved this issue when playing material on every brand of TV. I would not blame the C7, but Apple's implementation of the fix for this issue. The new OS for ATV will be released very shortly, so it will be interesting to see if it corrects this problem. As I imagine the Engineers have been completely tied up with working on the new OS, there may not have been the opportunity for Apple to release a fix separately - also, there may not be enough people reporting this to them to persuade them to push out a quick fix. If it ain't an iPhone problem, it doesn't get priority ;)

I stay at 50 for Brightness & for me it is the best setting. That seems to be the general consensus as well :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
There is no difference in blade runner playback on tvos12

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Thanks for the info. As I wrote before, this might be a problem only effecting certain LG sets & ATV 4, so Apple might not even be aware of it as an issue if very few or no one has written to them about it. Or they might simply not care ;)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just got a 2018 LG c8 model. I’m interested in the Apple 4K, but I’m reading conflicting reports if the elevated black issue affects this model. I read that LG said the 2018 models have the updated firmware. Some people are saying the bars are inky black. Others are saying it’s not fixed. Not really interested in buying tha Apple 4K if the DV content is jacked up. Thoughts?g

·
Premium Member
10,247 Posts
Some people are saying the bars are inky black. Others are saying it’s not fixed. Not really interested in buying tha Apple 4K if the DV content is jacked up. Thoughts?g
Don't buy one -- you'll be unhappy.

·
Premium Member
10,247 Posts
Tthis might be a problem only effecting certain LG sets & ATV 4, so Apple might not even be aware of it as an issue if very few or no one has written to them about it. Or they might simply not care ;)
We assume Apple is well aware of the LG issue since they released an update that significantly improved the problem for the 2017 LG models. However issues with black levels is not limited to the ATV4K and is ultimately the responsiblity of the display manufacturer.

·
Registered
78 Posts
We assume Apple is well aware of the LG issue since they released an update that significantly improved the problem for the 2017 LG models. However issues with black levels is not limited to the ATV4K and is ultimately the responsiblity of the display manufacturer.
I am referring to the fact that people report some problems AFTER the update, Apple might not be aware the problem is not entirely fixed. And if people see a problem on a Movie when watching it on ATV4 but not when watching the physical disk, how is this the responsibility of the display manufacturer?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Don't buy one -- you'll be unhappy.

THanks for the reply. So in summary, a 2018 tv most people bought under the assumption that it does HDR and DV actually can’t deliver DV without issues unless it’s from an app that came with the tv. So an LG DV 4K Blu-ray player, and Apple TV 4K who both are advertised as DV capable box won’t actually work without issue with the TV that same TV that also has a DV logo on the box.

All this after LG fixed older models and claimed the 2018 models have the correct firmware.

I want to go into Best Buy and out my fist through every LG panel. LOL

·
Premium Member
10,247 Posts
... And if people see a problem on a Movie when watching it on ATV4 but not when watching the physical disk, how is this the responsibility of the display manufacturer?
You should review this thread and the Dolby white papers on how DV works. It remains LG's problem to fix.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Is there still a fix coming for 2016 oleds?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Opening credits to Mute seem much better with TV OS 12. Still not as good as the internal app but it’s hard to see even in a pitch black room.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
There is already a fix out there for DV via UHD discs for the 2016 models. I have no issues anymore with my DV discs.
Yep - I have had zero issues with DV discs on my E6 with my LG UBK-90 player. All good. Inky black bars :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
I see that 04.10.05 dropped today on the korean site and I'm curious if this helps with the issue. I'm stuck at work in the meantime or I'd test it myself.

·
Registered
78 Posts
So, this problem is "fixed"?

But... with newest software on both Atv and LG:

Compared to Netflix app on my LG OLED Tv, with same Dolby Vision content, black bars on top and bottom of the picture are not completely black on Apple TV. They are grey-ish. Why is that and what can be done? I tried experimenting with different video settings but nothing changed. From my experience, Netflix DV content looks far better on native TV app. It is a shame, because I like apple TV subtitles better.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Just got a 2018 LG c8 model. I’m interested in the Apple 4K, but I’m reading conflicting reports if the elevated black issue affects this model. I read that LG said the 2018 models have the updated firmware. Some people are saying the bars are inky black. Others are saying it’s not fixed. Not really interested in buying tha Apple 4K if the DV content is jacked up. Thoughts?g
LG C8/Atv 4K owner here, they are definitely not inky black. If there is a Dolby Vision show on Netflix, I watch it on LG internal App, that way bars are inky black. I think the problem is that streams are different: Apple TV one include the bars, and on LG is only the movie/tv show. That's why we se grayish bars.

1041 - 1060 of 1609 Posts