AVS Forum banner

1061 - 1080 of 1609 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same problem here (65C8). I was really hoping for the latest firmware to resolve this issue, but it did not. I must say I am extremely frustrated by this, as I am now stuck forcing HDR10 when watching a movie on my Apple TV as I find greyish black bars too distracting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
90 Posts
Anyone try watching Hold the Dark on the LG Netflix app? The blacks look raised to me on my C6 and there are several fade to black transitions where the whole screen (including letterbox bars) go grey.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Well I watched Jack Ryan via Amazon in Dolby Vision. With the regular brightness 50 settings black isnt perfectly black. But thats a source material problem. If I go down to 49 it is black. Its just that not every series or movie is made for OLED perfection....

But what about the Oppo now. The Oppo itself can perfectly play DV material or not? So it is only the TVs fault? Because of the raised black level in general I dont wanna go beyond the 4.* firmware for my B6. So with an Oppo and DV movies I might see black problems? Or are these black problems only during the credits and stuff?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Is the Dolby Vision raised black problem pretty much exactly the same as the newly introduced raised black (DV on or off) problem?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Anyone try watching Hold the Dark on the LG Netflix app? The blacks look raised to me on my C6 and there are several fade to black transitions where the whole screen (including letterbox bars) go grey.
Just to weigh in with some different results... G6, with Brightness 50: My letterboxing appeared to be black, throughout. I didn't notice any issues in the transitions. The only time I saw anything questionable was in the opening "white on black" credits. However, wrong or right, I had the impression that those may not have been playing against a "true black" background, but were being shown over an extremely dark, intentionally murky, picture. One further note... There was a new Netflix app offerred up today (with a 10/3/2018 release date). I did take that update before viewing, but I would seriously doubt that it had any sort of update that would have magically tweaked the DV content (but, admittedly, that's just a guess). All, FWIW.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wanted to confirm this issue still exists with a C8 panel and a 4K ATV *after* LG's recent 4.10.06 firmware update.

MINDHUNTER Ep. 1 via the ATV Netflix app shows grey letterbox bars when playing back in Dolby Vision.
MINDHUNTER Ep. 1 via the LG built-in Netflix app shows true black letterbox bars when playing back in Dolby Vision.

BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA (4K Dolby Vision from iTunes Store) shows grey letterbox bars when playing back in Dolby Vision.
BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA (4K Dolby Vision from iTunes Store) shows black letterbox bars when playback is forced to cross-convert to HDR.

Does anyone on the forums have any guidance for parties to contact at LG directly to agitate on this issue? My suspicion is that the standard customer service / help channels are going to do very little or nothing in terms of flagging this issue up the chain of command.

Frustrating that the biggest selling point of these OLED sets -- truly black black levels -- is not working correctly in this flagship HDR format.

·
Registered
9,878 Posts
Wanted to confirm this issue still exists with a C8 panel and a 4K ATV *after* LG's recent 4.10.06 firmware update.

MINDHUNTER Ep. 1 via the ATV Netflix app shows grey letterbox bars when playing back in Dolby Vision.
MINDHUNTER Ep. 1 via the LG built-in Netflix app shows true black letterbox bars when playing back in Dolby Vision.

BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA (4K Dolby Vision from iTunes Store) shows grey letterbox bars when playing back in Dolby Vision.
BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA (4K Dolby Vision from iTunes Store) shows black letterbox bars when playback is forced to cross-convert to HDR.

Does anyone on the forums have any guidance for parties to contact at LG directly to agitate on this issue? My suspicion is that the standard customer service / help channels are going to do very little or nothing in terms of flagging this issue up the chain of command.

Frustrating that the biggest selling point of these OLED sets -- truly black black levels -- is not working correctly in this flagship HDR format.
I would bet the issue is with how Apple delivers DV via their device, than an issue with the tv itself.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would bet the issue is with how Apple delivers DV via their device, than an issue with the tv itself.
It's certainly possible this is a bug on the ATV side, not with the panel.

That said, this thread has plenty of examples of the same issue occurring on non-ATV sources. Additionally, Forbes has run multiple reports about the issue, and these have indicated the fix needs to occur on the panel side via firmware.

In the end, it doesn't much matter to me which device is the cause of the problem; I just want it fixed. To that end, I thought I'd keep this discussion active and document that these floating black levels are still occurring as of late October 2018 on a 2018 model LG set running 4.10.06 and displaying DV sources off a 4K ATV.

Going forward, I'm looking for ways to make noise / report it to the relevant parties.

On the Apple side, I can certainly submit a Bug Report through the Developer interface.

Does anyone know if there's anything similar with LG?

·
Registered
9,878 Posts
It's certainly possible this is a bug on the ATV side, not with the panel.

That said, this thread has plenty of examples of the same issue occurring on non-ATV sources. Additionally, Forbes has run multiple reports about the issue, and these have indicated the fix needs to occur on the panel side via firmware.

In the end, it doesn't much matter to me which device is the cause of the problem; I just want it fixed. To that end, I thought I'd keep this discussion active and document that these floating black levels are still occurring as of late October 2018 on a 2018 model LG set running 4.10.06 and displaying DV sources off a 4K ATV.

Going forward, I'm looking for ways to make noise / report it to the relevant parties.

On the Apple side, I can certainly submit a Bug Report through the Developer interface.

Does anyone know if there's anything similar with LG?
I have no issues with DV UHD discs via my Oppo 203. Blacks are perfect, whereas watching the same movie via iTunes on the ATV have elevated blacks. So I don't think it's an issue with DV via HDMI. Apple uses a different DV profile compared to what discs and DV UHD players do.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have no issues with DV UHD discs via my Oppo 203. Blacks are perfect, whereas watching the same movie via iTunes on the ATV have elevated blacks. So I don't think it's an issue with DV via HDMI. Apple uses a different DV profile compared to what discs and DV UHD players do.
Grateful for this data point. I'll include this info in the bug report I submit to Apple.

·
Registered
825 Posts

The issue is that other displays are handling apples DV profile without issues. It looks like LG / Dolby fixed the bug for the profile used by UHD players but not the profile used by the Apple TV (or Xbox)

·
Registered
9,878 Posts
The issue is that other displays are handling apples DV profile without issues. It looks like LG / Dolby fixed the bug for the profile used by UHD players but not the profile used by the Apple TV (or Xbox)

The problem with the X Box is it's using a profile that sends DV via HDMI at 60hz. For us 2016 owners, that means DV will not work with the X Box since our tv's are incapable of processing DV at 60hz. ATV allows for DV at 60hz and 24hz. Now with the ATV, I don't know what is going on. As far as other displays, the only other OLED maker in US is Sony, and I haven't heard whether they have the issue or not. With LCD, they never achieve perfect black, so even if the black bars are at 1% black, most will never see that issue as getting blacks below 1% is virtually impossible.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Yeap I am still also getting some black level issues on the Apple TV for Dolby Vision content on my E6. Not nearly as bad as before but sometimes still noticeable in a completely dark room.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
I'm still not seeing the raised blacks through my AppleTV (or OPPO) since the fix. I've watched some Stranger Things S2, then Rough Night, and Baby Driver thru the AppleTV and it's been fine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
What about the 2018 models? Seems like the 2016 and 2017 panels were pretty much fixed via firmware updates.

I see the elevated blacks on a c8 65 inch. Why isn’t LG addressing this? I’ve read that the 2018 models would have the fix from the factory. This obviously isn’t true. Frustrating to say the least.

·
Registered
452 Posts
For what it's worth I'm still seeing elevated blacks this is on my LG C8 Firmware 04.10.06 on the Native Netflix App. There appears to be differing tone profiles on Cinema Home vs Cinema. For example when switching to plain Cinema the blacks are less elevated but the tone mapping is different. Adding dynamic contrast as low fixes this partially. Is this an issue with the TV, Netflix or perhaps the Dolby Vision libraries? Honestly sometimes I wish Netflix would let you turn off the HDR in these cases.

Examples:

Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events Season 2

The Haunting of Hill House

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have raised blacks with the Dolby Vision 2001: A Space Odyssey 4K UHD on my E6. This is infuriating. It is not the player; I’ve tried the X700 and the UBK90. Forcing HDR10 with the X700 restores perfect blacks, but I have to sacrifice DV. Man this sucks. I thought LG was supposed to have fixed this. Evidently not.

1061 - 1080 of 1609 Posts