AVS Forum banner

1201 - 1220 of 1609 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Your statement is not true for LG internal applications. Internal LG Netflix App doesn't sent the black bars info in the stream in Dolby Vision. Therefore, if the black is somehow rendered wrong in the stream, you will see it only on actual content and not on the letterbox black bars. I only use internal app and see tons of raised black errors across the available content.

However, the statement probably is true for external HDMI DV content, where letterbox are sent within the stream. I did quick test using Xbox One X Netflix app and could confirm I had consistent error on raised blacks during end credits and on the letterbox bars in the same time - they were essentially the same. Issue is far more worse on the Xbox One X and "contrast workaround" wasn't working here.
As I said, then, the issue seems to be with the streaming apps, not with the panel. If the panel wasn’t producing true black and it was a simple setting issue, then the problem would happen universally, regardless of the source. If you’re seeing true black via one method (UHD via HDMI) and not another (the Netflix app), then the issue lies with the app, not with the panel. That said, it would appear that this is still LG’s issue to correct if they’re responsible for the built-in app (or is that a Netflix problem?). I suppose one way to verify this would be to see if the issue impacts Netflix via a *player* app (not LG’s built-in variety)?

·
Registered
135 Posts
I believe you are absolutely right. As it is Christmas I strongly suggest treating yourself to at least one Dolby Vision Disk. May I suggest Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2 as an excellent choice to really appreciate your TV. This will hopefully either cure your obsession, or let you know it's time to bring in a Calibrator :)
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 does not have Dolby Vision on disc. Only HDR10.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 does not have Dolby Vision on disc. Only HDR10.
You're absolutely right - OK, then Matrix - that really shows off the format with DV.
I would also recommend Gladiator & Ready Player One (If you get Gladiator, the "smoke" in the background during the titles looks terrible - think VHS quality - but as soon as the Movie gets going, no problems!)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Watched A Quiet Place the other day (Oppo 203 > LG C7). Looked great, but in some of the very dark scenes everything (including the letterboxes) was slightly above black. Looks like a brightness level of 49 or 48 down from 50 would've fixed it, but that seems far too dark overall.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have my OPPO 203 play all HDR10 as DV. Looks better that way on OLED.
Why would it? Aren’t you just forcing the incorrect picture profile that way? Theoretically, I could do the same with my X700, but I assumed it wasn’t proper to force a DV profile when the disc isn’t encoded with it.

·
Registered
9,879 Posts
Why would it? Aren’t you just forcing the incorrect picture profile that way? Theoretically, I could do the same with my X700, but I assumed it wasn’t proper to force a DV profile when the disc isn’t encoded with it.
HDR10 on a 2016 OLED severely clips the high end. DV on the other hand adjusts to what the tv is capable of producing. You are now switching static HDR10 to dynamic DV HDR, which with first generation DV capable OLED tv's is much better. I can't comment how that would work on 2017 or 2018 models, but on 2016 models, it much better to force HDR10 to DV. There was someone on blu-ray.com who did a gamma comparison on the 2016 models forcing HDR10 to DV. The conversion to DV on the 2016 models produced an almost perfect DV gamma curve, while the HDR10 curve was way off. To be fair, if you calibrate HDR10, it will look just as good, but OOTB, forcing DV is a lot better.

·
Registered
108 Posts
What about the discrepancy between the brightness setting for HDR10 vs DV? I have HDR10 set to 51 (sub-brightness at 127), but DV set to 50. If I force an HDR10 disc into DV mode, should I stick with 50, or manually change it to 51??!

·
Registered
9,879 Posts
What about the discrepancy between the brightness setting for HDR10 vs DV? I have HDR10 set to 51 (sub-brightness at 127), but DV set to 50. If I force an HDR10 disc into DV mode, should I stick with 50, or manually change it to 51??!
Do not change it. Forcing HDR10 to DV, use your DV brightness setting.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2016 LG OLED 65 C6P with firmware 05.30.30
I have an Apple TV 4K on TVos 12.1.1
I have a PS4 Pro on software 6.20

I still experience elevated / washed out black levels when watching Dolby Vision content on Netflix through the Apple TV.

I now experience elevated / washed out black levels on the PS4 home screen when playing HDR (non DV) games.

I know 05.30.30 was supposed to fix the DV issue with the LG OLEDs, and while I think it addressed older content (Bright on Netflix now looks good), I think new DV content still suffers.

Anyone else experiencing this?

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
HDR10 on a 2016 OLED severely clips the high end. DV on the other hand adjusts to what the tv is capable of producing. You are now switching static HDR10 to dynamic DV HDR, which with first generation DV capable OLED tv's is much better. I can't comment how that would work on 2017 or 2018 models, but on 2016 models, it much better to force HDR10 to DV. There was someone on blu-ray.com who did a gamma comparison on the 2016 models forcing HDR10 to DV. The conversion to DV on the 2016 models produced an almost perfect DV gamma curve, while the HDR10 curve was way off. To be fair, if you calibrate HDR10, it will look just as good, but OOTB, forcing DV is a lot better.

Thank you for this post. Luckily I’m not the only one who noticed this. I had a suspicion that a forced DV picture with HDR10 as a source looks far better on my B6.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I also agree with Wxman that forced DV from the Oppo on my LG65E6 looks better than HDR10.

It greatly improved two of my problem UHD discs, Close Encounters and Crouching Tiger.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a C8 with a ATV4K and a Sony X700. Everything is updated. I have grey letterbox bars with DV content, but generally much better if I use the built-in Netflix TV app. The X700 is just as bad as the ATV and much worse with some scenes. I'm tempted to just dump DV and disable it for all my sources. It's obviously a hot mess. I don't think the (to my eyes) marginal improvement to the picture that HDR provides is worth the hassle. It's certainly not worth dealing with elevated black levels. I also have some 10% black banding issues.

I think I made a mistake going OLED. Should have waited for the Samsung Q90 it seems.

1201 - 1220 of 1609 Posts