AVS Forum banner

1421 - 1440 of 1603 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
I always test after a new update of TVOS. It is best to do so at night and with a fade to black screen. Unfortunately it is still present. My band aid is to lower the brightness by one click (from 50 to 49). Don't know of any side effects but for me this is the way to go.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
So, I do notice it in the black bars now. I can’t tell at all from my normal seating but right away on Episode 1 of Lost In Space I saw the dithering in the black bars. I had to put my eyeballs pretty close to the screen to tell though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
I dont know if anyone has actually tried raising the brightness while using built in apps but if you raise it to 51 or 52 you get the exact same thing even on built in apps, so this just may just be the fact that the Apple TV raises the brightness above what the default “50” should be displaying?

And does anyone have a side by side comparison of in-app at 50 brightness vs Apple TV at 49 brightness? Are we actually getting crushed details?

·
Registered
9,870 Posts
I dont know if anyone has actually tried raising the brightness while using built in apps but if you raise it to 51 or 52 you get the exact same thing even on built in apps, so this just may just be the fact that the Apple TV raises the brightness above what the default “50” should be displaying?

And does anyone have a side by side comparison of in-app at 50 brightness vs Apple TV at 49 brightness? Are we actually getting crushed details?
But we don't know if the ATV is 0.5% too high, 1% too high, etc. With a default of 50 and using the Spears and Munsil UHD disc, I can see that 50 is correct. With the ATV, it is not. Lowering brightness does make the black bars, but if the ATV is only off by 0.5%, and lowering brightness one or 2 clicks could lower it 1%, thus it could cause the ATV to crush 0.5% and lower.

·
Registered
436 Posts
And from all posts I've seen it's LG oleds that seems to have this issue. Don't see many/any sony, philips, panasonic or other oled brands saying this. So I would be careful saying ATV4K output is "wrong". On my older Sony AF8 oled it's always black and never grey for amazon/netflix stuff.

·
Registered
9,870 Posts
And from all posts I've seen it's LG oleds that seems to have this issue. Don't see many/any sony, philips, panasonic or other oled brands saying this. So I would be careful saying ATV4K output is "wrong". On my older Sony AF8 oled it's always black and never grey for amazon/netflix stuff.
That's true and it has to do with what DV profile they are using. I remember reading that with some of the Sony OLEDs, their DV processing crushed blacks. On the OPPO 203 there is a tv led and player led DV option, because the earlier Sonys did not have the processing power to decode DV, and thus Oppo had a player led profile in which the player did the work. Wasn't the best solution as tv led was better for tvs that could do the processing. Tv led is one DV profile, and player led is a newer DV profile. So there are at least 2 DV profiles.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I am curious if anyone has opinions as to whether the next Apple TV 4k (which could release any day now, per reports online) will solve this issue. Is there a chance Dolby fixed the elevated black levels with the upcoming updated Apple TV? Or does this issue have nothing to do with new devices and is simply something that should be solved through a software update?

I clearly see the elevated blacks on my LG C9 when watching DV content on the Apple TV 4k. At present, I am using HDR and not DV to avoid the grayish blacks.

·
Registered
9,870 Posts
I am curious if anyone has opinions as to whether the next Apple TV 4k (which could release any day now, per reports online) will solve this issue. Is there a chance Dolby fixed the elevated black levels with the upcoming updated Apple TV? Or does this issue have nothing to do with new devices and is simply something that should be solved through a software update?

I clearly see the elevated blacks on my LG C9 when watching DV content on the Apple TV 4k. At present, I am using HDR and not DV to avoid the grayish blacks.
I highly doubt Apple will change the way it encodes DV. So if you have the glow now, I doubt it will change with the new device.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I highly doubt Apple will change the way it encodes DV. So if you have the glow now, I doubt it will change with the new device.
Ive never noticed this black glow on my apple TV 4k box, not in the black bars anyway, when people mention they go grey.

I have a CX to set up shortly, coming from a B6, and that had the other black glow caused by a firmware, so with the B6 its alway been difficult to know the culprit.

·
Registered
83 Posts

So after noticing the elevated blacks in the bars using DV with my Apple TV, I switched to only using HDR. However, after reading another post, I tried using DV again but setting brightness to 49. To me, it seems to work very well in my test viewing in keeping black truly black. But I assume there is a downside. Any input?

·
Registered
60 Posts
So after noticing the elevated blacks in the bars using DV with my Apple TV, I switched to only using HDR. However, after reading another post, I tried using DV again but setting brightness to 49. To me, it seems to work very well in my test viewing in keeping black truly black. But I assume there is a downside. Any input?
With 49 or less, you get crushed blacks

·
Registered
83 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
I’m still confused as why there are elevated blacks on the ATV still with Dolby vision intent. I just picked up a LG CX, which has AirPlay 2, so its really easy to do a quick side by side comparison. Watching Oblivion now, and the first scene when you meet Morgan Freeman is a pretty good test. Black bars were looming a little grey to me, so I switched to Airplay. Exact same settings. Black bars totally different (perfectly black) when air playing. How is this still a thing?
Just got a 65CX, and I have watched a bunch of netflix DV material and havent noticed raised blacks until last night on Mandolorian. I am watching through a 2019 shield. On a dark scene, i clearly saw the letterboxes were darker than the material around it.

Netflix is fine, no issues there...not sure if its the source?

·
Registered
9,870 Posts
Here is a posting from Stacey Spears and a link to a file that you can download and put on a usb stick to set brightness correctly for DV. The very first word in that post (Here) is the link. Code value 64 is 0% so you don't want to see that flashing. You want to see the values between 64 and 82 flashing as 82 is 2%.

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=17629767&postcount=646

·
Registered
9,870 Posts
Just got a 65CX, and I have watched a bunch of netflix DV material and havent noticed raised blacks until last night on Mandolorian. I am watching through a 2019 shield. On a dark scene, i clearly saw the letterboxes were darker than the material around it.

Netflix is fine, no issues there...not sure if its the source?
As long as the letterbox bars are black, then that's not an issue. When we talk about elevated blacks with DV, we are talking about the letterbox bars not remaining black.

·
Registered
594 Posts
As long as the letterbox bars are black, then that's not an issue. When we talk about elevated blacks with DV, we are talking about the letterbox bars not remaining black.
ah, ok, sorry i misunderstood...thanks for the info

·
Registered
83 Posts
Here is a posting from Stacey Spears and a link to a file that you can download and put on a usb stick to set brightness correctly for DV. The very first word in that post (Here) is the link. Code value 64 is 0% so you don't want to see that flashing. You want to see the values between 64 and 82 flashing as 82 is 2%.

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=17629767&postcount=646
Thank you for posting. I will try this later tonight!

·
Registered
9,870 Posts
Using the test pattern on my E6 with brightness at 50, values 64 thru 67 remain black, with 68 and above flashing. I guess that's the best one can do with an E6 since DV can't be calibrated. So there is some slight black crush, probably around 0.5%. Since 82 is 2% and 99 is 4%, 72 has to be around 1% if 64 is 0%.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Using the test pattern on my E6 with brightness at 50, values 64 thru 67 remain black, with 68 and above flashing. I guess that's the best one can do with an E6 since DV can't be calibrated. So there is some slight black crush, probably around 0.5%. Since 82 is 2% and 99 is 4%, 72 has to be around 1% if 64 is 0%.
I just tried this test on my cx and I've always had to put brightness on 49 but using this test I see every number flash at default 50 but soon as I put it on 49 black crush all the way to 82 ie no flashing at all lol I wonder what is causing the raised blacks at Default 50 when using the test its correct but watching content u can see the raised blacks on Netflix via internal app or even gaming on some things and 49 seems to correct those things for example when starting a netflix show the bright N in the beginning of every Netflix show is like a 2 percent gray at Default 50 but 49 has it pitch black its annoying!! Lololol

1421 - 1440 of 1603 Posts