AVS Forum banner

1481 - 1500 of 1609 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
I'm using Auto for everything (the Oppo performing any scaling to 4K), with TV Led for DV. I should specify that any raised black due to using a custom 1D LUT (CalMAN AutoCal) remain. I switched to an uncalibrated picture mode on the C9 to check for raised blacks.

Thanks, don't really understand the last part, are you saying uncalibrated picture mode raised blacks are still a problem be it from internal source on TV or external device such as oppo203/apple tv 4k.

I hope LG fix this once and for all.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Thanks, don't really understand the last part, are you saying uncalibrated picture mode raised blacks are still a problem be it from internal source on TV or external device such as oppo203/apple tv 4k.

I hope LG fix this once and for all.
I'm saying that there has been an ongoing issue with raised blacks that occur as a result of the calibration process used by CalMAN and possibly some other calibration software, and that seems to be unrelated to the raised blacks that occur on Dolby Vision with the Apple TV 4K. Other that with the Apple TV 4K there are no raised blacks with uncalibrated picture modes that I'm aware of.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I'm saying that there has been an ongoing issue with raised blacks that occur as a result of the calibration process used by CalMAN and possibly some other calibration software, and that seems to be unrelated to the raised blacks that occur on Dolby Vision with the Apple TV 4K. Other that with the Apple TV 4K there are no raised blacks with uncalibrated picture modes that I'm aware of.
Ok well I haven't had my TV calibrated and I get raised blacks in DV with the above content (sabrina) that was mentioned on the internal netflix app when it fades to black after the intro.

Maybe it's the content though, do you know any content I could try via internal netflix app or a DV UHD that you know of that does not cause raised black's.

I'm just trying to rule out things, its such a minefield with DV.

Thank you

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Ok well I haven't had my TV calibrated and I get raised blacks in DV with the above content (sabrina) that was mentioned on the internal netflix app when it fades to black after the intro.

Maybe it's the content though, do you know any content I could try via internal netflix app or a DV UHD that you know of that does not cause raised black's.

I'm just trying to rule out things, its such a minefield with DV.
Yes, unfortunately it is. I haven't used the internal Netflix app at all, and I don't know of anyway to verify that any program black through it is truly encoded to be black. I've been using Ryan Masciola's Diversified Video Solutions Dolby Vision patterns on a USB drive as a reference for testing this. It has a 0% black window reference pattern in Dolby Vision, which I can use directly on the C9, or through the Oppo UDP-203. For the AppleTV 4K, I can only verify the raised black from the physical unit, because it is absent when using the built in app on the C9.

Reactions: gunner842

·
Registered
294 Posts
Yes, unfortunately it is. I haven't used the internal Netflix app at all, and I don't know of anyway to verify that any program black through it is truly encoded to be black. I've been using Ryan Masciola's Diversified Video Solutions Dolby Vision patterns on a USB drive as a reference for testing this. It has a 0% black window reference pattern in Dolby Vision, which I can use directly on the C9, or through the Oppo UDP-203. For the AppleTV 4K, I can only verify the raised black from the physical unit, because it is absent when using the built in app on the C9.
What do you mean by this, are talking about the apple tv app on the TV.

Do you have link to these test patterns please?

edit/no worries, found the site, just seen I would need to purchase.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
What do you mean by this, are talking about the apple tv app on the TV.
I'm talking about comparing the two. If I only see a raised black on the physical AppleTV then I don't know if its because there is a problem, or if the black just wasn't encoded to be full black (problem in the source content rather than the device). But if I compare the same black between the physical AppleTV and the Apple TV app on the TV and find them different, then I know one of them is wrong (in the device, not the content).

Do you have link to these test patterns please?

edit/no worries, found the site, just seen I would need to purchase.
Yes, diversifiedvideosolutions.com. You'd want one of the products/bundles that includes Dolby Vision. Yes, they are for purchase. They're the only evaluation patterns available for Dolby Vision that I'm currently aware of. Spears & Munsil are working on an update to their UHD HDR Benchmark which will include Dolby Vision evaluation patterns.

Reactions: gunner842

·
Registered
7 Posts
**Upon further testing and at night with all the lights off there are still raised blacks**

I just installed 13.4.8 beta.......and it appears to be fixed, I verified multiple times my brightness is at 50 and I no longer see raised blacks. Can anyone else verify? It appears my picture mode was set to Cinema and not Cinema Home. Looks like Cinema does not produce raised blacks.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
I just installed 13.4.8 beta.......and it appears to be fixed, I verified multiple times my brightness is at 50 and I no longer see raised blacks. Can anyone else verify?
What tv do u have?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
88 Posts
55C9

I edited my post, my Picture is set to Cinema mode, it still produces raised blacks on Cinema Home mode.

Is the beta firmware for the Apple TV? How do you get it? Can you downgrade if there are problems?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Is the beta firmware for the Apple TV? How do you get it? Can you downgrade if there are problems?

It is beta, no downgrade possible. Are you testing with Picture set to Dolby Cinema and not Dolby Cinema Home?

·
Registered
88 Posts
It is beta, no downgrade possible. Are you testing with Picture set to Dolby Cinema and not Dolby Cinema Home?
I have tried with both but won't be using a beta firmware. Hopefully the real one comes out soon.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
**Upon further testing and at night with all the lights off there are still raised blacks**

I just installed 13.4.8 beta.......and it appears to be fixed, I verified multiple times my brightness is at 50 and I no longer see raised blacks. Can anyone else verify? It appears my picture mode was set to Cinema and not Cinema Home. Looks like Cinema does not produce raised blacks.
For me 13.4.6 seems to have removed the extreme raised blacks when using the CalMAN AutoCaled Cinema picture mode (LG C9). The very slightly raised blacks that seem to always be present with Dolby Vision from any source after calibration (installation of a custom Dolby Vision Configuration File) do seem to remain present. However in uncalibrated Game picture mode, the extreme raised black from the AppleTV 4k remains present.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Watching Artemis Fowl on Disney+ I get raised blacks on the letterbars at around 11:44 into the movie on Apple TV vs the internal app on my C7.

Edit: also at 23:21. Very noticeable in dark scenes.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
How DoVi looking with the internal app?

1481 - 1500 of 1609 Posts