AVS Forum banner

1521 - 1540 of 1604 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Ok I don't knw why haven't thought of this before smh but I tried the same Netflix content on my Panny ub820 dolby vision cinema default 50 brightness and the 2 shows which I really saw this was ozark latest season episode 1 and the Witcher both during the beginning of the episodes. ozark has got some strange Pixelated stuff happening on the internal app and on the panny player. Its like a checkerboard of lines or something so that leads me to believe its the show itself and the Witcher well it was jet black on the panny at default 50 but 2 percent gray like on the internal app so that makes me think it's something wrong wit the Netflix internal app on the lg cx
Are you describing what I am seeing on picture attached?

Attachments

·
Registered
384 Posts
Is DV just broke on every LG OLED TV now? I can't find one piece of DV content that is able to display a true black screen at default brightness of 50 without some kind of glow across various devices and the internal app.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Are you describing what I am seeing on picture attached?
Exactly it. The grid type thing and it's on a few of the ozark season 3 intros. At first I thought it was a Netflix issue or the show itself issue so then I started to investigate and the raised blacks are on almost everything and as another poster said Turning brightness to 49 solves it wit some small crush. Ive seen it on games as well but mainly just on the Xbox one X I've spoken about this on the cx since the beginning but I have everything on 49 brightness until further notice

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Is DV just broke on every LG OLED TV now? I can't find one piece of DV content that is able to display a true black screen at default brightness of 50 without some kind of glow across various devices and the internal app.
If u have a cx yes dolby is a mess it wasnt like that on my c9 though well not on all dolby content but it was an issue as well

·
Registered
92 Posts
I just tried this on my 55 LG C9 and I can replicate it on that set too. I actually have to decrease the brightness to 48 on the C9 to solve the problem.

The same stranger things scene flashing on my C9 too.

·
Registered
9,873 Posts
On my 2016 E6, it’s only broke on the ATV. On all other devices, and internal apps, DV is perfect with no elevated blacks.

·
Registered
384 Posts
On my 2016 E6, it’s only broke on the ATV. On all other devices, and internal apps, DV is perfect with no elevated blacks.

Are you watching in a pitch black room? There's a slight glow for everything on my C7's internal app, although it's very faint and you really only notice it if you pause on something like credit transitions.

·
Registered
9,873 Posts
Are you watching in a pitch black room? There's a slight glow for everything on my C7's internal app, although it's very faint and you really only notice it if you pause on something like credit transitions.
Yes, I watch in a pitch black room. Now there are times when the area between the letterbox bars are not black in fade outs, but the letterbox bars remain black. If you see that, it's not the tv, but the encode on the disc or video where black is not completely black. As long as letterbox bars remain black with DV, there is nothing wrong.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Yes, I watch in a pitch black room. Now there are times when the area between the letterbox bars are not black in fade outs, but the letterbox bars remain black. If you see that, it's not the tv, but the encode on the disc or video where black is not completely black. As long as letterbox bars remain black with DV, there is nothing wrong.
I get a slight glow on the whole screen. HDR10 version of the same content will be true black.

·
Registered
9,873 Posts
I get a slight glow on the whole screen. HDR10 version of the same content will be true black.
That stinks. Why DV is perfect on my 4 year old OLED and the newer models have issues, is crazy. Now if they could fix the DV issues on the ATV, I would be happy.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
That stinks. Why DV is perfect on my 4 year old OLED and the newer models have issues, is crazy. Now if they could fix the DV issues on the ATV, I would be happy.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2018/01/10/apple-tv-4ks-dolby-vision-problem-a-fix-is-on-its-way/#52bd0de72906

Are we still waiting on the update from this article? This was 2 years ago and someone in the Apple forums linked this and said that the issue is with LG needing to update the firmware. Crazy if two years out and still not hearing about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,342 Posts

My 65 C8 has no issues at all with DV content and brightness at 50. I don't use the internal apps.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
My 65 C8 has no issues at all with DV content and brightness at 50. I don't use the internal apps.

From what I understand is that the CX series has problems with everything at the moment and the C9, C8, C7, and C6 only have a problem with DV on the Apple TV 4K. I could be wrong though.

·
Registered
199 Posts
My 65 C8 has raised blacks (subtle, you really have to look for it in a pitch black room) with DV content (on Apple TV 4K) and brightness at 50 (and every other brightness level that doesn't crush shadow detail). I don't use the internal apps.

I do use an NVIDIA Shield as well which does not exhibit the issue.

I suspect I'd see it on your TV under the correct/requisite conditions.

--H

·
Registered
16,342 Posts
My 65 C8 has raised blacks (subtle, you really have to look for it in a pitch black room) with DV content (on Apple TV 4K) and brightness at 50 (and every other brightness level that doesn't crush shadow detail). I don't use the internal apps.

I do use an NVIDIA Shield as well which does not exhibit the issue.

I suspect I'd see it on your TV under the correct/requisite conditions.

--H

Maybe. I've had another AVS member who lives close to me view my panel and he couldn't see any issues. If one looks hard enough, you can find an issue with any tv but the point is looking hard enough. I don't believe in looking for issues if one can't see any pq problems under their normal viewing conditions. I don't watch tv in a pitch black room and on occasion will even use a low level bias light when using the ATV4k. If I don't see it, nor anyone else under my viewing conditions, it doesn't exist. No panel is perfect.

·
Registered
16,342 Posts
From what I understand is that the CX series has problems with everything at the moment and the C9, C8, C7, and C6 only have a problem with DV on the Apple TV 4K. I could be wrong though.

Don't know. I use the ATV4k for all of my HDR streaming and have never seen any issues with dark scenes, loss of detail, etc. Others who have viewed my C8 have said the same thing.

1521 - 1540 of 1604 Posts