AVS Forum banner

1541 - 1560 of 1645 Posts

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Don't know. I use the ATV4k for all of my HDR streaming and have never seen any issues with dark scenes, loss of detail, etc. Others who have viewed my C8 have said the same thing.

I hear ya, like you said, definitely don’t look for it. I didn’t think I had it at first either but it was there. I watch with lights on as well so I had to make my room dark and then I noticed it. My only issue is that if it’s there (minor or not) LG should definitely get it worked out. Since it doesn’t bother you, that’s great! I wish I hadn’t gone out of my way to look...haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
199 Posts
Maybe. I've had another AVS member who lives close to me view my panel and he couldn't see any issues. If one looks hard enough, you can find an issue with any tv but the point is looking hard enough. I don't believe in looking for issues if one can't see any pq problems under their normal viewing conditions. I don't watch tv in a pitch black room and on occasion will even use a low level bias light when using the ATV4k. If I don't see it, nor anyone else under my viewing conditions, it doesn't exist. No panel is perfect.
With respect, reports of not having the issue are only worthwhile if the person reporting that they do not have the issue have positively tested and looked for the issue. Especially when the issue is subtle like this one.

When troubleshooting an issue of any kind, it is worthwhile to hear from folks who have thoroughly tested and looked for it because that can give everyone a sense of how widespread an issue actually is and give us a basis for troubleshooting. We can essentially compare the problematic and non-problematic units and try to isolate why one exhibits the problem and the other doesn't. Sometimes, it's even possible to fix an issue by making the problematic unit more like the non-problematic unit.

But, that all goes out the window when people who very well might have the issue (even though they don't notice it and/or mind) pop in and just sorta blithely say: "I don't have this issue." That really muddies the water and can even result in trying to chase down red herrings (ie., trying to identify what factor results in someone not having the issue when they in fact do have the issue).

Again, I say the above with respect and don't want to start a fight. We've agreed a lot in the past in other threads and I don't want to cause a ruckus now. But. . . well, being someone who troubleshoots things for a living. . . false negatives are a bit of a pet peeve. Sorry!

--H

·
Registered
16,960 Posts
With respect, reports of not having the issue are only worthwhile if the person reporting that they do not have the issue have positively tested and looked for the issue. Especially when the issue is subtle like this one.

When troubleshooting an issue of any kind, it is worthwhile to hear from folks who have thoroughly tested and looked for it because that can give everyone a sense of how widespread an issue actually is and give us a basis for troubleshooting. We can essentially compare the problematic and non-problematic units and try to isolate why one exhibits the problem and the other doesn't. Sometimes, it's even possible to fix an issue by making the problematic unit more like the non-problematic unit.

But, that all goes out the window when people who very well might have the issue (even though they don't notice it and/or mind) pop in and just sorta blithely say: "I don't have this issue." That really muddies the water and can even result in trying to chase down red herrings (ie., trying to identify what factor results in someone not having the issue when they in fact do have the issue).

Again, I say the above with respect and don't want to start a fight. We've agreed a lot in the past in other threads and I don't want to cause a ruckus now. But. . . well, being someone who troubleshoots things for a living. . . false negatives are a bit of a pet peeve. Sorry!

--H

No need to apologize. I understand and appreciate your comments. We won't argue :). We are just approaching this from different angles. My pet peeve is that when a comment is made that ALL OLED's have a specific issue, that could affect a person's decision to buy or not buy what is still the best pq around. Most folks are not as anal as those of us here on AVS are so I think it's valid to comment that while the issue may be prevalent with OLED's, the user may not see it so their viewing experience is not impacted. As I've said before, if I don't see an issue, and I do carefully view my panels under various normal conditions during the return window period, then if problems are inherent but not perceivable, I ignore them because I know if I start to run slides or some of the other methods for assessing a panel I will find things, because no panel is perfect, and that would bother me ;).

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
I can definitely see the issue with DV via the ATV. When I play a DV disc via my OPPO 203, letterbox bars remain inky black on my E6. When I play the same DV movie via the digital code on my ATV via iTunes or Vudu, blacks are elevated. Same movie via Vudu on the tv app or through the Shield, blacks are not elevated. To this day, I still use the internal apps to watch vudu, netflix, prime as DV is fine, while the ATV has issues with all 3.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Yeah, I don’t really have problems with the letterbox bars being above black aside from Apple TV. Without a meter I can’t say for sure if they’re 0% black at all times, but by the naked eye it isn’t noticeable.

The biggest problem now seems to be full screen 0% black screens and transitions. Where before it seems like it used to be either full black or grey, now it’s pretty much slightly above black for everything (except for the opening credits on Mute, which are grey with the internal app when they used to be pure black).

There’s been so many firmware and DV updates since these problems came up years ago it’s hard to pinpoint when the change occurred, but the trade off seems to be the slight glow that is only noticeable in pitch black conditions vs ugly grey screens that are noticeable no matter what.

·
Registered
17 Posts
To anyone mentioning the c9 has raised blacks on external sources besides ATV4K, it’s not true. I have 4.80.03 on my c9 with a fire stick 4k and Dolby vision has perfect r blacks when I test through the Netflix test patterns video and 400 nit RBG pattern video graded in DV. I’m viewing in a pitch black room also. I saw frozen 2 in DV and the blacks are pitch black when Elsa does into the unknown

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
To anyone mentioning the c9 has raised blacks on external sources besides ATV4K, it’s not true.
It is, and has long been true when a custom 1D LUT is used (via AutoCAL or other calibration software) with HDR 10 and Dolby Vision. However this raised black is extremely minor in comparison to what has typically been occurring with ATV4K Dolby Vision via HDMI, and is close to being undetectable. There may be other external HDMI Dolby Vision sources that behave similarly to the ATV4K.

Oddly, with tvOS 13.4.6 in combination with the Dolby Vision Cinema preset (which I have calibrated), I'm only getting the minor raised black (from the 1D LUT issue), and not the significant raised black that's typical for the ATV4K DV. However on uncalibrated picture modes (factory 1D LUT) I'm still getting the significant raised black on the ATV4K DV, but no raised black from other sources. (This is true with the recent C9 software 04.80.03, and the previous 04.71.25.)

·
Registered
912 Posts
After the latest CX 3.10.20 update last night, still seeing raised blacks at 50 with DV on ATV 4k...still see it, albeit less obvious with 49 brightness. It isnt constant, but seems to happen with bright flashes on the scene.

Attachments

·
Registered
414 Posts
After the latest CX 3.10.20 update last night, still seeing raised blacks at 50 with DV on ATV 4k...still see it, albeit less obvious with 49 brightness. It isnt constant, but seems to happen with bright flashes on the scene.
Are you able to test with internal apps?

I have started to use the internal apps, once we get this firmware in the UK, I will do a little testing between both apple tv 4k and internal apps, while I still have the Apple box connected.:)

·
Registered
912 Posts
Are you able to test with internal apps?

I have started to use the internal apps, once we get this firmware in the UK, I will do a little testing between both apple tv 4k and internal apps, while I still have the Apple box connected.:)
A few people confirmed the issue is still there on internal apps as well on the cx/gx owner's thread. But also, someone said the issue is fixed with 50 brightness on their cx and apple tv? I'm lost :)

Reactions: gunner842

·
Registered
17 Posts
It is, and has long been true when a custom 1D LUT is used (via AutoCAL or other calibration software) with HDR 10 and Dolby Vision. However this raised black is extremely minor in comparison to what has typically been occurring with ATV4K Dolby Vision via HDMI, and is close to being undetectable. There may be other external HDMI Dolby Vision sources that behave similarly to the ATV4K.

Oddly, with tvOS 13.4.6 in combination with the Dolby Vision Cinema preset (which I have calibrated), I'm only getting the minor raised black (from the 1D LUT issue), and not the significant raised black that's typical for the ATV4K DV. However on uncalibrated picture modes (factory 1D LUT) I'm still getting the significant raised black on the ATV4K DV, but no raised black from other sources. (This is true with the recent C9 software 04.80.03, and the previous 04.71.25.)
Ah, I havnt used the Calibration software so I guess that’s why I don’t have any issues. I know the CX still has raised DV black levels out of the box

·
Registered
912 Posts
Can anyone confirm if the 2019 shield pro doesnt have the raised blacks in dolby vision issue? Pondering returning the apple tv for a shield if it doesnt have the issue...thanks

·
Registered
434 Posts
I don't think it has anything to do with a calibration since the problem exists regardless and across LG's entire lineup. Anyone that doesn't see it probably isn't looking hard enough in ideal conditions, because it's admirably otherwise hard to notice.

At this point I think it's just the way LG's hardware DV implementation works.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Ah, I havnt used the Calibration software so I guess that’s why I don’t have any issues. I know the CX still has raised DV black levels out of the box
This is what I don't get, should there be a fix for out the box raised blacks, lowering to 49 helps, but that isn't a solution.

Oled should have perfect blacks no matter if it's calibrated or not calibrated.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don't think it has anything to do with a calibration since the problem exists regardless and across LG's entire lineup. Anyone that doesn't see it probably isn't looking hard enough in ideal conditions, because it's admirably otherwise hard to notice.

At this point I think it's just the way LG's hardware DV implementation works.

i looked very closely in a pitch black room at DV content from netflix with a pure black background. its not raised at all on my external device being the fire stick 4k. I believe this is an issue with apple tv because it uses profile 5 player led DV while the fire stick uses muliple profiles. so to say that it exists across all lineups is false. Its been confirmed that the 2020 series suffers from raised DV blacks as seen on HDTV test video review. the c9 has no raised blacks as long as you dont calibrate it with the software or mess with the 1D LUT

·
Registered
912 Posts
i looked very closely in a pitch black room at DV content from netflix with a pure black background. its not raised at all on my external device being the fire stick 4k. I believe this is an issue with apple tv because it uses profile 5 player led DV while the fire stick uses muliple profiles. so to say that it exists across all lineups is false. Its been confirmed that the 2020 series suffers from raised DV blacks as seen on HDTV test video review. the c9 has no raised blacks as long as you dont calibrate it with the software or mess with the 1D LUT
As it seems this issue has been around for 2 years or so, and not likely to be addressed, I think my ATV4k is going back for a shield...thanks for all the info!

A bit disappointing as I am so invested in the apple ecosystem and really like the ability to use my phone/watch as a remote or keyboard for the ATV, but the raised blacks are really annoying me, especially on an OLED

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
ATV also must use multiple DV profiles. One has to be a tv led profile as my E6 can not handle a player led profile, only a tv led profile. Yet the blacks are still elevated with the device. No other device produces elevated blacks with DV.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I just checked on my Fire TV Stick 4K, and the glow is still there just like it is with my Shield on my C7.

Again, it’s very subtle and you have to pause and let your eyes adjust to even see it, but it’s definitely there and not present when playing the HDR10 version. I tried to take a picture with my phone, but I don’t think the camera is able to show the difference.

1541 - 1560 of 1645 Posts