AVS Forum banner

1561 - 1580 of 1623 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
i looked very closely in a pitch black room at DV content from netflix with a pure black background. its not raised at all on my external device being the fire stick 4k. I believe this is an issue with apple tv because it uses profile 5 player led DV while the fire stick uses muliple profiles. so to say that it exists across all lineups is false. Its been confirmed that the 2020 series suffers from raised DV blacks as seen on HDTV test video review. the c9 has no raised blacks as long as you dont calibrate it with the software or mess with the 1D LUT
I just checked on my Fire TV Stick 4K, and the glow is still there just like it is with my Shield on my C7.

Again, it’️s very subtle and you have to pause and let your eyes adjust to even see it, but it’️s definitely there and not present when playing the HDR10 version. I tried to take a picture with my phone, but I don’️t think the camera is able to show the difference.

I did check carefully on my c9. I can’t speak for the c7

·
Registered
17 Posts
hello everyone, i noticed last night in a pitch pitch black room that the black bars in red dead 2 were slightly grainy black especially when i looked up close. I dont know if this is a tv issue yet since rd2 in hdr mode has raised blacks to begin with due to the gamr rendering it like that. I will do some tests tonight when their is no ambient light and let you know if there is actual raised blacks on the c9 in hdr

·
Registered
793 Posts
ok so plugged the shield in and watched the same 2 videos i had bad issues with on ATV4k.

On default 50 brightess, i saw sporadic flickering gray in letterboxes, and much less gray flickering in dark scenes.

Once I dropped the brightness to 49, 99% of the flickering in letterboxes went away and only appeared when transitioning from a dark scene to a bright one. It was also a bit different, instead of flickering gray, the entire letterbox is lit gray and then goes away immediately.

So, based on this the shield is much, much better at raised blacks in DV than the apple tv is. I think the apple tv is going to be returned because it is way more obvious and distracting than the shield.

So, to me, its one of 2 things...the TV or dolby vision. Since I think we would hear about it if it was a DV issue since every single owner of a tv that supports dolby vision woud report this, I am going to have to say its the TV?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
ok folks i did my crack test methods on my c9: using a fire stick 4k

in a pitch black room at 50 brightness using a youtube hdr video of just a black screen showing for a minute straight, there was no raised blacks. I even tried putting the brightness up to 51 and saw it was noisy and when i dropped it back to 50, it became pure black again. I did all this looking from afar AND extremely up close.

I also had the black video on and turned off the tv at the same time to see if there was a difference because in theory, there should be no change in picture since it already should look like its off with a pure black background. It did not change when i turned the tv off so i believe its an issue with RDR2, as eurogamer even found that rdr2 raises gamma in HDR mode, even with the game hdr mode patch.

i tried looking really up close to see any signs of the tell tale grainy blacks that I saw but as far as my eyes could see after being adjusted to the dark room, there was no grain unless i bumped up brightness to 51.

im torturing myself trying to find if there is raised gamma but all signs point to NO as it displays true blacks at default 50 brightness.

I could not perform this test on xbox since the xbox youtube app does not support hdr so i used the next best thing which was the firestick

Some of you will notice when you boot up a game that some title or credit screens dont have pure blacks, and i believe this isnt the tv fault but how that particular scene was rendered. For example, for gears 5, the coalition intro sequence has a gray background when it does its video but after, when the game is loading and all there is is the huge gears icon on the left and its blue and black, the black background is pure black which means the game CAN do pure blacks but its how they decided to show that particular scene. Now i did a test during that scene where the icon is spinning in the bottom right and the huge gears cog sign is there and only after i raised the brightness up to 52, did the scene turn to gray instead of pure black. This leads me to believe the gamma was not being increased at all by the tv since I had to MANUALLY make it look gray by bumping up the brightens by 2 points.

Same goes for other games like AC Origins, some loading screens when you boot it up will be inky black while some wont so i believe that its not the TV, its just how those tile cards were supposed to be displayed by the devs.

regarding DOLBY VISION,

youtube does not support it so i could not find an easy test video of just a black screen rendered in DV so i went up close to the black bars in various disney plus content and did not see the grainy black bars that indicate raised gamma. I also viewed netflix Our Planet, the deep sea one where I know there are some scenes with pure blacks from my B8 days. Nothing changed and it looked like the abyss. Finally there is the "400 Nit HDR sRGB Graphics Test" netflix video that is encoded in DV and the black backgrounds are supposed to be pure black. Observation up close, it was pure black and I compared it with the apple tv and the ATV raised the black backgroud up a bit where i could see some sort of banding that wasnt apparent on the fire stick.

In conclusion,

regardung MY LG C9, there is no raised blacks in any mode at brightness 50.

·
Registered
17 Posts
ok so plugged the shield in and watched the same 2 videos i had bad issues with on ATV4k.

On default 50 brightess, i saw sporadic flickering gray in letterboxes, and much less gray flickering in dark scenes.

Once I dropped the brightness to 49, 99% of the flickering in letterboxes went away and only appeared when transitioning from a dark scene to a bright one. It was also a bit different, instead of flickering gray, the entire letterbox is lit gray and then goes away immediately.

So, based on this the shield is much, much better at raised blacks in DV than the apple tv is. I think the apple tv is going to be returned because it is way more obvious and distracting than the shield.

So, to me, its one of 2 things...the TV or dolby vision. Since I think we would hear about it if it was a DV issue since every single owner of a tv that supports dolby vision woud report this, I am going to have to say its the TV?

everyone on these forums is in agreement the ATV 4k does not display true blacks on LG tvs. my fire stick does it perfectly so i wouldnt say its the tv. try the internal tv app and see if blacks are raised. if they are then its the tvs problem otherwise dont use ATV since its a piece of **** on LG tvs

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
everyone on these forums is in agreement the ATV 4k does not display true blacks on LG tvs. my fire stick does it perfectly so i wouldnt say its the tv. try the internal tv app and see if blacks are raised. if they are then its the tvs problem otherwise dont use ATV since its a piece of **** on LG tvs
The internal apps are fine with DV on my E6. IMO, it's better to use the internal apps. They still work fine on my 2016 OLED with Netflix, Vudu, Amazon and Disney+. DV is perfect with those internal apps. In fact, I still get 24hz with DV on Netflix with the internal app, not like my Fire Cube 2 that converts it to 60hz. And since my tv cant do 4K60 with DV, the Cube switches it to 1080p60 for DV for Netflix and Disney+.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts

in a pitch black room at 50 brightness using a youtube hdr video of just a black screen showing for a minute straight, there was no raised blacks. I even tried putting the brightness up to 51 and saw it was noisy and when i dropped it back to 50, it became pure black again. I did all this looking from afar AND extremely up close.

I also had the black video on and turned off the tv at the same time to see if there was a difference because in theory, there should be no change in picture since it already should look like its off with a pure black background. It did not change when i turned the tv off so i believe its an issue with RDR2, as eurogamer even found that rdr2 raises gamma in HDR mode, even with the game hdr mode patch.

i tried looking really up close to see any signs of the tell tale grainy blacks that I saw but as far as my eyes could see after being adjusted to the dark room, there was no grain unless i bumped up brightness to 51.

im torturing myself trying to find if there is raised gamma but all signs point to NO as it displays true blacks at default 50 brightness.

I could not perform this test on xbox since the xbox youtube app does not support hdr so i used the next best thing which was the firestick

Some of you will notice when you boot up a game that some title or credit screens dont have pure blacks, and i believe this isnt the tv fault but how that particular scene was rendered. For example, for gears 5, the coalition intro sequence has a gray background when it does its video but after, when the game is loading and all there is is the huge gears icon on the left and its blue and black, the black background is pure black which means the game CAN do pure blacks but its how they decided to show that particular scene. Now i did a test during that scene where the icon is spinning in the bottom right and the huge gears cog sign is there and only after i raised the brightness up to 52, did the scene turn to gray instead of pure black. This leads me to believe the gamma was not being increased at all by the tv since I had to MANUALLY make it look gray by bumping up the brightens by 2 points.

Same goes for other games like AC Origins, some loading screens when you boot it up will be inky black while some wont so i believe that its not the TV, its just how those tile cards were supposed to be displayed by the devs.

regarding DOLBY VISION,

youtube does not support it so i could not find an easy test video of just a black screen rendered in DV so i went up close to the black bars in various disney plus content and did not see the grainy black bars that indicate raised gamma. I also viewed netflix Our Planet, the deep sea one where I know there are some scenes with pure blacks from my B8 days. Nothing changed and it looked like the abyss. Finally there is the "400 Nit HDR sRGB Graphics Test" netflix video that is encoded in DV and the black backgrounds are supposed to be pure black. Observation up close, it was pure black and I compared it with the apple tv and the ATV raised the black backgroud up a bit where i could see some sort of banding that wasnt apparent on the fire stick.

In conclusion,

What do I type in the search bar for the dolby pattern on Netflix?

·
Registered
416 Posts

regarding DOLBY VISION,

In conclusion,

How do the opening credits of Mute on Netflix look on your C9 with the internal Netflix app?

I also don’t see a plain black screen on any of those Netflix patterns.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Can someone tell me some content from Netflix that they have seen raised blacks on via the apple tv 4k and no raised blacks on the internal app ?

I have the apple 4k box and netflix internal app currently so want to try some DV content from Netflix that is known to be fine on internal tv app but raised on apple box.

Also it would be really cool if people mentioned what firmware they are on when they post their findings.

I'm currently on 3.00.70 on LG CX, I will test when I get the latest 3.10.20 firmware as well.

But just need some content that people have tested and found different results from the apple box and internal app.

Thanks

·
Registered
793 Posts
Can someone tell me some content from Netflix that they have seen raised blacks on via the apple tv 4k and no raised blacks on the internal app ?

I have the apple 4k box and netflix internal app currently so want to try some DV content from Netflix that is known to be fine on internal tv app but raised on apple box.

Also it would be really cool if people mentioned what firmware they are on when they post their findings.

I'm currently on 3.00.70 on LG CX, I will test when I get the latest 3.10.20 firmware as well.

But just need some content that people have tested and found different results from the apple box and internal app.

Thanks
I am on 3.10.20

The 2 things I am watching to test are:
Dr. Strange on disney+...this has constant flashing gray letterboxes
Warrior Nun s1e1 on Netflix...this has constant floating blacks in dark scenes (you can see it in the backgrounds and on the one scene where the girl has the back of her head to the camera), which is the first 10-15 minutes (thats all i watch to test, cant comment on the rest)

Reactions: gunner842

·
Registered
17 Posts

Thanks

It’s a know issue on the CX thst LG is aware of that DV gamma is raised. Even HDTV test posted this. When he did his c9 review, he only said gamma was raised if you messed with the cal man 1D lut where as DV is raised out of the box for CX

·
Registered
358 Posts
I am on 3.10.20

The 2 things I am watching to test are:
Dr. Strange on disney+...this has constant flashing gray letterboxes
Warrior Nun s1e1 on Netflix...this has constant floating blacks in dark scenes (you can see it in the backgrounds and on the one scene where the girl has the back of her head to the camera), which is the first 10-15 minutes (thats all i watch to test, cant comment on the rest)
Issues on both apple tv 4k and internal app with these?

It’s a know issue on the CX thst LG is aware of that DV gamma is raised. Even HDTV test posted this. When he did his c9 review, he only said gamma was raised if you messed with the cal man 1D lut where as DV is raised out of the box for CX
I know, but I keep reading different comments on here and it all gets a bit confusing, so wish to test myself with content that people say is fine on internal app and raised on apple tv 4k.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Issues on both apple tv 4k and internal app with these?

I know, but I keep reading different comments on here and it all gets a bit confusing, so wish to test myself with content that people say is fine on internal app and raised on apple tv 4k.

Apple TV...haven’t used internal apps

Reactions: gunner842

·
Registered
16,726 Posts

I disagree. My ATV4k plays quite nicely (pq wise) with my C8. Perfect? No. But you have to look really hard to see issues, which I don't.

·
Registered
17 Posts
How do the opening credits of Mute on Netflix look on your C9 with the internal Netflix app?

I also don’t see a plain black screen on any of those Netflix patterns.
i cant speak for internal as my tv isnt conencted to internet. i tried mute with my fire stick and the opening credits have pitch black backgrounds

·
Registered
416 Posts
i cant speak for internal as my tv isnt conencted to internet. i tried mute with my fire stick and the opening credits have pitch black backgrounds
Hmm, well my c7 isn’t capable of displaying a full black screen with Dolby Vision anymore at 50 brightness, either with an internal app or hdmi device. Been testing a few things. Just tried Infinity War on Disney+ at about 1:30:30 into the movie the screen is slightly above black with the internal Disney app in DV. Perfect black over HDMI in HDR10. :confused:

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Hmm, well my c7 isn’t capable of displaying a full black screen with Dolby Vision anymore at 50 brightness, either with an internal app or hdmi device. Been testing a few things. Just tried Infinity War on Disney+ at about 1:30:30 into the movie the screen is slightly above black with the internal Disney app in DV. Perfect black over HDMI in HDR10. :confused:
What am I supposed to type in for the Netflix patterns that displays the black background? I've seen some on there but its just a audio check or something on a gray background

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
I replied to you post in the CX thread about the raised black bars and couldn't really see anything but when I tested at night despite not seeing the weird effect in the black bars like you posted I could certainly see that the bars were grey and the also the content had raised blacks as well, extremely noticeable at the very start of Ozark and during the Ozark intro logo about 2 minutes in on season 3 episode 3. Have not tried any other content yet.

As you described, it was like checkerboard of lines on a grey background, looked awful.

This was on Apple TV 4K box and the Internal Netflix app.

I presume its the content thats screwed up here?, never been impressed with Ozark DV picture quality.

Do you have any other content I can test, I'm trying to figure out DV raised blacks in general on the CX and DV raised blacks on just the Apple TV 4k box.

Thanks
Basically any dolby vision movie or show on the internal app. What I look at is the intros that show the Netflix logo in the beginning of these shows and movies. In a dark room I pause it during the Netflix logo and normally that screen is supposed to be jet black but with dolby its gray or Basically like parts of the screen is gray and the other half is black aka floating blacks or raised

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
What am I supposed to type in for the Netflix patterns that displays the black background? I've seen some on there but its just a audio check or something on a gray background
SPE HDR Test patterns and Test Patterns are the only 2 test patterns I know of in Netflix.

1561 - 1580 of 1623 Posts