AVS Forum banner

1581 - 1600 of 1623 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
can anyone with the latest TVOS 14 beta let us know if this issue exists? there is word that it might be fixed with ios 14

Ha literally just signed up for the beta for this exact reason...downloading the beta now...will report back shortly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
793 Posts
Ha literally just signed up for the beta for this exact reason...downloading the beta now...will report back shortly

Can confirm it is NOT fixed in tvOS 14 beta...

·
Registered
150 Posts
I’ve been noticing raised blacks with hdr10 through Apple TV 4K a lot lately as well. Dawn of the planet of the apes, war for the planet of the apes, Prometheus, Alien Covenant, Hanna (Prime), etc.

In DOTPOTA, in the beginning right before you see Caesars face, the screen should be black, but isn’t.

In WFTPOTA, when the colonel hits Caesars home, there’s a part with a green laser from a gun shining through blackness. That scene is supposed to be black, but isn’t. Same situation with Prometheus in a similar scene with a flashlight.

Dropping brightness to 49 seems to fix it except on Prometheus which needs a drop to 47. I didn’t watch through these movies entirely so it’s likely there are other situations where the raised black happens.

The odd thing is, I don’t think the black bars are being raised. They seem to be jet black.

Of course this is during night time viewing in a dark room. Otherwise you won’t notice.

·
Registered
416 Posts
After reading through the 8, 9, and X LG threads I found that lowering CONTRAST to 99 more or less eliminates the problem on my C7 internal apps and nvidia Shield, and it seems to be the lesser of two evils between lowering brightness and contrast even though both settings are tied to tone mapping.

Pretty happy with this solution since LG will probably never fix the problem.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I’ve been noticing raised blacks with hdr10 through Apple TV 4K a lot lately as well. Dawn of the planet of the apes, war for the planet of the apes, Prometheus, Alien Covenant, Hanna (Prime), etc.

In DOTPOTA, in the beginning right before you see Caesars face, the screen should be black, but isn’t.

In WFTPOTA, when the colonel hits Caesars home, there’s a part with a green laser from a gun shining through blackness. That scene is supposed to be black, but isn’t. Same situation with Prometheus in a similar scene with a flashlight.

Dropping brightness to 49 seems to fix it except on Prometheus which needs a drop to 47. I didn’t watch through these movies entirely so it’s likely there are other situations where the raised black happens.

The odd thing is, I don’t think the black bars are being raised. They seem to be jet black.

Of course this is during night time viewing in a dark room. Otherwise you won’t notice.
Always wondered about this, that if the black bars are jet black and at times the movie itself has raised blacks, is that how the content was mastered or is it still a DV issue, can anyone confirm?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Standard Range and HDR/HDR10 content look perfect to me on the AppleTV 4K. All content (including Dolby Vision) looks perfect on internal apps and nvidia Shield.

But, Dolby Vision on 65C8 is the issue. Noticed the issue constantly watching "Greyhound" (new Tom Hanks WWII naval movie) which is an AppleTV exclusive. Every time the movie would fade to a black screen (which was often). . . there was visible glow. Of course, as said prior, you need to be in a fully dark room or your eyes won't be able to detect.

--H

·
Registered
416 Posts
FWIW, the glow was always slight worse on Apple TV for me (I think it outputs a slightly brighter DV picture in general or something), and it's also the only platform that gave me problems with the letterboxes too. I'll have to hook mine back up to see if my one tick Contrast adjustment fixed it on that too for at least the full screen black problem.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
FWIW, the glow was always slight worse on Apple TV for me (I think it outputs a slightly brighter DV picture in general or something), and it's also the only problem that gave me problems with the letterboxes too. I'll have to hook mine back up to see if my one tick Contrast adjustment fixed it on that too for at least the full screen black problem.

Just to add I have actually done a meter test with the ATV compared to my internal C9 apps and they were the same, so I was pretty relieved there. Just the absolute black seems to be affected. I actually tested some same scenes in the FireTV and some readings were slightly different than the built in apps and the ATV. So aside from absolute black (which is important) there is no overall brightness increase.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I thought the floating blacks issue was limited to dv content only? I’m watching dark season 3 episode 4 on Netflix right now (sdr) and I’m seeing floating/flashing all over the place? Can someone throw this episode on for me and see if you see it as well? It’s pretty much the entire episode but a good scene to watch is from 14:18...the letterboxes are fine, jet black...it’s the actual content

18:00 also when the woman walks into the church...the entire background is flickering (the doors) and when she is inside the pews behind her are flashing

At 20:15 when the man has his back to the camera his black suit is flashing

And again at 46:50...the dark background is flashing gray pretty much the whole time

I am viewing on a cx

Isf dark picture mode, oled light 60 and gamma bt1886

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
I thought the floating blacks issue was limited to dv content only? I’m watching dark season 3 episode 4 on Netflix right now (sdr) and I’m seeing floating/flashing all over the place? Can someone throw this episode on for me and see if you see it as well? It’s pretty much the entire episode but a good scene to watch is from 14:18...the letterboxes are fine, jet black...it’s the actual content

18:00 also when the woman walks into the church...the entire background is flickering (the doors) and when she is inside the pews behind her are flashing

And again at 46:50...the dark background is flashing gray pretty much the whole time

I am viewing on a cx

That really isn't the same as the elevated blacks associated with DV. With DV, even the black letterbox bars are not not black. What you like are seeing is compression issues which is quite common with streaming SDR material. At best, you are only getting around 7 to 10 Mbps with SDR streaming. So one of the solutions to make the video look better is that they bit starve near blacks, since there isn't as much data in the near blacks. Depending on how much they compress the SDR feed, you will notice a lot of issues in near black scenes, such as pulsating. That's because with OLED, each pixel can turn off and on, and if there is not much data being recieved in the near blacks, pixels may randomly turn on and off producing the pulsating appearance. There is not much you can do. SDR material looks like garbage when it is streamed. Not even close to 1080p that you would see on blu ray with the higher bit rate.

·
Registered
793 Posts
That really isn't the same as the elevated blacks associated with DV. With DV, even the black letterbox bars are not not black. What you like are seeing is compression issues which is quite common with streaming SDR material. At best, you are only getting around 7 to 10 Mbps with SDR streaming. So one of the solutions to make the video look better is that they bit starve near blacks, since there isn't as much data in the near blacks. Depending on how much they compress the SDR feed, you will notice a lot of issues in near black scenes, such as pulsating. That's because with OLED, each pixel can turn off and on, and if there is not much data being recieved in the near blacks, pixels may randomly turn on and off producing the pulsating appearance. There is not much you can do. SDR material looks like garbage when it is streamed. Not even close to 1080p that you would see on blu ray with the higher bit rate.
ah, ok, makes total sense, thanks for the explanation! Curious though I dont remember seeing it as much on my shield...maybe different bitrate? thanks again!

·
Registered
542 Posts

I am viewing on a cx

Sorry to hear you are seeing those.
I checked those timestamps and see none of those issues on my calibrated C9 using Lightspace on the internal app.

I use isf dark at reference 100 nits in a pitch black room.
Oled Light 29
Contrast 85
Brightness 50

DV/HDR have no raised blacks currently unless 1d/3d luts are uploaded with the current firmware, or as some have experienced with Atv.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
793 Posts
Sorry to hear you are seeing those.
I checked those timestamps and see none of those issues on my calibrated C9 using Lightspace on the internal app.

I use isf dark at reference 100 nits in a pitch black room.
Oled Light 29
Contrast 85
Brightness 50

DV/HDR have no raised blacks currently unless 1d/3d luts are uploaded with the current firmware, or as some have experienced with Atv.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
From a response to my same post in the CX owner's thread, it sounds like the stuff I am seeing is streaming compression artifacts, not raised/floating blacks like we have in DV

1581 - 1600 of 1623 Posts