AVS Forum banner

1601 - 1615 of 1615 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
So I use a Philips Hue Sync Box between my OLED and my AVR for use with my hue lights which sync with the colors of the content on screen. The box received an updated recently with Dolby Vision support and now the elevated blacks will are gone. The box can be configured with an accompanying app where the user can select how the Dolby Vision content is processed. On the player or on the tv.

Happy to inform that the elevated blacks are gone. The picture is now comparable with the DV in the internal apps of the tv.
Which setting got rid of the elevated blacks problem player or tv?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Noticed the letterbox bars on the Jurassic World demo clip on the Dolby Vision internal app are noticeably above black on my C7.

heh

·
Registered
472 Posts
Noticed the letterbox bars on the Jurassic World demo clip on the Dolby Vision internal app are noticeably above black on my C7.

heh
I can see it in the JW demo as well as the Skyscraper demo. It's barely noticeable on my C7, but distractingly blatant on my CX. I don't see it at all on my C9. I don't see elevated black on any DV content from my Oppo 203 on any of them.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Standard Range and HDR/HDR10 content look perfect to me on the AppleTV 4K. All content (including Dolby Vision) looks perfect on internal apps and nvidia Shield.

But, Dolby Vision on 65C8 is the issue. Noticed the issue constantly watching "Greyhound" (new Tom Hanks WWII naval movie) which is an AppleTV exclusive. Every time the movie would fade to a black screen (which was often). . . there was visible glow. Of course, as said prior, you need to be in a fully dark room or your eyes won't be able to detect.

--H
I see this on the C8 as well for all Dolby Vision content whether I'm watching content from an internal app or from my Panasonic 820 UHD Blu-ray player.

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
I see this on the C8 as well for all Dolby Vision content whether I'm watching content from an internal app or from my Panasonic 820 UHD Blu-ray player.
If the letterbox bars remain inky black, but blacks between the letterbox bars are elevated at times, then there is nothing wrong with the tv. You are accurately seeing the DV content the way it was encoded. Now if the letterbox bars are elevated with DV content like I see only on the ATV4K on my E6, then it's the ATV4K. I have no elevated blacks with internal apps or via my OPPO 203 or Panasonic 9000 UHD players.

·
Registered
45 Posts
If the letterbox bars remain inky black, but blacks between the letterbox bars are elevated at times, then there is nothing wrong with the tv. You are accurately seeing the DV content the way it was encoded. Now if the letterbox bars are elevated with DV content like I see only on the ATV4K on my E6, then it's the ATV4K. I have no elevated blacks with internal apps or via my OPPO 203 or Panasonic 9000 UHD players.
For what it’s worth I don’t see the same elevated/glowing blacks if I play the same scene in HDR10 (one good example is the overture that opens 2001:A Space Odyssey). I would not expect a completely black scene to differ that much or at all between Dolby Vision and HDR10.

I don’t have another TV that can playback any HDR formats to see if it also has that big of a difference between Dolby Vision and HDR10.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Reading through some of the comments it seems the raised black issue only occurs in streaming apps and media boxes? Does playing 4k UHD disc or gaming exhibit the same issue too? Also does the issue affect LG CX too?

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
Reading through some of the comments it seems the raised black issue only occurs in streaming apps and media boxes? Does playing 4k UHD disc or gaming exhibit the same issue too? Also does the issue affect LG CX too?
I have no issues with UHD discs in DV on my E6. I do believe the CX does have an issue with elevated blacks with all DV, including discs. LG was aware of the issue and was going to send out a fix. Whether that has happened, I do not know. Those in the CX thread may have more info on that.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I have no issues with UHD discs in DV on my E6. I do believe the CX does have an issue with elevated blacks with all DV, including discs. LG was aware of the issue and was going to send out a fix. Whether that has happened, I do not know. Those in the CX thread may have more info on that.
I see, thanks. I might just have to disable DV altogether then since I'm content with HDR10 anyway.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Unfortunately, I must confirm that the new TvOS 14.0 did NOT solve the raised blacks in DV via Apple 4k box on the LG C9

Now I am definitevely sure that the issue will not ever be solved.

·
Registered
180 Posts
So IMHO this is Apple issue as Nvidia when they activated G-sync (VRR of HDMI 2.1 on 2.0b) on Lg c9 had the same issue in HDR only, ten they fixed it almost immidiately. Dunno about Dolby Vision, but it is also supported. Somebody should check. Works in Netflix and Mass Effect Andromeda on Windows 10 1909 at least (1703 introduced it and then the broke it).

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
Unfortunately, I must confirm that the new TvOS 14.0 did NOT solve the raised blacks in DV via Apple 4k box on the LG C9

Now I am definitevely sure that the issue will not ever be solved.
Same thing on my E6. Guess we will have to wait for a new ATV box to see if they fix it with hardware.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I'm going to get an OLED TV this fall, and keep going back and forth between the LG and the Sony. I don't game, and I prefer the Android TV interface, but I'm really hung up on the fact that I can get the LG through Costco and have warranty for much longer. I think up to 6 or 7 years with my Costco Visa, and it's generally a little cheaper than the Sony so I'd just get a Shield TV maybe.

But this raised blacks thing has me concerned, and while I've been reading this thread, I'm hoping for a little clarification...

- This affects just the LG, not the Sony?

- Is this just for Dolby Vision? Is HDR10 fine? Is there an option in the TV to display HDR10 instead of Dolby Vision? So far my experience with Dolby Vision on my Vizio LCD is pretty much a hot mess. Super dark and muddled picture in any dark-ish scenes, and whether it's director's intent or not, I find HDR10 much more pleasing. Dolby Vision just ends up being too much work to watch.

- Is this just for Apple TV? Are internal apps or other devices like the Shield ok? I am using an Apple TV with my current LCD, and that may be contributing to my Dolby Vision issues there as well, although it's not much better through the TV apps.

- What are people doing to deal with it? Just not watching Dolby Vision, or changing settings? I wouldn't want to get it if I'm unsatisfied waiting for an update that might not ever come. Most of my viewing is 4K/HDR content on Netflix, Prime, etc, and some standard streaming on HBO, Hulu and ESPN. I watch enough streaming content that would be in Dolby Vision or HDR that if its a problem it would bother me.

Thanks.

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
I'm going to get an OLED TV this fall, and keep going back and forth between the LG and the Sony. I don't game, and I prefer the Android TV interface, but I'm really hung up on the fact that I can get the LG through Costco and have warranty for much longer. I think up to 6 or 7 years with my Costco Visa, and it's generally a little cheaper than the Sony so I'd just get a Shield TV maybe.

But this raised blacks thing has me concerned, and while I've been reading this thread, I'm hoping for a little clarification...

- This affects just the LG, not the Sony?

- Is this just for Dolby Vision? Is HDR10 fine? Is there an option in the TV to display HDR10 instead of Dolby Vision? So far my experience with Dolby Vision on my Vizio LCD is pretty much a hot mess. Super dark and muddled picture in any dark-ish scenes, and whether it's director's intent or not, I find HDR10 much more pleasing. Dolby Vision just ends up being too much work to watch.

- Is this just for Apple TV? Are internal apps or other devices like the Shield ok? I am using an Apple TV with my current LCD, and that may be contributing to my Dolby Vision issues there as well, although it's not much better through the TV apps.

- What are people doing to deal with it? Just not watching Dolby Vision, or changing settings? I wouldn't want to get it if I'm unsatisfied waiting for an update that might not ever come. Most of my viewing is 4K/HDR content on Netflix, Prime, etc, and some standard streaming on HBO, Hulu and ESPN. I watch enough streaming content that would be in Dolby Vision or HDR that if its a problem it would bother me.

Thanks.
There are different issues. The 2020 LG models have issues with all DV, no matter the source. The blacks are elevated. LG said they are working on it. Months have gone by, and still no fix, which tells me the issue is not easy to fix. On older LG models, the DV issue is just with the ATV4K.

·
Registered
62 Posts
There are different issues. The 2020 LG models have issues with all DV, no matter the source. The blacks are elevated. LG said they are working on it. Months have gone by, and still no fix, which tells me the issue is not easy to fix. On older LG models, the DV issue is just with the ATV4K.
I have a C7 and it has elevated blacks with all DV content from all sources, including internal apps. Brightness 49 fixes it but makes it far too dark overall. When I say elevated I mean visible only in a completely dark room.

1601 - 1615 of 1615 Posts