AVS Forum banner

1621 - 1640 of 1645 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Brightness @49 fixes dolby vision blacks on the netflix show 'you' season 2. I tested it with the ending credits of episode 6 which should have a total blackout of the screen.

of course not sure if this should be classed as a fix.. more of a work around... does anyone have any calibrated settings with the brightness set at this level? even just a dirty calibration to bring back the brightness... not too fussed about pinpoint accuracy.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Brightness @49 fixes dolby vision blacks on the netflix show 'you' season 2. I tested it with the ending credits of episode 6 which should have a total blackout of the screen.

of course not sure if this should be classed as a fix.. more of a work around... does anyone have any calibrated settings with the brightness set at this level? even just a dirty calibration to bring back the brightness... not too fussed about pinpoint accuracy.
Full screen 100% black doesn’t seem possible with the current DV firmware regardless of source. Brightness 49 is crushing blacks. Lowering contrast by 1 is probably a better alternative.

Hopefully a future DV update fixes it, because it used to be fine with internal apps at least.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Full screen 100% black doesn’t seem possible with the current DV firmware regardless of source. Brightness 49 is crushing blacks. Lowering contrast by 1 is probably a better alternative.

Hopefully a future DV update fixes it, because it used to be fine with internal apps at least.

Cheers mate. I can confirm You season 2 episode 6 has 2-3 full black screens but then 1-2 black screns which should be black but aren't.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I’m using bias lighting on my B9 so the slightly raised blacks aren’t noticeable to me anymore. It used to drive me crazy knowing I was crushing black by lowering brightness so now I’m satisfied. But now that the “black” bars are no longer black, am I risking burn in in those areas since the bars are grey?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Any updates on this fix? I watched a couple Dolby Vision 4K Blu Rays the other night that had some pretty extreme issues with the black levels at certain parts and weird flickering posterization in the black bars during a dimly lit scene where a candle was flickering.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Any updates on this fix? I watched a couple Dolby Vision 4K Blu Rays the other night that had some pretty extreme issues with the black levels at certain parts and weird flickering posterization in the black bars during a dimly lit scene where a candle was flickering.
Supposedly the new firmware will fix these issues but no ETA on the release yet. In the meantime you’ve got two choices to resolve the issues.

You can set brightness to 49, or you can go into the service menu and set the Sub Brightness to 127. I’ve tried both and the service menu option is definitely the way to go. I notice no difference in the PQ, but the issue with flickering letterbox bars on HDR material is gone. Setting the brightness to 49 crushed blacks and dimmed the picture overall....you lose a little of that HDR pop.

Reactions: jordanwalkert

·
Registered
901 Posts
Supposedly the new firmware will fix these issues but no ETA on the release yet. In the meantime you’ve got two choices to resolve the issues.

You can set brightness to 49, or you can go into the service menu and set the Sub Brightness to 127. I’ve tried both and the service menu option is definitely the way to go. I notice no difference in the PQ, but the issue with flickering letterbox bars on HDR material is gone. Setting the brightness to 49 crushed blacks and dimmed the picture overall....you lose a little of that HDR pop.
Sub menu 127 fixed the flashing letterbox bars but did not fix the near black flickering in actual content. Guess my only hope is the firmware

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
63 Posts
Sub menu 127 fixed the flashing letterbox bars but did not fix the near black flickering in actual content. Guess my only hope is the firmware

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It’s interesting that there seem to be so many variations in our individual displays. I never had the issue with actual content, just the bars. Some claim that they have no issues with blacks at all. I have to wonder if they’re just not watching under the right conditions with the right content to see it?

Reactions: saiyanzzrage

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
Just remember, if you do lower sub brightness to 127, you have to raise brightness 1 click for each picture setting. So if prior to lowering, your brightness was 50, it will need to be 51 afterwards. I had to do that on my E6. I still get perfect blacks with DV with a brightness of 51 after lowering sub brightness to 127. Same with HDR, and SDR. HDR at 51. SDR gamma 2.2 set at 51. With my tv, the reason to lower was my screen would glow even with brightness at 0 for all settings. Lowering to 127, eliminated the glow. Then I could set the brightness properly.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Just remember, if you do lower sub brightness to 127, you have to raise brightness 1 click for each picture setting. So if prior to lowering, your brightness was 50, it will need to be 51 afterwards. I had to do that on my E6. I still get perfect blacks with DV with a brightness of 51 after lowering sub brightness to 127. Same with HDR, and SDR. HDR at 51. SDR gamma 2.2 set at 51. With my tv, the reason to lower was my screen would glow even with brightness at 0 for all settings. Lowering to 127, eliminated the glow. Then I could set the brightness properly.
D-Nice advised to leave brightness at 50 when you change S/B to 127 on the CX.

Reactions: Cam1977

·
Premium Member
6,331 Posts
D-Nice advised to leave brightness at 50 when you change S/B to 127 on the CX.
Yup exactly what he did during my calibration, in fact it was one of the first changes he made, and brightness was left at 50 afterwords.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Yup exactly what he did during my calibration, in fact it was one of the first changes he made, and brightness was left at 50 afterwords.
My tv is also calibrated, but my calibrator didn’t touch the service menu. Is it safe for me to do also, will the picture still be accurate?

·
Premium Member
6,331 Posts
^I woud only touch that setting if you have any raised blacks with HDR10/DV that is obvious and not source related. Also, you have to go into SM to change sub brightness...so you gotta be careful.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Is there a known issue with raised blacks on HDR content (not dolby vision)? I was experimenting with HDR movies and noticed that dark scenes weren't completely dark, but lowering the brightness to 49 fixed that. However I've heard that filmmakers intentionally don't make the scenes completely black.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is there a known issue with raised blacks on HDR content (not dolby vision)? I was experimenting with HDR movies and noticed that dark scenes weren't completely dark, but lowering the brightness to 49 fixed that. However I've heard that filmmakers intentionally don't make the scenes completely black.
I’ve had some weird flickering and posterization in the black bars and near black areas of a few scenes with HDR10 content. It’s rare, and much more present in DV, but I have experienced it. Specifically during the 4K Blu Ray of La La Land. There’s a dark scene where they’re eating dinner by candlelight and it was very noticeable. I am currently testing the SB 127 setting from the Service Menu and it seems to have improved it so far. Haven’t tested it extensively yet though.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Yeah, albeit much rarer, i have seen it sporadically in HDR10, and also in HDR games, specifically Ghost of Tsushima on scene transitions the entire screen is gray, not black, and in cutscenes in the letterboxes

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Will this issue be fixed on the 2021 OLEDS or is it an inherent fault of the technology or will people be screwed if they use the same panels next year and it is not fixable by firmware?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Is this an issue with the C9?

1621 - 1640 of 1645 Posts