AVS Forum banner

381 - 400 of 405 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Want to add my 2/100 of a dollar here.

We built a new home and had a $200K Control4 system installed. Absolute garbage. At best the system is unstable and unreliable needing constant reboots and "adjusting the matrix and baluns". At worst the system just fails to work.

I have to reboot the whole system at least once a week by powering everything off and then back on. The video distribution fails to work more often than it works. The tech has been out at least 20 times and it failed again yesterday.

The lighting control will randomly lock up requiring all the dimmer packs to be rebooted by turning off the breakers and then back on.

The "comfort" (thermostats) has worked correctly for a total of about three days. Every time the tech resets it it works for a few hours and then fails again. We can see the temperatures of the zones but can't set anything.

The intercom is a joke with so much lag that trying to have a conversation is more difficult than a tech support call to Mumbai. The security cameras only update every twenty seconds.

The only thing that works remotely reliably is the audio distribution.

If you are interested the system was installed by Audio-Video Experience out of Hampton Falls, NH.
I wanted to add more...I also have a very extensive setup and experience none of the problems you are describing. I have nearly 200 C4 devices (Keypads, dimmers and remotes), 4k video matrix (8 zone powering 10 end points) with a mixed device setup, theatre, 24 zone audio system, etc.

From the what you describe if you are having issues with the video distribution and the baluns there is something wrong with the wiring or they specced the wrong baluns for your end points.

As far as the other issues I'm wondering if you do have network issues. I assume that you intercoms are hard wired. If not, they should be. My dealer said they will never (unless the client insists) run them over wifi due to potential lag. When we installed our door stations and in-wall keypads it was a PITA for them to get the wiring in-place but they did it.

With that said...what you are experiencing would be SUPER frustrating but it is not my experience with C4 at all.

·
Registered
27,014 Posts
I don’t have C4 but have a Crestron system with NVX 4K HDR distribution baluns (6 sources, 3 displays). Their respective Ethernet cables are all ran to a dedicated PoE switch in the equipment room.

The system was having issues, crashing my internet, spotty, dropping video and causing mayhem with other devices randomly.

The issue was not Crestron but the programming of the dedicated PoE+ switch. Too much of a PoE power draw on the switch.

Crestron, probably like C4, has white papers on programming instructions and settings for network switches and, in fact, recommends certain high power switches (eg Cisco - which I employ).

Like the above poster, with keypads, switches, alarm, audio, etc I have well over 100 devices running through Crestron. Switching is almost instantaneous even with 4K HDR sources.

Check the network and network equipment and programming.

·
Registered
850 Posts
For a while Blackwire was selling preconfigured Cisco Switches for Just Add Power/C4 installs for Video Matrix. So if a dealer wasn't comfortable doing the proper settings (as @thebland) mentions you could buy it preconfigured "off the shelf" if you will.

It is VERY rarely the Control4 hardware at fault. Its a computer, I am sure 1 out of X are DOA just like buying a Dell or HP. But most of the issues are related to networking. That is why C4 purchased Pakedge, why they created a certification course that really just focuses on Networking for Home Automation, etc. Dealers can use any hardware they want though there is a "do not list" that does circulate.

That said, when most of these problems are posted it BECOMES C4's fault because their name is on "the project" but its usually tied into something with a switch/router or cabling and something was not spec'd or configured properly.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Yes, I think it's a fundamental issue with the network. The AV company installed it and it's all Araknis products that they sourced. The system failed again this week. I told them I want a written proposal outlining the solution to the problems and that the proposal should include replacing the Araknis stuff with name-brand networking gear.
How many network switches are in your install? Do you have issues with the internet as well (over Wi-Fi for example) when the C4 stops working?

What's your video matrix? Is it AV over IP like "just add power" or something else?

Arkanis is in the same boat as other AV networking equipment like Luxul and Pakedge. It has good margin for dealers, harder to price shop on Amazon and it's easy (or should be) for AV companies to setup. For what it costs though you are in Aruba, Ruckus, Cisco etc territory.

Since it sounds like the network slowly starts to **** the bed, this could be something as simple as some switches being looped. Or if the video matrix is Av over IP dumping a bunch of multicast video on your network.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
For a while Blackwire was selling preconfigured Cisco Switches for Just Add Power/C4 installs for Video Matrix. So if a dealer wasn't comfortable doing the proper settings (as @thebland) mentions you could buy it preconfigured "off the shelf" if you will.
No dealer should be selling or installing network video if they can't even set up a JAP system using the software, which holds your hand through the process. No wonder why there's so many ****ed installs out there

·
Registered
850 Posts
No dealer should be selling or installing network video if they can't even set up a JAP system using the software, which holds your hand through the process. No wonder why there's so many ****ed installs out there
from my understanding (not a dealer or a JAP user, I use Video Storm/Netplay) the Switch was more or less configured for you with multicasting and a few other features tuned on/off to make it quick plug and play. It seems smart as Blackwire sold JAP too so its a 1 stop shop to buy/install and makes it more plug and play. There was still set up on the C4 side the dealer had to do from my knowledge.

Its been about 4 years since C4 purchased Packedge. I wonder if the amount of poor installs has dropped or if there are any relevant statistics between problem systems and what network/what type of installer did the work. As much as I like the C4 system I do agree they should be stronger on vetting out dealers and from what I gather and read they have started to crack down more and more because they do not want to tarnish their reputation with poor installs.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
from my understanding (not a dealer or a JAP user, I use Video Storm/Netplay) the Switch was more or less configured for you with multicasting and a few other features tuned on/off to make it quick plug and play. It seems smart as Blackwire sold JAP too so its a 1 stop shop to buy/install and makes it more plug and play. There was still set up on the C4 side the dealer had to do from my knowledge.

Its been about 4 years since C4 purchased Packedge. I wonder if the amount of poor installs has dropped or if there are any relevant statistics between problem systems and what network/what type of installer did the work. As much as I like the C4 system I do agree they should be stronger on vetting out dealers and from what I gather and read they have started to crack down more and more because they do not want to tarnish their reputation with poor installs.
I mean hey, its great if they let the system burn in for a few days to keep an eye out for failed hardware. I run across lots of IT people who know very little about anything with a suffix of "cast", so what hope is there for the AV tech who's already smoked 3 joints by 2:30pm. Try explaining a vlan tag to one of these guys. Too bad the client is usually the one that gets screwed when something gets patched wrong and their entire network is flooded with 700mb of multicast video and these geniuses can't figure out why.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Dealer was a total rip off. Never even tegustrr Er Ed my System “Master’s Security System”. His tech told me Ma’am sorry but you got ripped off!

·
Registered
850 Posts
Dealer was a total rip off. Never even tegustrr Er Ed my System “Master’s Security System”. His tech told me Ma’am sorry but you got ripped off!
not really sure what all that means. Most people when brought in to look at another vendor/contractors work usually speak ill upon it and say "oh they did that, I do it this way, etc"

Again, there are bad control4 dealers. There are bad auto mechanics. There are bad accountants. That does not mean the accounting industry as a whole is bad nor does it mean Control4 is a bad product, it means you had a bad experience.

Everyone should get 2-3 quotes, everyone should ask for references. You do that when getting quotes on landscaping services, accounting services, mechanic, etc. Your home automation/home network is no different. And I saw your other post, you may have 2 remotes now instead of 1. If all you had C4 installed to do was controlling a single TV then yeah its likely overkill anyways. www.c4forums.com has an area where you can buy/sell C4 equipment so maybe offload your unused c4 gear to a happy home vs a landfill.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Let's see if we hit the I hate particular control system bingo

• Being held hostage
  • Was ripped off, because people who service luxury items should always work for free. Seen commonly in people who started life on third base and think they hit a home run
  • Didn't even mention what the problem was
  • Largely incomprehensible posting
  • Can seemingly find this forum after the 12 year old IT genius down the street fixed everything, but not before or during

·
Registered
850 Posts

• Being held hostage
  • Was ripped off, because people who service luxury items should always work for free. Seen commonly in people who started life on third base and think they hit a home run
  • Didn't even mention what the problem was
  • Largely incomprehensible posting
  • Can seemingly find this forum after the 12 year old IT genius down the street fixed everything, but not before or during
you missed 1 more
profile created within the last 24 hours and all posts on the forum only relate to this awful product

·
Registered
27,014 Posts
Hilarious!!! But true!!

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Let's see if we hit the particular control system defenders bingo

• Your dealer is crap
  • Find a better dealer
  • Control4 is awesome and perfect and nothing is ever wrong with it
  • Its your fault
  • Find a better dealer
  • You're an idiot for wanting it to just work
  • Find a better dealer
  • Find a better dealer
Did I miss any?

·
Registered
850 Posts

• Your dealer is crap
  • Find a better dealer
  • Its your fault
  • Find a better dealer
  • Find a better dealer
  • Find a better dealer
Did I miss any?
you dont find it odd that the OP and several others in this thread, including the latest, are brand new to the forum, create a profile, bash something, and never come back?

Control4's business model may not be for some, that is fine. Its expensive, it is semi closed, pricing is not always transparent, you need a dealer, etc. It is pretty much the anti-AVSForum solution - got it. That does not equate to trash/rip it out. There is a happy medium in there. I'd bet there are way more happy C4 customers than upset ones, otherwise they would not be in business.

I just wish some of these posters who trash it would come back and say what is wrong, what they tried to resolve it, etc. If my denon amp when it would be odd to create a profile, come to AVS, say my denon amp stinks and then run away and never come back to hear people's thoughts, helpful replies, etc

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
you dont find it odd that the OP and several others in this thread, including the latest, are brand new to the forum, create a profile, bash something, and never come back?
Are you implying something? What do they have to gain from bashing it. If they are like me they just came here to vent and they already washed their hands of the whole system. It makes sense that the kind of person who gets Control4 is not likely to be active on a DIY forum, or any forum for that matter.

There are plenty of long term members with complaints too.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Are you implying something? What do they have to gain from bashing it. If they are like me they just came here to vent and they already washed their hands of the whole system. It makes sense that the kind of person who gets Control4 is not likely to be active on a DIY forum, or any forum for that matter.
If that's all they want to do, they should stick to Yelp or Google. No one here is going to take a hit and run complainer seriously.

·
Registered
850 Posts

There are plenty of long term members with complaints too.
I do not believe there is some campaign to troll Control4 on the AVS Forum, if so its a really pointless campaign. That said I am just pointing out this fact that an overwhelming amount of people in the 1-2 main C4 bashing threads have created accounts here, posted to rant and never came back. To me, that is odd, and I am just calling that out in case someone is on the internet googling if they should invest in a C4 system (or Savant, or Crestron) and they are reading reviews and stumble on these threads, I'd want them to realize that those posting here just post and run. Conspiracy who knows, I doubt it and I have other things in my life that concern me more than internet trolls. I just call it as I see it. Most of them when pressed if they got 2-3 quotes, if they asked for references from other clients of the dealer go quiet. If you did not do your homework shame on you. I know a lot of people in the home construction trade (electricians, plumbers, carpenters, etc). In that trade, and in life, there are 3 sides to the story - your side, the other side and the truth which is usually somewhere in the middle.

If that's all they want to do, they should stick to Yelp or Google. No one here is going to take a hit and run complainer seriously.
Agreed - people hate the car analogy but for the most part, you are buying a car from a dealership, not the manufacture. The dealership is servicing it, not the manufacture. So I own a Hyundai, if I had problems I'd write a bad review of the dealership and how they handled my situation on Yelp, Google, some Facebook local forum or whatever (personally I never do this because I believe in karma but that's another story). Hyundai sells I dunno 100,000's of cars in the US a year. I am sure they are not worthless garbage. Can someone have bad service at a dealership either during the sale, or during a check up service appointment, they certainly can but why would I go to a general car forum and bash Hyundai if its the dealership lacking in service? I'd take my investment (the car) to another dealership or service provider. So your C4 install didnt work out - maybe your expectations were not in line, maybe your dealer was awful, but that doesn't mean C4 is crap, it means you had a bad experience.

If you want a fully open DIY system C4 should not be your system of choice, period. I agree there, its not a system for everyone. To say it is crap is erroneous - it is a computer system processing 0's and 1's. It works.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts

• Your dealer is crap
  • Find a better dealer
  • Its your fault
  • Find a better dealer
  • Find a better dealer
  • Find a better dealer
Did I miss any?
:cry: You need a hug bro? Check my post history if you think I'm going to defend dealers or the morons that work for them; or the manufacturers who dump broken garbage out there for the end user to deal with.

Most likely if you had a bad experience, yes your dealer is probably dogshit. I'd bet the majority of "AV techs" can't wire a relay or even know how one works. They can roll a spliff with one hand and their eyes closed though

You want to know the secret though? None of this is even difficult

I've never used Control 4, and I'm guessing like all other manufacturers they ship broken garbage that eventually ends up installed at your house. Would be cool if your dealer caught this stuff, but anyone with common sense probably long left this industry

I wonder how many times "held hostage" has been used in this thread. Always amazed someone can drop 75K on a luxury product like this without a modicum of research and then shocked pikachu face not understand why their precious nephew who's a computer whiz isn't allowed access to the software to try and fix it

Or - how often no value is attached to this kind of work. I see it here, when someone is shocked that one of those "ripoff" dealers expects to get paid to come in and try and fix some other dealer's ****-show of a system. Wanna know why that equipment that hardly works makes it past the dealer into your house? Because AV companies have done an excellent job of devaluing their work so who has time for that ****?

381 - 400 of 405 Posts