AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have Time Warner Cable in NYC hooked up to a stand-alone Tivo. I'm happy enough with it but I would like to record two things at once so I'm considering a DirecTivo. I've read a lot of posts here and only see bad things concerning picture quality. Anyone have any good news for me?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I had TWCNYC digital cable (Northern Manhattan Upper East Side) before I moved and switched to DirecTV and will offer these points I have noticed:

1. TWCNYC's picture quality on non premium digital channels was worse than DirecTV.

2. TWCNYC's picture quality on premium digital channels was the same as DirecTV.

3. TWCNYC's guide moves faster than DirecTV but DirecTV's guide has more features and looks better

4. TWCNYC's signal on local channels sucks, and is only in analog, meaning that I have to switch my AV receiver to analog input when I am watching local channels.

5. Osama Bin Laden and his idiots of course made things worse, and a few of the locals on TWCNYC like WPIX (11) and WNYW (5) are now unwatchable (although Brooklyn/Queens seems to be unaffected).

Also, if you are considering TiVo, you should get DirecTV with TiVo. The video is not decoded and re-encoded, meaning it's a picture perfect copy of the MPEG bitstream, with the dolby digital sound. You can't get that on digital cable (yet).

·
Registered
358 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by michaeldenio
I've read a lot of posts here and only see bad things concerning picture quality. Anyone have any good news for me?
Well.....I was an early DirecTV sub (Dec '94-Mar '98).....I remember being very impressed with the picture quality vs cable.

I too have read that the DirecTV & Dish picture quality has headed south since they added all the locals....

......Anyway, I can tell you that the picture quality with my current mini-dish system- StarChoice is excellent....jaw dropping quality on many channels!

From memory, are just a few of channels with excellent/reference quality PQ on StarChoice:

NBC, CBS, ABC, PBS & FOX Spokane

NBC, CBS & PBS Buffalo

MTV Canada

MTV2

MuchMusic

MuchMoreMusic

Newsworld

TSN-The Sports Network

4 Rogers Sportsnets (Pacific, West, Ontario, East)

ATV/CTV Halifax

CTVBC/ CTV Vancouver

BCTC/Global Vancouver

Global Saint John

CBC Halifax

CBC Vancouver

CITY TV Toronto

TMN(1-5) The Movie Network

BTW....These are just a few channels that we often both say....WOW! Look how clear that picture is :p

StarChoice has been tweaking the picture quality since they moved up to the big Anik F1 sat over a year ago :cool:

·
Registered
130 Posts
If you have and staying with a non-HD TV, Directv / DishNet isn't too bad......

but if you decide to go with a HD TV that has line doublers built-in, then the video compression becomes more obvious, picture looks "fuzzy" or out of focus....these tv's work best with a "clean source" such as DVD's, local analog OTA (if you have good reception)or even a strong cable tv signal.....

and C-Band satellite tv, those "black mesh" big dishes will give you the best picture "cable" programming, it's 1st generation clean analog/digital signals, verses Directv / DishNet's 2nd generation processing .....

·
Registered
815 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Quality Is Job One
Posting under different names?

What happened; did they kick you off the Canadian DBS forums?

·
Registered
856 Posts
It really depends on your cable company. ANY channel of AT&T Broadband cable here in MA, whether you get analog or digital, is much worse than than ANY channel on DirecTV. Before getting DirecTV, I had got used to the picture quality of cable even though it was nothing worth showing off, but now that I've seen DirecTV on my TV, I could never go back to cable.

People here on AVS Forum do complain about DBS providers quite a bit, but that is because we're a very critical bunch. You see less complaints about cable because very few people join a AV forum to discuss cable. There are a few locations where cable is real good (not that I've ever seen it myself) and those people are lucky to have a real choice between cable and satellite.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Yes, I would say so.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
A lot of people have described DBS PQ as soft, perhaps even lacking some contrast. Most believe that this is due to compression.

Of course this is opposed to many more Cable users who have problems like

- erratic sounds quality. On my Cable there is only one channel with a good stereo sound.

- every PQ distortion known to mankind, thoughtfully spread throughout all channels and moved around periodically so that eventually every channel has a chance to display these features at some point.

Of course I proudly say that my local ComCast leads the field in the variety and intensity of their efforts in this regard.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Cable / DBS picture comparisions depends greatly on your local cable bandits quality / channel selection. In some areas - cable is at least comparable, in others - DBS walks away. As pointed out - in DBS, ALL channels offered are digital (at least until they get to your satellite receiver), while in "Digital Cable", most channels are still analog. This doesn't mean that DBS is automatically better - DBS compresses all signals (except HDTV). A bigger screen on your TV will show up more flaws on both cable and DBS, and HDTV (with their line doublers) are even worse in that regard (for standard programming).

You would be better off to do a side-by-side comparison for yourself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to all who have replied -- it lifts the dark clouds a little the seemed to surround DBS picture quality. Now I just need the Series 2 DirecTivo to be released and I'll be all set.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
You've hit on a whole new subject.

DISH will have a multitude of new equipment offings coming out this Summer and through Fall. DirecTiVo II will be out by Thanksgiving, if we are lucky.

With 2 - tuner STBs both with PVR and without, including two seperate outputs to television, DISH will be hitting the DBS buyer with an easy sell.

Where is TiVo and D* is this regard. Have they all but lost the race for new, better featured equipment ?

Just look at the DirecTiVo Forum. It's starting to stagnate because it's been so very long since anything truely new has come out. I think it's been about two years since the basic DirecTiVo design was made - nothing has really changed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.