AVS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been doing some research for about a month now and after making a trip to a local A/V store yesterday I have narrowed my search down, but still need some help.

I am currently running Onkyo TX-575 with 61" Samsung DLP and have an HD DirectTV box and an Xbox 360. I am also running 5.1 surround with the Infinity Interlude series.

After my visit yesterday I have my search narrowed down to the following:

Quote 1: Integra 7.8 and Sony BDP S500 for 1,865

Quote 2: Denon 3808 and Sony BDP S500 for 2,154

They didn't have the Integra set up yet for me to see/hear the receiver, but I will be heading back over this week when they have the room set up.

I am also thinking at this price point, I am looking at potentially going to separates and picking up the Integra 9.8. If I make the change to separate pre process and amp, I am not sure what would be a good amp to go with.

I was given Anthem and Rotel literature and I am still reading, but wanted to get some thoughts on making the move to separates or go with one of the quotes above.

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no one has any input on 1) stay with the av receiver or move to the separates. 2) if I go with the 9.8 what suggestions does anyone have with for an amp to go with the 9.8.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Hey its superbowl...give people a break, give it a day.

·
Registered
288 Posts
What size is your room, percentage split between HT/Music and what is your actual budget? The price difference between all 3 choices is quite substantial, especially if we're talking about new separates (as opposed to gently used).

·
Registered
807 Posts
I would recommend that unless you have hard to drive speakers and a rather large room it makes more sense to get a receiver than separates. If you're looking for a unit that can handle the new hi-def audio formats there are very few pre/pros available, and none under ~$1200.

This is especially true if you've never gone the route of separates as you may find the cost doesn't gain you much over a quality receiver.

I would also say that you shouldn't spend more on an amp/pre combo than you spend on speakers/sub. The speakers will yield a more noticeable improvement.

You can get a 3808 and if you then feel you need more power add an amp, maybe even a 2 channel just for the fronts.

Personally I love having separates but I can't say I would tell many people they NEED to have separates.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My room is 30 x 15 and most of my needs are for video not just listening to music. As for the separates vs. the receiver. The reason that I am thinking of moving to separates is the ability to leverage the flexibility of adding and changing pieces without affecting the rest of the system.

Also, the fact that 2k isn't breaking my bank at this time, my thoughts are if I can go to separates for 3k or less I am thinking it is worth the move for the flexibility it will give me in the long run.

I am most definitely going to be heading back to the store once they get the Integra setup and if I don't really see a difference in sound/video I will probably stay with the receiver, but the options the 9.8 has vs the receivers, I will be surprised if I don't see/hear a difference.

·
Registered
480 Posts
If it were my money I'd go with the Integra 9.8 and either a Rotel RMB-1095 or Anthem Statement A5. Both of those amps should sound great with the Integra.

I personally run an Anthem AVM 30 with a Statement A5 and love it.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken_sai69 /forum/post/13029973

http://www.emotiva.com/lpa1.html

Emotiva looks to be going out of business. I have been sending tech. questions to them last month about upcoming products, specifically HDMI 1.3a compatible pre/pro's with TrueHD and DTS Master Audio decoding. I am also interested in a 8 channel (7.1) 200W per amplifier. I was told to wait until April/May ... They look to be dumping stock now with most stuff "out of stock" what's going on?

·
Registered
4,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevivoe /forum/post/13030733

Emotiva looks to be going out of business. I have been sending tech. questions to them last month about upcoming products, specifically HDMI 1.3a compatible pre/pro's with TrueHD and DTS Master Audio decoding. I am also interested in a 8 channel (7.1) 200W per amplifier. I was told to wait until April/May ... They look to be dumping stock now with most stuff "out of stock" what's going on?

I have always been concerned about that company. It does look like they are dumping the product. If that’s the case, allot of people are going to get ripped off.

If you buy use an AMEX card, easy to get your money back.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevivoe /forum/post/13030733

They're just getting rid of their non-HDMI stuff before the new stuff comes out.

They're also easier to get a hold of by phone or their forum.

I'd wait a few more months till there is real competition out there for HDMI audio.

·
Registered
288 Posts
That's certainly a healthy sized room. If flexibility is your main goal, then yes, certainly making a move to separates will greatly improve your options. However, I am personally of the opinion that today's high end AV receivers compare very well with entry level separates for both sound quality and feature content. Without having heard the Infinities, I can't really say, but I have a hunch that they will not sound radically different with any of the setups you mentioned as compared to what you already have. After all, Integra is just a fancy Onkyo in the same way that a Lexus is a fancy Toyota.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I appreciate all of the feedback so far. One of the biggest reasons for looking at the 9.8 over the av receivers is the higher end video processing. To gain the same type of video processing in a receiver, I am looking at a minimum of 2400 and upwards or 5500. At that point if I am spending that type of money I think it is better spent on separating the components.

My biggest problem is if I go with the separates is what type of amp to go with.....Only need a 5 channel which saves me money. I have been looking Anthem and Rotel, but not sure if anyone else has a similar setup or suggestions on amps if I do go with the 9.8

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
javman, i'm in a similar situation.

my integra 5.3 doesn't have hdmi ins nor new audio codecs.

I really like the sound of my 5.3, and want to stay integra.

my room is 19x13, and my L/C/R all have powered subs built in.

I'm considering the 8.8 to the 9.8.

8.8 @ $2200, 9.8 @ $1300+amp (outlaw for $2000)=3300.

And then i'd need another 2 channel amp for running the rest of my house.

Right now im just a 5.1 system, but may add to 7.1.

The 8.8 can run a 7.1 + the rest of the house.

Also space is double if you go separates.

Then you have to think of the power needed to run a separate amp.

Many will tell you to have a dedicated 20amp line run for it.

I may just do that anyway....

I just dont my 2(or4) surround channels will really need to be on separates.

I could always just run my fronts on separates if i find i need more power.

Can anyone advise me???

1 - 18 of 18 Posts