AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was very interested in the Princeton HDT-2000 STB when I found out it could accept signals from cable TV, OTA antennas, composite, and s-video and could up-convert them to 1080i. I then became disappointed when I found out it does not have an Optical Digital Output on it. Does anyone know of an STB that can accept signals from what was mentioned above and up-convert the signals to 1080i AND has an Optical Digital Output?

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I believe the Panasonics will change any format to any format based on a switch on the back of the unit.

------------------

Peter L.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I have an RCA DTC-100

I have the following hooked up to it:

-OTA antenna (ant a)

-cable (ant b)

-DirecTV (sat in)

It has composite and S-video outputs, but no inputs for those types (not sure why you would really need them in a STB, since it's not a recording or display device).

It does have an Optical digital output and RGB/VGA output for hooking up to your HDTV ready set.

I run all of my video sources (cable, OTA HDTV, DirecTV SD and HD) through the DTC-100 and then to the 1080i input on my set. I also have it connected to my receiver with the optical digital connection.

For VHS viewing and connecting my digital video camera with an S-video cable, I have to go straight to the TV though.

------------------

Jon
Home_Theater_Pics
My_DVD_Profiler

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jdiehl,

Does the STB actually up-convert the picture to 1080i? The reason I liked that other STB is because it could up-convert any analog input into 1080i.

·
Registered
217 Posts
As jdiehl mentioned, the DTC-100 does NOT have S-video or composite inputs like the Princeton STB, nor does it scale up video sources to HD resolution. I'm also interested in the HDT-2000, but I can't believe it doesn't have any digital audio outputs! Maybe that's why there's been absolutely no publicity about the darned thing. Perhaps they're going to add some to an updated version of the unit before they start hyping it? One can only hope...

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Man, that's a pity. I just read the specs, and it really seems like it's not missing anything except digital audio output...

------------------

Mike Kobb

(Formerly "ReplayMike", but no longer affiliated with the company; these opinions are mine alone.)

·
Registered
Epson 5040UB projector, Denon 6300, 7.1.4 setup, M&K THX speakers and SVS subwoofer
3,209 Posts
The DTC-100 has built-in DirecTV decoding, the PG HDT-2000 appears to not have this.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Digital out and component inputs!

I'm still going to get one though. Based on the reports of its excellent HD reception, excellent NTSC upconversion, and ability to scale other external sources it sounds like a winner.

I just returned my DTC-100 to RS. This PG box will suit me much better as I don't like switching inputs and I was not happy with the RCA's upconversion of standard cable. Also I was only using the analog stereo outs anyway. And if I'm happy with the external S-video scaling it will save me having to buy an Iscan Pro. All of this for $100 more than the DTC-100!

(The ideal would be digital out + component inputs however)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.