AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My question relates to how STB aspect ratio control integrates with the RPTV aspect ratio control options.

Most STB today offer numerous aspect ratio control options - normal, full, zoom, panorama, etc. Most RPTV also offer similar options. Which unit, if any, overrides the other? If you want to control the aspect ratio via the STB, what aspect ratio should the RPTV be set to? If you want to use the aspect ratio control options via the RPTV, what aspect ratio should the STB be set to?

Also, if you use the STB to control the displayed aspect ratio, what screens are used in the RPTV? The reason I ask is that if you were to get your RPTV calibrated by an ISF professional, would you only have to converge one screen (e.g. full) as opposed to converging each screen you would use had the RPTV been used to control aspect ratio?

Thanks,

Anthony

·
Registered
506 Posts
Aspect ratio control varies among RPTV's (720p or 1080i native) and HD STB's (option vary by model). It would be helpful to know which RPTV and STB you are contemplating.

In general, the STB can vary the aspect ratio thus using its scaling. The other alternative is for the STB to output the native signal and let the RPTV perform scaling functions. Which looks better is going to depend on the hardware implementation in the TV and STB (which scalar is higher quality, etc.).

Not much detail but hope this explanation helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.