AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is correct topic area for this question. In the future many people may just get a stb to go with their present tv. What kind of picture quality can they expect with a analog tv? Will there be any other transmission problems? Will they turn on the digital channels on the stb then channel 3 on analog set? Has anyone seen this setup? thanks for input.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I have 2 RCA DTC 100 STBs both are hooked to a 20 " Panasonic through the S video and the other is connected to a Sony Trinitron through a basic RCA video cable input. Both look great and much better than any Analog or SD digital channel from Directv through the same inputs. You can of course output a 4:3 signal through the ch 3/4 rf mod but you will loose stereo sound and picture quality by remodulating the signal. The result at best will look like a high quality broadcast channel. Not bad but if your tv has Svideo or video inputs they look the best.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Quinton:

I have the DTC-100 hooked up to my Mitsubishi 46805. There are times, though, that I want to watch some DirecTV via S-video. (There are some artifacts watching FOX Sports hockey games on NHL Center Ice on DirecTV via the 1080i output -- but that's another story.) I think the picture with the DTC via s-video is better than SD satellite receivers (I have two other RCAs and one Hughes) via s-video, but for the life of me I can't tell you why it should be. It seems to have less compression artifact, and overall the picture is crisper with more detail. So, an HD STB will work perfectly via s-video to an SD TV. I don't use the DTC to watch digital OTA channels via s-video, but the few times that I've done so in passing, the picture also is perfect.

SMK

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.