AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My NEC MT1030 XGA projector is not compatible with HDTV according to projectorcentral.com. It does work with Hipix because with the Hipix you can set the display type to 1024 by 768. Are there any STBs that you can set the output to a computer type display? If not now will there be one in the future? I would like to see Dish HD offerings.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I'm also interested in this question. Does the lack of responses mean there isn't anything? (I couldn't find anything myself.)

Mike

------------------

Join the NYC-area HT club! Send me e-mail!

·
Registered
526 Posts
With the Dish 6000 you can choose betwen component and RGB outputs. You can certainly plug a computer monitor into a Dish 6000's VGA connector (when using the RGB option), if that's what you're asking.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
The Dish 6000 does not have VGA output, it does use a VGA DB-15 pin connector, but it's not VGA graphics. It has selectable 1080i or 720p output. To be compatible, a display must either be designed for one of those specific outputs, or must be multiscan compatible. Multiscan displays have the ability to accept a range of inputs that usually encompass HDTV formats.

Is your NEC CRT or solid state? Most XGA projectors are compatible with HDTV. Since I'm not familiar with the NEC you have, if I were you, I'd ask the question in one of the AVS projector forums.

------------------

"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"

tm

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Well, I don't know about the original poster, but I have a Davis DLX650. It's not HDTV compatible. It only accepts XGA signals. The Hipix calls this "768p" - I don't know if anyone else does this. As far as I can tell, the answer is no...

Mike

------------------

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
fyi regarding computer monitors, multisnyc, working with STB's to view HDTV. In case this is what you are thinking of doing.

It seems that most seem to work with 1080i format but some, for some unknown reason don't, and instead display a vertical resolution of 540p while displaying a HDTV signal, instead of the 1080i vertical resolution..

And despite many people believing these provide the same PQ there is a slight different in the two, do to, how they present the image and an optical illusion.

So while at any give time there are only 540 lines of vertical resolution being painted, the 1080i VR looks better to some then 540p VR. Because the 1080i interlaces two 540 fields, fast enough; instead of painting them over each other, that we see finer scan lines when the HDTV signal is being shown with 1080i VR. which to me looks better.

I have one cheap monitor that displays HDTV correctly, 1080i VR, and a expensive one that shows the vertical resolution of a HDTV broadcast as 540p and another expensive one that works correctly too.

There does not seem to be anyway of knowing before hand if a computer monitor will display 1080i or 540p vertical resolution when displaying an HDTV signal.

-tony

[This message has been edited by tonyb100 (edited 09-24-2001).]

[This message has been edited by tonyb100 (edited 09-24-2001).]

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I have a RCA DTC100 and it displays perfectly on a standard (cheap) 17" PC monitor with both 540p (upconverted) and 1080i (HD).

Jay

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

So you're saying that 1080i displays correctly? It puts black bars on the top and bottom? I wasn't exactly sure how the aspect ratio would be displayed. Is it tall and skinny, or are there black bars above and below?

My projector is a DLP, similar to an LCD, meaning that it has to convert the analog signal into a grid of 1024x768 pixels.

I was told that feeding it a 720p signal will make it put out a 1024x720 picture, which is pretty nice (lots of pixels used), but then you need an anamorphic lens to "fix" the aspect ratio (or else it's tall and skinny). I think I either need 768p, or an anamorphic lens...

Mike

------------------

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.