AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the HDTV scene and have a few questions as I am clueless. My TV is on order and was wondering what the Pros/Cons are between using a STB vs. Cablecard. I am aware that using the cablecard, I can't use the VOD, PPV, etc. - which I don't care about. I will be using the TV mainly for sports and movies, some xbox. Questions: Can I use a DVR with the Cablecard? - obviously the connection goes straight to the TV (Splitter maybe?). Can I view PIP with a CableCard? Thank you for any replies. Many more to follow.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
A DVR is an external cable box, so that is used instead of the cablecard. Recording HD is great, so I'd recommend the HD-DVR instead of the tuner-only cablecard. The external box/DVR gives you a guide to search programs too. Some folks have had problems getting cablecard to work with their cable systems, its still very new and compatability issues are rampant and many cable techs don't have experience with them.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I heard cable companies are dragging there heels releasing cablecards. Cablecards would make life easier.

Just stick the card in a Tivo or PC.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by web1b
I heard cable companies are dragging there heels releasing cablecards. Cablecards would make life easier.

Just stick the card in a Tivo or PC.
Its nowhere near that convenient yet, in fact, cable cards are just bragging rights for most, as they are less functional than either a box or their DVR's. Just because someone bought a new expensive tv that has a cablecard slot, doesnt mean they HAVE to use it...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Cable cards have some benefits, just not many. For example, you don't have an extra piece of equipment or a different remote. Additionally, cost is another factor - it would cost at least another $5 per month to get HDTV through a box, versus the cable card gives me all my channels (and I already have another DVR). Unfortunately, a recent problem I've discovered is that my Comcast does not pass the channel rating through on the digital channels for the Cablecard... my kids are soon getting old enough that I'd like to have more control on that and so may have to move to a box anyway.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
that's what ours does - 12.95/month for box, 5.95/month for cable card. so you save a little - since I don't use ppv or dvr, it works for me.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gccjr
Unfortunately, a recent problem I've discovered is that my Comcast does not pass the channel rating through on the digital channels for the Cablecard...

Something doesn't quite sound right here. It's the same digital stream whether through a set-top or cable card. The box certainly doesn't generate the ratings.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfoster
Something doesn't quite sound right here. It's the same digital stream whether through a set-top or cable card. The box certainly doesn't generate the ratings.
The STB clearly decodes the digital stream and passes the ratings through. All I can presume is that the cablecard doesn't pass the ratings data through to the tv or the tv won't accept them (remember these cards are pretty new overall, so there may be some technical incompatibilities between cards and sets still). I get the channel ratings for the analog stations (below 100), but get a "no rating" signal for everything above it. I guess it probably warrants contacting Comcast.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.