AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a Hitachi 1080i RP-CRT that supports 720p. I have noticed for ESPN, a 720p broadcast, that it is better to have the cable STB set to 720p and let the TV do the upconversion. However, I'm wondering for the 1080i channels, is there any compromise in the scaling to 720p on the STB and re-upconverting back to 1080i on the TV?

·
Registered
1,101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolclutch /forum/post/14173711

Hi, I have a Hitachi 1080i RP-CRT that supports 720p. I have noticed for ESPN, a 720p broadcast, that it is better to have the cable STB set to 720p and let the TV do the upconversion. However, I'm wondering for the 1080i channels, is there any compromise in the scaling to 720p on the STB and re-upconverting back to 1080i on the TV?

if your cable box(what model# & cable provider BTW?) has a NATIVE setting that will bypass the STB's scaler & let your Hitachi do the scaling(i.e. SD chs passed thru @480i, HD @ 1080i or 720p depending on the ch).

tradeoff: lag in switching chs. going from SD to HD will have significant lag & a dark screen for a few secs, as will switching from 720p to 1080i & vice versa.

it already sounds like your TV has a better scaler than the cable box so try it & see if you like it.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Eliminating half of the detail in a 1080i broadcast and sending it to your TV in 720p and then having your TV invent the content requred to double the resolution bacl to 1080i makes not sense in theory however it depends on your viewing habits If you watch mostly ABC, ESPN, and FOX which broadcast in 720p you may want to stay at 720p except for a major sporting event or quality documentary from the 1080i channels.

Apparently you have a Motorola STB since AFAIK all the SA STBs have a passthrough option which is preferrrable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts