AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for an HDTV set top converter box that handles over the air stations only (no DSS, etc.). Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Can any of you point me in the right direction please? Many thanks.

·
Registered
856 Posts
In case you didnt know this, you dont have to subscribe to a DSS provider to use a DSS set-top box for OTA HDTV programming (unless the company selling it to you requires it as part of their promotional price). From what I read, the Samsung SIR-T150 (and the old SIR-T100) are high high quality units, as well as the being only non-DSS set-top boxes. However, if you want to increase your selection, you can choose from other DirecTV HDTV set-top boxes and just not subscribe to DirecTV. If price is key, than the DTC-100 (or ProScan PSHD-105) are often less than $500.00 (without a RGB-to-component converter which might be required depending on what inputs your TV has) and they would allow you to later add DirecTV without needing a new box for that if you change your mind.

------------------

Rick W. Scogland

My Email Address:
[email protected]

My Home Theater:
The Scogland Home Theater

·
Registered
196 Posts
The Samsung SIR-T150 is indeed an OTA-only box. It's also the fastest DTV tuner out there, unemcumbered by the DirecTV Guide and the time it takes to load.

The SIR-T150 is also quite sensitive. The Sony SAT-HD100 is a little more sensitive, but has a lot of bugs nd takes longer to lock up on OTA signals than the Samsung.

You can find a review of the Samsung at www.projectorexpert.com.

Princeton Graphic Systems also makes an OTA-only set-top box, the HDT2000. This unit outputs either 1080i or 480i. It has dual antenna inputs (helpful for cable) and an on-board Dolby 5.1 decoder - the 6 channels connect directly through RCA jacks on the rear. It supports both YPbPr and RGBHV output.

The Samsung list is $599 - I think the Princeton unit is about $699 or so. Check their web site.

KC

·
Registered
823 Posts
If only the Samsung also tuned NTSC for those of us with plasmas and no built-in NTSC tuners...I'd buy one in a second.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by eelton:
If only the Samsung also tuned NTSC for those of us with plasmas and no built-in NTSC tuners...I'd buy one in a second.
The Princeton does, and it will upconvert external sources via s-vhs or RCA connecters too. It looks like a good solution for plasma users.

Tigerdirect.com(according to their website) has them in stock now for $600.

[This message has been edited by Dan Bither (edited 07-19-2001).]

·
Registered
823 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions, but there's just no perfect answer here, except maybe the Zenith if it ever arrives...

Dan--The Princeton doesn't output 720p, which I need for a Panasonic 50" plasma.

Sujeet--If I'm not mistaken, the Panasonic has only one RF input (other than the satellite input, which I wouldn't use). However, I need two: one for OTA digital, and one cable (I would bypass my cable box, which is connected to my Tivo. Even if I used the cable box, it lacks direct video outputs). I was intrigued by the Sensory Science HDT100, but it also has only one RF input.

I'd love to get DSS, but my view of the southern sky is blocked by a building.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.