AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who haven't seen Steamboy but enjoy quality animated films, I highly recommend this film. From the creators of Akira, this film features some of the best Japanese Anime has to offer. For those who have seen Akira, you will remember the meticulous "hand drawn" animation that had to have taken years to create. Steamboy has the hand drawn look but also the computer generated 3D effects that audiences have come to expect. The script is well written and the story easy to understand. Akira and Anime in general are notorious for being rather esoteric in their scripts and plots. Steamboy is not and has enjoyed fairly wide appeal from what I understand. Whoever the writer(s) are / were, they sure knew their stuff when it came to the physical sciences and mechanical engineering. The film is very authentic and packed with realistic mechanical lingo and drawings. The film is set in "Turn of the Century" England when Steam Power was king. Its about a gifted young inventor and the creation of his power mad father and grandfather, the futuristic "Steam Castle". Patrick Stewart, Anna Paquin (Steamboy), and Alfred Molina recreate the voices for english speaking audiences. The sound is phenomenal and like the animation, very meticulously created. Its some of the best surround sound I've heard on my system. The studio should have released this film to more theatres. Dallas Texas only saw a short engagement at an Art House. My only gripe about this DVD is that other than the opening title, the credits (ending) are in Japanese. The funny thing is, that the titles of the various sections of the credits are titled in English. For example: It will say "Cast" or "Sound" followed by lots of Japanese script. The gift set includes a 22 page magna comic book and a 166 page booklet of the art of Steamboy and collectible cards...all writen in Japanese. Again, I recommend this film. For those of you who don't enjoy animated films, I recommended this as a reference DVD for surround sound.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Toasted, what version are you referring to that comes with the 166 page booklet? I know there is the Limited "Memorial" Box release that is out of Japan, but that release only has 1 24 page booklet.

-JR

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuiceRocket
Toasted, what version are you referring to that comes with the 166 page booklet? I know there is the Limited "Memorial" Box release that is out of Japan, but that release only has 1 24 page booklet.

-JR
Again, Its the Steamboy Collecter's Gift Set. I picked it up at my local WalMart. Click the link below for Amazon.com's page for this release:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...s=dvd&n=507846

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Ah, sorry, an R1 release. I was thinking it was a Japanese release since the book/cards are in Japanese. :) Thanks, I'll have to go pick this up!

-JR

·
Registered
423 Posts
How’s the Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children trailer on this set? Is it anamorphic WS?

I liked Steamboy, I saw it in the original Japanese language with subs in the theater. But after hearing the mixed reviews on the video transfer, I hesitated on buying either set. I may have to do with this until they release a Blu Ray version (which will be like in 5 to 10 years...).

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by megaman_y
How’s the Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children trailer on this set? Is it anamorphic WS?

I liked Steamboy, I saw it in the original Japanese language with subs in the theater. But after hearing the mixed reviews on the video transfer, I hesitated on buying either set. I may have to do with this until they release a Blu Ray version (which will be like in 5 to 10 years...).
I saw the trailer for Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children and it is in WS but I couldn't tell you about whether or not it is anamorphic WS. Just what is Final Fantasy anyway? I always had the idea it was a video game, but is it a movie? Or both? Either way, the trailer looks cool with killer graphics. I liked the video quality of Steamboy but I didn't see the original Japanese version so I couldn't compare them.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Final Fantasy is a video game series that is on the Nintendo, Super Nintendo, Playstation 1 and 2 consoles. It's only "final" by name as there are many sequels; though each sequel is a different story with different characters. They are up to 11 with number 12 coming out next year.

Advent Children is a spin off of the FF 7 game. I think only fans of the series can really appreciate it, but anime fans might find it of interest. It looks way better than the The Spirits Within movie that came out a couple of years ago. Should be out by the end of the year.

If anyone is intrested you can check out the trailer here

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.