AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
I used both. I would think wood is denser and would have less sound transfer. I used steel studs for my screen wall because there is no warping or twisting. A perfect strait wall. The rest is wood.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Bwolff,

I think you've got the perfect mix. You're quite smart to have done the screen wall in steel studs. Nice and straight.

Ted

·
Registered
469 Posts
I prefer to use wood studs, because metal studs are non-weight bearing. I f you ever wish to mount something on the wall, metal studs will not do.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Scott, just an FYI - I'm not sure if your doing the work yourself or getting any permits -- but I'm almost 100% that Ontario Hydro makes you use armoured electrical "BX" cable through steel studs, where wood studs you can use the regular "Romex".

Just a heads up if you decide to use steel studs and are doing the electrical work yourself.

Regards,

Drew

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, and Drew...yes I am doing the work myself.

I expect I will go the wood rout for all the above reasons.

I have been lucky enough to find very straight lumber at the local Home Depot, and now that the softwood lumber industry is facing huge tariffs to get their product to the USA...maybe I will be able to reap the benefits re: price reductions. Wishful thinking eh?

:)

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Consider the steel for the screen wall only. Studs won't stay straight for long. That wall will look awful with a bow in it.

I'm presuming that the screen wall is covered with acoustic fabric. If it'd drywalled, then go wood.

Ted

·
Registered
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Hookup
I prefer to use wood studs, because metal studs are non-weight bearing. I f you ever wish to mount something on the wall, metal studs will not do.

Why not?

Just screw some wood blocks into the stud before rocking the wall.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Rocking...oh that must be trade-speak for sheetrocking. Gotcha. I really like the idea of using steel for my screen wall and putting wood blocks in it. Best of both worlds as it work. Good tips guys!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.