AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm using steel studs for my interior walls. My question is: If I install IB1 clips with Hat Channels and double drywall, is there anything special I need to consider?

Should I use 20ga? Do I need to put 2 screws in the IB1's? Can I still do 24OC?

Any other thoughts about Steel Studs? or steel studs with clips?

·
Premium Member
3,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ted White at soundproofing company is the man to answer your questions on the use of a clip he sells on steel studs.

The IB1 only has one attachment hole.

Why steel studs?
easier and quieter to work with. The lumber in my area is not great. I'm also a rookie so I'm anticipating some retry's.

I'll take a look at those clips.

·
Registered
111 Posts
If you can get your hands on it, TimberStrand engineered lumber from Weyerhauser is good stuff. I used it for the studs for my theater walls and I got a very accurate framing job. It cost just under 3x the price of regular lumber, so it's not cheap. You use it like regular lumber though, no special accommodations.

http://www.woodbywy.com/trus-joist/timberstrand-lsl/

·
Premium Member
3,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Premium Member
3,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used the PAC clip with 20ga steel studs. I used Tek screws to fasten the clip to the studs.

Tim
did you double drywall? The weight is my concern.

·
Premium Member
3,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, I did 1/2+5/8.

To be clear I am not recommending PAC over Ted's whisper/ib1/ib2 clips. I have no idea which performs better. Those other clips didn't exist when I did my theater.

Tim
why 1/2+5/8 and not 5/8+5/8

Also, did you install them 1 right over the top over each other or flip 1 portrait and the other landscape.?

·
Premium Member
3,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ted White at soundproofing company is the man to answer your questions on the use of a clip he sells on steel studs.

The IB1 only has one attachment hole.

Why steel studs?
per Ted:

Hi Joe-
For 25 gauge studs, the clips need two screws. You can toenail an IB-1 or else go with a 2-screw Clip like the WhisperClip.

You can also use 22 or 20 gauge, and go with a single screw.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
why 1/2+5/8 and not 5/8+5/8

Also, did you install them 1 right over the top over each other or flip 1 portrait and the other landscape.?
1/2+5/8 was the status quo when I did my theater. I was just following the crowd.

Don't really recall how I did the drywall. As long as the seams don't line up I would just put it up however it's easiest.

Tim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts