AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fortunately or unfortunately found this forum after my basement finishing project was well on its way.
Please see my attached diagram for general room dimensions. This is in a walk out basement with three wall underground. The left wall separates this from the downstairs family room. The door on bottom right leads to my office.

Broad plan is 120” screen, a riser with two rows of seating and built out wall to contain speakers and screen without using AT screen. I still have time to alter this.

I've got some questions and concerns if anyone has advice.

1) My plan is to orient my seats facing down in the diagram. It will make getting back to the other rooms behind the screen easier as there will be no riser. The issue I have is the width narrows and the ceiling drops as indicated in the diagram. I don’t know if I’m better off doing this or go the other direction to give myself the wider screen area and go from narrow to wider width and shorter to taller ceiling height. Opinions?​

2) I can only do so much sound proofing as I have lots of ductwork, piping and wiring in the trusses. I plan on stuffing what I can into the ceiling. I see lots of posts on doing crazy amounts of sound proofing that I’m just not going to have the room or budget to do.​
a. What is the consensus on the minimum amount of sound proofing I should do? Channel, special drywall, etc.
b. Will my door into the office be an issue with sound? Vibrate or have a major negative impact on sound?
c. The odd space in the upper right corner. This could be framed straight with the wall and eliminated if it will cause adverse sound issues.
d. I've seen some nice plans where the make bump out’s for the positive affect on sound and as a nice place to mount lights. Thoughts on this? This will obviously add drywall costs and painting hassle.
e. If I do the above, do I need to add wall treatments in addition or just go without the bump outs and do wall treatments?

Hopefully this isn’t too many questions for one thread.

Thanks for reading.

FCC

Attachments

·
RETIRED theater builder
34,669 Posts
can you take down the walls for the equipment room and start over? Use the bump out area for equipment, I'd also move the door to the office up the wall toward the bump out.

Then you have a beautiful space to work with. The higher ceiling will correlate with the riser seating. put the screen wall at the bottom.

What is the red line? I'm assuming the ceiling line? if so I would match it up on the other side of the room with a soffit to match.

·
RETIRED theater builder
34,669 Posts
I can only do so much sound proofing as I have lots of ductwork, piping and wiring in the trusses. I plan on stuffing what I can into the ceiling. I see lots of posts on doing crazy amounts of sound proofing thatHopefully this isn’t too many questions for one thread.
You may want to read up on soundproofing as very little of it actually happens up in the trusses. It is the extra layers of drywall (Mass), dampening (Green Glue) and Isolation (Clips and channel) that do the heavy lifting.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
re:Jeff

Thanks for responding Jeff, twice even !

The red line is my soffits to hide the duct-work. You think I should complete the other side for symmetry ?
What my drawing doesn't do a good job of showing what is an outside wall. I'm going upload the whole basement floor plan so you can see what I mean. I can't move the office door by much as you will see.

I have cat5 and coax pulled to that location, which is under the stairs and empty space right now. I could certainly turn the bump out into equipment room, and use the other area for networking de-mark. My issue there would be getting coax from there to the bump out spot without lot's of unions. I'd be somewhat concerned about signal loss. Perhaps there are work arounds.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts