AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a table or tray or something to attach my steering wheel to (Driving force pro). Needs to be fairly sturdy, as i like to turn the force feedback to full.

I want something i can pull up to my couch, and can buy, preferably online (i dont have the time to build something from scratch these days).

Anyone have any suggestions and/or pictures of what youre using?

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Mine was cheap & easy,

Find an old chair like this,

Take off the cushions & cut the back off & clamp your wheel to it.

A lot cheaper than $230!!

It'll work till I find something I like better.

·
Registered
LG CX77 OLED, Denon AVR-X6300H, Aperion Intimus 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos setup + Flat ribbon Super Tweeters
368 Posts
The best thing for a driving wheel, why its an old school desk!

I just stick a carpet underneath so the pedal unit doens't slip. That chair idea is pretty awesome though.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I bought a Playseat from the Discovery Store for $250. Best money I've spent in a long time. Works with both the DFP and the Wireless 360 wheel. Too cool. Feel like I have a full-size sitdown arcade machine in my basement. Folds up nice to hide in the closet too.

For that Trinity wheel, what do you do if you don't like to left foot brake? It doesn't look like you have a choice?

·
Registered
227 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillY2KFRC /forum/post/0

I bought a Playseat from the Discovery Store for $250

I was drooling over one of those. Thought it would go well with a Logitech G25 and F1CE until I heard that F'ing Sony refused to bow to Immersion and dropped FF from all of its racing titles
A wheel without force feedback just won't do it for me any more...

·
Registered
LG CX77 OLED, Denon AVR-X6300H, Aperion Intimus 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos setup + Flat ribbon Super Tweeters
368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooknn /forum/post/0

I was drooling over one of those. Thought it would go well with a Logitech G25 and F1CE until I heard that F'ing Sony refused to bow to Immersion and dropped FF from all of its racing titles
A wheel without force feedback just won't do it for me any more...

If you are a racing fan then I would get the G25 for PC racing games. GTR2 is awesome, Live for Speed takes full advantage of it as well. Get a descent rig though but it still a great experience.

Trust me GT : HD is terrible without any feedback at all. Its lifeless, the game is awesome still but I hope to god that they won't do the unthinkable and won't release without any feedback. It is still a good investment though if your a racing fan.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by acegamer /forum/post/0

I bought a TableMate II from Walmart. It works really well.

I saw those, and thought it would be perfect, but i thought it might be kind of flimsy. No problems, even with force feedback on high setting and some spirited/aggressive driving??

Im just looking for a somewhat temporary solution until i move again in a year or so, and something that can be used as a table/tray for other things as well would be great.

As far as FF on the PS3 goes, doesnt the ******** with immersion only cover rumble, not true force feedback??

And from what ive heard, the JPN version of GTHD played on a JPN region PS3 DOES have force feedback...

I'm still guardedly optimistic that we will get real force feedback for wheels, just no rumble (which i dont give 2 ****s about anyways).

Thanks guys, keep em coming!

·
Registered
166 Posts
I purchased a TableMate II for my Grandmother this past Christmas. During assembly Christmas morning, I was impressed that it didn't feel particularly flimsy. Personally, I bet it would work just fine. However, that said, I like the recommendation offered earlier regarding a wooden TV tray. Especially the comment regarding the cross-bar at the base that would assist in keeping the pedals from skidding away from your feet

·
Registered
193 Posts
I used to use a wooden tv tray from walmart... if you have high force feedback or are aggressive it won't work out too well, they're not study enough and will fall over sideways if you oversteer.

Thats been my experience with them at least.

·
Registered
Sony XBR-85X950H, Denon AVR-X6700H, Oppo UDP-203
205 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillY2KFRC /forum/post/0

For that Trinity wheel, what do you do if you don't like to left foot brake? It doesn't look like you have a choice?

Good point. I didn't think about that. That could be a problem for me, as I don't like to left-foot brake either. I may email the manufacturer to see if there's a way to accommodate that.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by darusgrey /forum/post/0

I used to use a wooden tv tray from walmart... if you have high force feedback or are aggressive it won't work out too well, they're not study enough and will fall over sideways if you oversteer.

Thats been my experience with them at least.

You need to get the HIGH QUALITY ones from Target...

I've never tipped mine over (all the way) personally, but I guess if you're really into it, that could definitely happen.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have a G25 and attached it to a wooden TV tray table and it works ok. I attached two 2.5 lb hand weights with velcro straps on the horizontal leg support for balance. Otherwise the center of gravity is so far forward that it will tip over with the slightest bump.

I have not seen the Wal-mart table in person, but the lap top table at Frys is way too unstable for a wheel. I am looking for an adjustable table that I can move around that is structurally sound and doesn't interfere with the pedals.

I got the G25 wheel for Christmas and it is awesome for GTR2 on my PC. Does the G25 at least provide turning resistance in PS3 games if there is no force feedback?

Jeff

·
Registered
389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dankir /forum/post/0

If you are a racing fan then I would get the G25 for PC racing games. GTR2 is awesome, Live for Speed takes full advantage of it as well. Get a descent rig though but it still a great experience.

Trust me GT : HD is terrible without any feedback at all. Its lifeless, the game is awesome still but I hope to god that they won't do the unthinkable and won't release without any feedback. It is still a good investment though if your a racing fan.

Forgive me for just catching up...but are you saying that it is possible that GT 5 or GT HD releases without FF? This was the only game I even wanted the PS3 for. Everything else is coming out on both platforms. I was going to buy a whole rig just because it was the ultimate racing experience. I did for GT4 and it rocked. Tell me I am hearing you wrong! Any link to any official announcements?

·
Registered
227 Posts
No FF for first party titles. Third party titles can and do. I'm actually looking forward to steering from the comfort of my couch with a SIXAXIS enabled controller. Just not Sony's. I heard Nyko has one coming out in a few weeks called "Zero". Will be interesting trying to shift gears though. Haven't figured out how I'm gonna do that if I'm using my index fingers to accelerate and brake...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.