AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the RG6-90BVM coax cable. I'm just wondering what is the use of the "steel messenger" cable that comes together with the main coax cable?

Also, with T&B Compression connectors, what is the difference between SNS1P6 and SNS1P6QS? How about SNS6 vs. SNS6QS?

Please help. Thanks.

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
Without looking up the specific part numbers, "QS" indicates a Quad-shield connector intended for QS cable (larger diameter - don't mix QS and non-QS cable/connectors).

The steel cable is used for grounding satellite dishes and other antennas.

Jeff

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
The steel messenger wire is to support the cable when it spans a distance. But it is also used for grounding in some cases.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That was my initial thought regarding the difference between the QS and non-QS connectors but I'm still confused because according to many sources (including T&B's official website) say that the SNS1P6 and SNS6 are also used for quad-shield coax cables. Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
Coax with a messenger cable may have been stolen, not your typical homeowner purchase with leftover for sale.

I've never used it or even seen it, but it may be too stiff for your typical in-wall residential use. As Colm said, the messenger cable means it's for 'crossing a span' - utility poles, aerial use.

Maybe Colm knows if it's too inflexible.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm satisfied with the question regarding the steel messenger already. My main concern now is about the connectors. I'm quoting myself on this:

"That was my initial thought regarding the difference between the QS and non-QS connectors but I'm still confused because according to many sources (including T&B's official website) say that the SNS1P6 and SNS6 are also used for quad-shield coax cables. Any thoughts on this?"

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Even though they say the non quad will work on quad cable, you will have a hell of a time trying to do so.

If you have quad wire, get the quad connectors.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts