Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I have a Panasonic showstopper (the 30 hour version), and I recently got the "deleted all my recorded programs" problem I have seen others mention on this forum. Since nothing has recorded since the loss of my shows, I decided to try and salvage some of them using my PC.

I saw quite a few posts here regarding extract_rtv. I found the link to the download page and I have the software. What I don't have is any idea how to use it. Can someone please give a step by step process of how to get (hopefully not yet deleted) shows off the hard drive?

Thanks,

Rich

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Here is what you do

Unzip extract_rtv to anywhere on your PC (must be win2000 or winXP O.S.)

Paste extract_rtv directly to your PC C:\\ directory so you end up with C:\\extract_rtv

Open command prompt window on your win2000 or xp PC and change directory to C:\\ by entering CD C:\\ [enter]

Type extract_rtv -dv [enter]. You will be given a list of all mpg files on the replay disk. Make note of the mpg file name you want to extract.

Type extract_rtv -e xxxxxxxxxxx [enter] xxxxxxxxx is the file name you noted earlier. The specific file is being copied to your PC C:\\ directory. You can play that mpg file with players like elecard player.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did see the info on the webpage rlc mentioned. It made sense, but I had some additional questions. I didn't know that you had to use 2000 or XP, so thanks for that info. A few other questions:

1) When you install the HD into the PC, should you configure it as a slave and add it to the same IDE cable as the primary HD in your PC? Does it matter which cable/config you use?

2) Do you need to tell the bios it is there?

3) Do you need to start the computer in DOS mode, or can this be done from a command prompt?

4) I have not installed Win2000 on my computer yet, but was planning on doing so. I remember reading something about Fat32 vs. some other type of file system (NTFS?). Does it matter which file system your computer is using? (i.e. I think I might just install Win2k as a second operating system and just leave the Fat32 file system from Win98. Whould this work?).

Thanks again,

Rich

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
1) When you install the HD into the PC, should you configure it as a slave and add it to the same IDE cable as the primary HD in your PC? Does it matter which cable/config you use?

Doesn't matter where you put the drive or jumper it as long as bios recognise it.

2) Do you need to tell the bios it is there?

YES. I keep bios configured to "auto detect" for all IDE positions so you don't have to go back in when connecting a new drive.

3) Do you need to start the computer in DOS mode, or can this be done from a command prompt?

Start windows. You will be working through the command prompt window.

4) I have not installed Win2000 on my computer yet, but was planning on doing so. I remember reading something about Fat32 vs. some other type of file system (NTFS?). Does it matter which file system your computer is using? (i.e. I think I might just install Win2k as a second operating system and just leave the Fat32 file system from Win98. Whould this work?).

I run ntfs with the advantage being no limitation to file size. There are draw backs to ntfs. You can not boot to it with a bootup disk and if you use a LINUX based RTVPatch or extract_rtv they can't access NTFS.

Fat32 has its limitation being the max file size is 4 gig. This can be a problem with RTV mpg files as a 2 hour high quality recording is 6 gigs in size.

·
Registered
105 Posts
don't want to create confusion but - I've used extract_rtv successfully using win98. Only difference is I booted up used the linux RTV patch boot disk. I then used the extract_rtv command successfully. I believe I used a win98 version of the extract_rtv but I can't recall for sure

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.