AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have a 50 inch Toshiba Regza TV bought last year in Japan. I would like to know what should be the spec of transformer to make my TV work in Netherlands? I asked the retailer here and he said this TV wont work outside Japan. I don't think that is true. We plan to use this TV only for online video streaming (Netflix/Hulu/Laptop). I do understand due to the NTSC/PAL difference, I won't be able to watch cable TV - this is OK with me. The back of my TV has the following numbers:

100V ~

57W

50/60HZ

22V

50kWH

Unfortunately I can't understand Japanese so don't quite know what they all stand for. Some number are recognizable like 100V is for voltage. But does "~" mean that it can also accept 230? Looks like hertz compatibility should not be a problem. Based on the above specs, what should be the spec sheet for my transformer. Also, will I need a separate one for my AVR (also bought in Japan) or do transformers have multiple inputs? An ebay product listing would be helpful.

My other (not preferred) option is to sell TV here. But that would be at a significant mark down. Used 50 inch TV's sell for around JPY 50K, I bought it for 110K!

Thanks for the time!

Cheers.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
Look for a travel transformer geared toward the Japanese tourist visiting Europe. A 100W unit should cover the TV set's requirements. You'll have to look up the power requirements for the AVR.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by raovjay  /t/1524198/step-down-transformer-japan-to-europe-netherlands-for-hdtv#post_24526204

100V ~

57W

50/60HZ

22V

50kWH

Unfortunately I can't understand Japanese so don't quite know what they all stand for. Some number are recognizable like 100V is for voltage. But does "~" mean that it can also accept 230?

100V~ means 100 volts AC. "~" means AC. "__" means DC.

It appears that it will not operate at 230V ~.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by raovjay  /t/1524198/step-down-transformer-japan-to-europe-netherlands-for-hdtv#post_24526204

The back of my TV has the following numbers:

100V ~

57W

50/60HZ

22V

50kWH

Japan uses 100V AC. They use 50 Hz in some areas, and 60 Hz in other areas. This explains the 50/60 Hz nameplate data.

What is uncertain is the 22V / 50 kWH numbers. As posted by others, the tilde (~) refers to AC. Not sure what the 22 V is for, or if this thing also required DC. I can't imagine what the 50 kWH stands for... 50 kWh would be 50 kilo-watt hours in my book, but that is total consumption, not a consumption rate....

Be prepared to turn your TV into a brick.

What kind of power plug(s) does it have? And if you buy an adapter, buy one in Japan for use in Europe. You'll be hard pressed to find one when you get to Europe, since ones sold there will be for Europeans going abroad.

Cheers!

-Doug

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all for chipping in suggestions. I am getting the label translated and will post more useful numbers.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the following information for my television. Please help in choosing correct spec/wattage for transformer:

Voltage Rate: 100v

Power Consumption: 146 W

Frequency: 50-60 hz

Annual Power Consumption: 105 kWh

Thanks for your time!

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Wiki lists the Netherlands power as 230 volts 50 Hz:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains_electricity_by_country

You will need a step-down transformer of at least 200 or 300 watts. It should be the transformer type instead of the compact travel type. I see listings for 220/240 to 110/120, but 230 to 100 is rare. It might be available, but if not you can reduce the 120 output with a 120 V Variac/Powerstat (variable autotransformer, 2 amp minimum) of the same rating, or use a buck-boost electricians transformer which is a small transformer that subtracts a little voltage from the 120 to make it closer to 100 volts.

https://www.google.com/#q=step+down+transformer+230v+to+100v

https://www.google.com/#q=buck+and+boost+transformer

An alternative would be to buy a used 240 volt variable autotransformer and set it to what ever voltage you need.

Ask an expert about your problem:

http://www.220converters.com/step-down-converters.htm

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks rabit73! I found this on amazon. It has 1000W capacity, overkill for TV use? If it has spare capacity, can I also hookup my AVR (460 W power consumption).

Another question: Will I need separate transformers for TV and AVR or just one with enough capacity be sufficient?

Thanks again for helping out!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts