AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a harmony remote with hub extender running, ceiling lights, projector, AVR, Blu-ray, etc. The problem I have is I wanted to do low voltage step lights or led strips at the platform steps, but they are all too bright. I'm hoping to run the step lights through a dimmer, preferably one that will work with harmony to dim and also have them run opposite to the room lights (ie. movie one step lights on ceiling lights off and vise versa)

Has anyone done this in a home theater? I have asked electricians and GE (ZWAVE dimmer) online and no response on whether it will work or how to wire it. Low voltage lights have two black wires and the dimmer (zwave Z3005) have 2 black, white, and ground.

Any suggestions would be great

·
Registered
140 Posts
You need a transformer in between. The wiring would go: Dimmer -> compatible transformer -> LV fixtures. Also, I don't believe that the Harmony Hub can directly control dimmers - you'd need an intermediate hub such as a smartthings for z-wave, insteon for insteon, lutron for lutron. So it would effectively be: Harmony hub -> lighting hub -> dimmer -> transformer -> fixture. What do you currently use for your ceiling lights? Hue?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You need a transformer in between. The wiring would go: Dimmer -> compatible transformer -> LV fixtures. Also, I don't believe that the Harmony Hub can directly control dimmers - you'd need an intermediate hub such as a smartthings for z-wave, insteon for insteon, lutron for lutron. So it would effectively be: Harmony hub -> lighting hub -> dimmer -> transformer -> fixture. What do you currently use for your ceiling lights? Hue?
LED bulbs in can lights switched by GE ZWAVE dimmer controlled by harmony hub. They dim to different levels based on viewing (tv, game, movie, etc)

·
Registered
140 Posts
LED bulbs in can lights switched by GE ZWAVE dimmer controlled by harmony hub. They dim to different levels based on viewing (tv, game, movie, etc)
I see I read too quickly and didn't note that you have the Hub Extender as your z-wave interface already. Since the GE works well for you, I would go with that, but you need to make sure that the dimmer and transformer are compatible (there are 2 types of transformers - magnetic and electronic), and that the lights you choose will work with the transformer.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Why not just do LED? I have a similar setup but I also use Vera as my Zwave controller. The Harmony hub extender connects to it and controls all the lights in my theater. Step lights, rope light, and led cans. I use Jasco Zwave dimmers and can dim them.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Im going to be doing step lighting with a motion sensor that kicks the LED strips on going down the steps to the theater, Will probably go with cheap amazon strips controlled by a GE smart outlet and a smart things motion sensor.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi! Here's what one of our German Loxone Partners did:
https://www.facebook.com/weyel.technik/videos/1836460313287414/
I think it looks pretty cool.

He has been using 24V RGBW Strips + 24V RGBW Dimmers + a Motion sensor + 24V power supplies. The motion will trigger the dimmers, each one with a slight delay to light up the steps one after the other. However, be advised that in this case, you would need a dimmer channel for each step. It is way less expensive to just light all steps at once triggered by motion.

Florian

1 - 10 of 10 Posts