AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Attached is a picture of my stair lighting plans (only lighting sides not facing screen). The rope lighting is represented by the white lines. That is planned out and holes drilled to access area for changing out when burns out, powering them, etc. Those are all under 2" lips.


I may have another problem. I have a ledge that does not have a 2" lip. It is in a recessed area where the drape will hang and block light from entering the room. It worked out well because that edge is part of my floating floor.


HOWEVER, I'm now thinking of lighting it some way. The attached shows my plan. I'm not sure if I can find the sideglow in short lengths 6' or more concerning is how to light it up (hover mouse over SV## text). I was thinking that I could just butt the end of it up agains one of the lights in the rope light but not sure how bright that would end up? I don't think it needs to be very bright to "show" the step.


Keep in mind that my vertical areas (rises) of all steps and that particular edge will be oak that should contrast nicely with the dark blue carpet used on the stairs and elsewhere in the room.


a) So has anyone used sideglow (or edgeglow) lighting? I see it on pool/jacuzze web sites. Brightness was a concern if I butt the edge up to a rope light light.


b) Any other alternatives to lighting this area? I don't want to run rope light down there as I don't have powered figured out and I don't really want that "look" there. Recall that the other places I'm using rope light is under the 2" lips so you won't directly see the light...just the reflection off the vertial wood oak. White glow in the dark tape?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok I'm learning to be a bit more flexible.


Perhaps I could plug something into an outlet I will have behind the drape and on the inside of my drape cavity (see attached). I could just put it on a timer since the outlet in question is not hooked up to either of my GEs.


I could use dimmed rope light (requiring a timer and dimmer) or perhaps this lighted cable (or better pic'd )would be "dim" enough if recessed like the previous attachement shows.


If I used a timer (i.e 0 - 2 hr type) they are all pretty noisy (spring wound type) as far as I know. I have them in walk-in closets and such at my house to automatically turn off lights. Perhaps I could find a digital one?


Thoughts about the sideglow or the new plan?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,292 Posts
Have you considered "light tape" or "luminous film" referenced in this post ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally posted by RonAuger
Have you considered "light tape" or "luminous film" referenced in this post ?
Hey thanks. I don't think I realized they came in a 1/4" or I might have gone that route. I ended up ordering the 'lighted neon cable' that I will put in a routed out grove like is shows in one of my attachments. I haven't received it yet but it looks like it may work OK. I don't actually want anything that bright just enough to let peoples brain realize there is a step there. Thanks again for nice link to that thread. It was a good one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
260 Posts
Re: timer - I don't have any direct experience or info, but check out motion-activated switches (replaces a wall switch). I believe they have adjustable time-out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally posted by bbordner
Re: timer - I don't have any direct experience or info, but check out motion-activated switches (replaces a wall switch). I believe they have adjustable time-out.
Thanks. That is a quite interesting thought. I put a motion timer in the mainfloor bathroom to control the fan so I know exactly what you mean. (had to get one that worked with motors).


From the sideglow (stairs) picture above you can see I'd have a hard time figuring out where to put one. a) you need it for people coming in the room and b) for people stepping out of the room. My foyer is outside the door so you wouldn't want it coming on whenever someone walked down the foyer. Curious tho. I need to give this some more thought. Appreciate the feedback.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:
Originally posted by Bruno1453
I can't quite tell from your picture, but is there a bar between your french doors?
No, this theater is on the main floor so I didn't have room for a bar and such like you guys with theaters in your basements :D


Actually from the second picture you can see I have "double doors". I have a commerical grade sliding glass door on the other side of the French doors so we can still look in (when drapes are open)...read: show off theater. The other reason is obviously for sound.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
334 Posts
Sorry for not being more clear in my question, I didn't mean bar as in drinking, but as in a divider instead. So the "bar" I see in your picture is really the middle of the sliding door, not something the french doors but up against.


My wife wants french doors as an entrance to our theater, but I don't simply because it will defeat all my other sound abatement work. She also does not want double exterior doors. Why does WAF always come into play!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:
Originally posted by Bruno1453
My wife wants french doors as an entrance to our theater, but I don't simply because it will defeat all my other sound abatement work. She also does not want double exterior doors. Why does WAF always come into play!
I knew what you meant...I was just being a smart-alec:D


I was actually surprised what a "reasonable" job the French doors do by themselves (ie. when I don't close the sliding glass door). Any door but hollow core that you make an airtight seal around will perform reasonably well. French is a little harder because you have to make sure where the two doors meet is a good seal as well as the perimeter. There are trade-offs with all this abatement. WAF comes into play because they are more important than your theater :eek: :rolleyes: (please don't tell my wife I said that otherwise she could get the wrong impression;) )


In my old glass door thread there are a lot of links to glass and the properties related to sound. If you go with French then I would get some lamented glass put in them instead of the basic 1/8" single pane.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ScottF200
If you go with French then I would get some lamented glass put in them instead of the basic 1/8" single pane.
Is lamented glass a pain?;) Those French .. they're always lamenting about something.:D


I'm sure you meant laminated glass. Or better yet, double pane with air or vacuum between, which is more STC-friendly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:
Originally posted by RonAuger
Is lamented glass a pain?;) Those French .. they're always lamenting about something.:D


I'm sure you meant laminated glass. Or better yet, double pane with air or vacuum between, which is more STC-friendly.
The spell checker fixed it good. :rolleyes: Indeed I meant laminated like is explained in this link from that other thread.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
334 Posts
ScottF200- Is there a reason why you are not using rope lighting?



RonAuger - I grew up in Douglas County and used to drive around that area. (Frequented Botona Junction back when it had better food!) And always hung out at Castlewood Canyon. Nice to know there are others from this region who love hifi! Where do you do most of your B&M shopping?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,292 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:
Originally posted by Bruno1453
ScottF200- Is there a reason why you are not using rope lighting?
Yep.
Quote:
Originally posted by ScottF200

Attached is a picture of my stair lighting plans (only lighting sides not facing screen). The rope lighting is represented by the white lines. That is planned out and holes drilled to access area for changing out when burns out, powering them, etc. Those are all under 2" lips.


I may have another problem. I have a ledge that does not have a 2" lip. It is in a recessed area where the drape will hang and block light from entering the room. It worked out well because that edge is part of my floating floor.


HOWEVER, I'm now thinking of lighting it some way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:
Originally posted by Bruno1453
Check. How much is the price difference?
The neon cable is quite a bit more expense compare to ropelight but not to this hobbie! :) See this link but luckily I didn't need that long of run.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top