AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. Based on the reviews I've seen and my "budget", I ended up buying a Sony STR-DH800. I haven't hooked it up yet as I'm waiting for my speakers to arrive (supposed to be on Monday!). I ordered the Polk Audio RM6750 5.1 package. I know they're not the best set out there, but I think they're a step up from my current setup and I can always upgrade later.

I'm planning to run my cable box, Xbox 360, PS3, and upscaling DVD player all with HDMI cables; that being said, I don't see the need for the option of analog to digital conversion over HDMI.

My issue is that I'm now re-thinking my budget. I haven't hooked up the Sony yet, so I plan to give it a chance first, but I have 30 days to try it and return it to exchange for something else.

For just around $100 or so more, I could get a Yamaha RX-V665, a Denon AVR 790, or Pioneer VSX-1019. Would that "step up" be a noticeable upgrade in terms of audio/video quality, and the overall quality of the unit (i.e. smooth HDMI switching, no "glitchy" issues, reliability)? I've looked at reviews of these and they all have their issues. The Sony has seemed to have the least so far (at least from the reviews I've read).

I like the idea of being able to run our Sirius radio into the reciever, and I'm starting to also like the multizone capability as well.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

· The Village Idiot
9,884 Posts
If you want to spend more you'd be better off putting more money into speakers. Speakers will more often give you more sound quality for $s spent than electronics will. As long as the Sony has the gadgetry you were looking for it should drive those speakers just fine.

· Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've read that review. From what I understand, the STR-DH800 is basically the same thing as DN1000 except for the upconversion to HDMI and GUI. As far as the GUI goes...it's not really a priority to me, so I can't justify spending the extra money for that alone. I'm more concerned about the overall sound, and overall quality/reliability.

· Registered
5,454 Posts
you can hang the RM6750 speakers on any of the receivers you have mentioned and probably not hear a bit of difference. If the DH800 has the features you want, then save your money and start building your budget for your "later upgrade".

Speakers first, electronics second.

· Registered
2,135 Posts
I think that's a reasonable combination, although I'm not a big fan of Sony receivers. But if that one has got the features you're looking for, it should serve.

As others have said though, speakers are where to go for better sound quality. Spending extra money there makes a far bigger difference than putting it into electronics. Receivers also tend to get replaced on a frequent basis as features, connectors and formats come and go. You only have to buy good speakers once, and they can stay with you through many receiver upgrades.

· Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone! I actually just saw that the store where I bought the Sony dropped the price $100, so I should be able to get that back. Unfortunately, I think my speakers have been help up due to "adverse weather conditions". Ugh...anyway, I want to give the Sony a try, but I'm still considering switching it out for the Yamaha RX-V665. Mainly because I've heard that the Polk Audio speakers tend to be "bright" and match up better with a "warm" receiver. The Yamaha in question has the features that I'd want (multi-zone, Sirius connection,4 HDMI inputs), but then again so does the Sony.

Anyone heard about issues with the Yamaha other than spring clip speaker connections? I've heard about handshake issues, but that they're resolved through firmware updates. More than that, I've heard that the Yamaha receivers tend to be a bit "glitchy" when it comes to not only switching HDMI sources, but also changing channels (i.e. time delays when changing from an SD to HD channel).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.