AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Banned
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i remember seeing a video how to upgrade the ps3 hard drive. i can't find that link...does any know that link? also i read on this forum that you need to download the sony latest firmware version to a usb memory stick and install it on your ps3 on your new hard drive? is that true, why can't i upgrade my ps3 firmware thru the network port and need to jump thru these hoops? i'm not too concern about transferring game data over since i dont have alot of game data and don't really care. so someone please let me know what i need to do once i put in the new hard drive. steps by steps instruction would be great. thx in advance.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
you don't need a link. just pop the cover, remove the blue scew, slide the hd sideways and pull it out. next, take out the four screws holding it to the chassis and replace it with the new one. reinstall. when you power it on it will ask you (twice) if you wish to format the drive. easy as pie.

btw, i don't think the ps3 stores the firmware on the hdd.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning /forum/post/14205447

you don't need a link. just pop the cover, remove the blue scew, slide the hd sideways and pull it out. next, take out the four screws holding it to the chassis and replace it with the new one. reinstall. when you power it on it will ask you (twice) if you wish to format the drive. easy as pie.

btw, i don't think the ps3 stores the firmware on the hdd.

yep..this is all you need to do. I did it the other day..piece of cake. Just backup your old drive 1st..if you wish to put the old drives contents on the new drive.

And yes..the firmware is installed elsewhere in the system.

·
Registered
5,639 Posts
Ting Ting,

Any chance you can find me a cheap internal HDD that I can upgrade to?

·
Registered
288 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingShorty /forum/post/14209260

Ting Ting,

Any chance you can find me a cheap internal HDD that I can upgrade to?

There's a thread on here for just that reason.

I just upgraded to a Hitachi 250G. Simple as pie.

·
Registered
5,639 Posts
nice... I'll purchase it sometime tonight!

·
Registered
5,639 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tingham /forum/post/14209342

What..no external? LOL

Something that I've come to realize, there's NEVER enough space when it comes to technology. The more the merrier!

·
Banned
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
what about my psn account? i have my email and password tick to save and automatically log in? i forgot what is the password. if i put in the new hd and relog back on my psn account..and dont know what is the password..how would i log in now?

·
Registered
266 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentnyc /forum/post/14212721

what about my psn account? i have my email and password tick to save and automatically log in? i forgot what is the password. if i put in the new hd and relog back on my psn account..and dont know what is the password..how would i log in now?

you should have made a security question when creating the account. go online search for Playstation Network, (i cant link you, my company blocks the site) and see if you can get your password emailed to your email address.

-J

·
Banned
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One last question. I see some hdd are 7200 rpm instead of the standard ps3 5400 rpm. If I get the 7200 rpm, would it still work? I have the 20 gb if it helps.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The 7200 would work. The only problem is the PS3 was designed for the 5400, meaning you really won't notice a difference. I remember a tester created a chart that showed a decrease of 2 seconds (Best case) with most being none to 1 second over an INSTALL. Game wise it wasn't noticable, plus the system would have to deal with the excess heat from the 7200 drive.

The biggest difference they (the testers) found was the cache, but today most drives are about 8 MB. Although the larger destop are 16 MB.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I just installed a samsung 320gig HD and was simple as pie, but just watch out for those screws they are weak just get a proper size philips, now I thought that I would have to re-download the games from PSN but they were all there

·
Registered
2,857 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Montemayor /forum/post/14228982

Does the PS3 backup software back up the copy-prohibited saves like Rock Band's?

It should back up everything on your drive..so I would say yes.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts