AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

You've been real insightful with your info to me in the past. Can someone explain to me how long to break in my new 58"S1? Can I watch standard tv or do I use a break in disc. Also, when can I do the service menu tweaks that I've seen posted here by DNICE and others? Can I watch TV now in Vivid mode or will this affect the break in of the phosphors?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Biggest thing to pay attention to is keep that contrast at 50% or less for at least the first 100-150 hours or so (prior to any attempt at professional calibration). Of course, I have also heard it mentioned that maintaining a sub-50% contrast setting for an additional 900 hours, give or take, is a wise idea. After this, you could "safely" bump things up a bit. Just avoid "torch mode" (dynamic/vivid contrast...full on).

Regardless, high contrast is generally a no-no (this goes with LCD as well, but not nearly to the degree as that of plasmas, IMHO). Also, try not to allow static images (such as letterbox bars, side bars, video game HUDs, etc.,) to remain on the screen too long during the break-in period...if it can be helped. Of course, this isnt life or death, so if burn-in rears its ugly head, just use whatever methods available to you in order to defeat this. Most current plasma televisions come with at least one, if not two, means of dealing with/"correcting" burn-in.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Are you too lazy to read the break-in sticky?

All you could possibly need is there...that is why it's there.

shezuz.....

·
Registered
6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolanski /forum/post/18282359

Are you too lazy to read the break-in sticky?

All you could possibly need is there...that is why it's there.

shezuz.....

Judging from his/her post count (fresh member), this sticky probably went unnoticed. It happens, eh? Take it easy on this one.

Of course, Im new here as well. But, having done the forum thing before, I have learned to look first and ask later. If someone else does not do this, its no big deal in my book.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys, sorry about missing the sticky. Chasing after a 3 and 5 year old has made my head spin.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts