Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.

I started to watch one of my dvds , Start trek 6 the undiscovered country on my new front projecter and noticed a black line at teh bottom of the screen. I quickly did somem research and found no problems with the disk. but when I put it on my 4:3 tv I noticed that the video was actually moved up and the black lines on the top and bottom are not equal.

Has anyonme else had this problem. also I thought the movie was anamorphic but its not, this really pissed me off, because I never noticed it the first time I watch it on my 4:3 tv.

Also is there a way to get this fixed or get a replacment

·
Registered
809 Posts
I believe it is framed like this so the subtitles can show under the picture. I assume that the replacement will be the special edition that will be released sometime in the future.

Parts 1-4 have so far been given the special edition treatment. I think part 5 will be released in the next 5-6 months and part 6 in the next year.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the realy suck I dont' feel like spending more money on paramounts **** up, it was fine on the laserdisc from what I remember,

anyone have there number so that I can call and ***** at them

·
Registered
28,947 Posts
The original DVD is a port of the original non-anamorphic laserdisc master, however they moved the picture upwards in the frame so that the alien subtitles (which are burned into the lower letterbox bar) would not be cut off on 16:9 monitors. It isn't entirely successful, as there are still some subs which extend too far down on the screen.

This was an early DVD release from Paramount and they are already well aware of the problem. That is why they have been remastering the Trek films. The new Star Trek 6 disc should be out next year.

·
Registered
131 Posts
The laserdisc suffers from the same problem. I have it, and I was dissappointed with it from day one. I have not purchased the DVD because it's sourced from the same crappy master.

·
Registered
28,947 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by movie_guy
The ratio is wrong, it should be 2.35:1. I hope when it's re-released, it will be done right!
The movie was shot in the Super35 format, and the laserdisc master had the mattes opened up to 2.0:1 at the request of the film's director, Nicholas Meyer.

Star Trek 6 was actually one of the first laserdiscs to undergo the Lucasfilm Quality Assurance mastering before it had the official name of THX. The only problem with the master is that it is non-anamorphic and stupidly has the subtitles burnt in so low below the picture (the Star Wars laserdiscs have the same problem). At the time the laserdisc was produced, widescreen TVs were few and far between, and the studio simply wasn't thinking far enough ahead.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.