AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to find a stereo setup that will play nice with a PS3 and Apple TV. Is replacing my current Yamaha AX-596 stereo amplifier with an Onkyo A-5VL (which has an optical and coaxial input) the best way to go, or are there better options?

Here's what I'm looking to do (and why I can't just buy an AV receiver). I'd like to play movies, including Blu-ray, and music off the PS3; I'd also like to play music, tv shows and movies purchased off iTunes off the soon-to-be-purchased Apple TV. The sound will go to two decent Energy floor speakers. Currently I've got the PS3 hooked up to the AX-596 via its composite analog output, with an HDMI cable to the TV for video. The sound is noticeably lacklustre with that setup: dialog is muddy and indistinct, and music lacks punch.

My default choice would be to replace the AX-596 with the best AV receiver I could afford and be done with it, even if I'm only going to output in stereo, not surround. Unfortunately, the only space we have in our cabinet (which I'm not inclined to replace) for an amplifier is 6" high, which rules out all but the most budget AV receivers.

The two options I could come up with after some research were this: replace the Yamaha with the Onkyo, or add a Cambridge Audio DacMagic before the Yamaha. In the former case, I'd run the PS3 directly to the Onkyo via optical, and likely buy a cheap DAC to connect the Apple TV. In the latter, I'd route both the PS3 and Apple TV to the DacMagic via optical, and then on to the Yamaha. Considering I could resell the Yamaha, the former option's slightly cheaper.

Is one of those options better than the other, or is there a better way to get good sound out the PS3 and Apple TV in a stereo setup which I haven't considered?

Cheers,

Origami

·
Premium Member
6,897 Posts
What about the HK 3490? It's cheaper and it has digital inputs too. I love mine

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaño /forum/post/20888259

What about the HK 3490? It's cheaper and it has digital inputs too. I love mine

The Harmon Kardon would be an excellent choice, but it runs into the same problem as the AV receivers: it's too tall (6 &7/16", and the cabinet can only hold 6").

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.