AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI all, I was hoping someone can help offer me some advice for my current audio problem!

I have an X2000 AVR, in the theatre room I have a 5.1 setup with 2 Q Accoustic floorstanding 2050i speakers and center, and ceiling mounted Speakercraft AIM5 Threes for the rear surround. I am streaming most of my content through a intel NUC HTPC running Xbox Media Center. Being my first 5.1 setup this just blew me away, the first time I played a movie with DTS I was grinning from ear to ear, it sounds amazing :)

However its not all gravy unfortunately, in my living area which is about 6 meters by 8 meters with a 2 meter ceiling which peaks in one area up to 2.5 meters. I have a zone 2 setup with 2 ceiling mounted Speakercraft AIM8 Fives. These 2 speakers cost more than the Q Accoustics, but sound awful in comparison, they have a very weak bass, and the highs are too sharp/aggressive in my opinion.

Now I know its unlikely that ceiling speakers are ever going to sound as good as floor standers, but these were pretty much top of the line models, and I was hoping they would sound better than they do. Does the X2000 have enough grunt for these speakers? Here are the speaker stats:

AIM8 FIVE
Pivoting and Rotating 8" Kevlar® Cone Woofer
Pivoting 1" Aluminum/Magnesium Dome Tweeter
Front-Mounted Switches Allow for up to ±3dB of Bass and Treble Adjustment
Accu-Grille Dramatically Reduces Unwanted Acoustic Reflections
Timbre-Matched to All Five Series Speakers
Sensitivity: 91dB 1W/1m
Power Handling: 150 Watts
Impedance: 8/6/4 Ohms, Depending on Switch Settings
Frequency Response: 33Hz - 20kHz
Diameter x Depth: 11 7/16" x 5 3/4" (291 mm x 146 mm)
Cut-Out Diameter: 9 3/4" (248 mm)
U.S. Patent No. D419, 561 & 6,101,262

I have made a box enclosure and lined with spare carpet and placed these over the back of the speaker units in my roof space, but it didnt really make much difference.

So i am now thinking about perhaps using a second amplifier just for these speakers and perhaps if the space is just too big for ceiling speakers to fill properly, some small speakers i can put on a wall bracket in the corner's... The missus was dead against anything other than in ceiling speakers at first, but after living with crappy sound quality for a year I have approval for some small non intrusive wall mounted speakers! :)

So I guess my questions are:

A) Will getting a second amp with tone controls and using the zone 2 pass though ont he X2000 help the situation? If so what amplifier would you recommend for these speakers? I would also like to make sure it has the abillity to hook 2 pairs of speakers up to it if I ever need to buy a second pair for this large room.

B) Is that space too big for the speakers? Do I need to get another pair in there to fill the room? If so what speakers can you reccommend that pack a decent punch for a small size I can mount in a couple of ceiling corners.

if anyone can offer some advice it will be gratefully received! Im looking forward to enjoying music outside of my theatre room again!

Also apologies if this post is in the wrong section, i wasnt really sure where to put it as its both amplifier and speaker related.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
HI all, I was hoping someone can help offer me some advice for my current audio problem!

I have an X2000 AVR, in the theatre room I have a 5.1 setup with 2 Q Accoustic floorstanding 2050i speakers and center, and ceiling mounted Speakercraft AIM5 Threes for the rear surround. I am streaming most of my content through a intel NUC HTPC running Xbox Media Center. Being my first 5.1 setup this just blew me away, the first time I played a movie with DTS I was grinning from ear to ear, it sounds amazing :)

However its not all gravy unfortunately, in my living area which is about 6 meters by 8 meters with a 2 meter ceiling which peaks in one area up to 2.5 meters. I have a zone 2 setup with 2 ceiling mounted Speakercraft AIM8 Fives. These 2 speakers cost more than the Q Accoustics, but sound awful in comparison, they have a very weak bass, and the highs are too sharp/aggressive in my opinion.

Now I know its unlikely that ceiling speakers are ever going to sound as good as floor standers, but these were pretty much top of the line models, and I was hoping they would sound better than they do. Does the X2000 have enough grunt for these speakers? Here are the speaker stats:

AIM8 FIVE
Pivoting and Rotating 8" Kevlar® Cone Woofer
Pivoting 1" Aluminum/Magnesium Dome Tweeter
Front-Mounted Switches Allow for up to ±3dB of Bass and Treble Adjustment
Accu-Grille Dramatically Reduces Unwanted Acoustic Reflections
Timbre-Matched to All Five Series Speakers
Diameter x Depth: 11 7/16" x 5 3/4" (291 mm x 146 mm)
Cut-Out Diameter: 9 3/4" (248 mm)
U.S. Patent No. D419, 561 & 6,101,262

I have made a box enclosure and lined with spare carpet and placed these over the back of the speaker units in my roof space, but it didnt really make much difference.

So i am now thinking about perhaps using a second amplifier just for these speakers and perhaps if the space is just too big for ceiling speakers to fill properly, some small speakers i can put on a wall bracket in the corner's... The missus was dead against anything other than in ceiling speakers at first, but after living with crappy sound quality for a year I have approval for some small non intrusive wall mounted speakers! :)

So I guess my questions are:

A) Will getting a second amp with tone controls and using the zone 2 pass though ont he X2000 help the situation? If so what amplifier would you recommend for these speakers? I would also like to make sure it has the abillity to hook 2 pairs of speakers up to it if I ever need to buy a second pair for this large room.

B) Is that space too big for the speakers? Do I need to get another pair in there to fill the room? If so what speakers can you reccommend that pack a decent punch for a small size I can mount in a couple of ceiling corners.

if anyone can offer some advice it will be gratefully received! Im looking forward to enjoying music outside of my theatre room again!

Also apologies if this post is in the wrong section, i wasnt really sure where to put it as its both amplifier and speaker related.
I would say the problem is not amplification or EQ but rather ceiling speakers.

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
A dedicated amp won't fix the short comings of your speakers, unless you have something like a 1W output amp like thing.

I would suggest dedicated surround speakers, they have built in wall mount fixings, and generally quite discreet if you get them the same colour as the walls. I didn't notice mates BP-1X in white with the white walls.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Speakers should be easy to drive but I have never seen a speaker than you could changes the Impedance. I would pick 8 Ohms.

33Hz response is really low but I would not totally trust this number.

I new amp is not going to help you. I think you need to look at your room setup. Can you post pictures of your setup.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here are some shots of the room, you can see the in ceiling speakers are over to one side of the room above the couch but they are tilted toward the middle of the room slightly. Its a feature of the AIM series. I have taken a pic of the speakers one with thje grill off to show the cones, they are pretty big, I would expect better bass from them. But then again, im new to this so Im probably completely wrong!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey guys, yes I get that in ceiling speakers are deffinitely not as good as wall mounted bookshelf or floor standing models. Just a couple of further points this is only for listening to stereo music in this room, I dont need surround sound/5.1 etc.

I appreciate the advice already given but can anyone give me a few pointers regarding my actual questions below?

From original post:

A) Will getting a second amp with tone controls and using the zone 2 pass though on the X2000 help the situation? If so what amplifier would you recommend for these speakers bearing in mind they say they are up to 150 watts? I would also like to make sure it has the abillity to hook 2 pairs of speakers up to it if I ever need to buy a second pair for this large room.

Im willing to augment the ceiling speakers with another pair in that room. If you take a look at the 3rd picture I was thinking of mounting them on the right above the walk-through pointing down and in, and the second speaker above the left walk-through in the corner, although you cant quite see it in that image, you can in the 5th image.

·
Banned
16,232 Posts
Hey guys, yes I get that in ceiling speakers are deffinitely not as good as wall mounted bookshelf or floor standing models. Just a couple of further points this is only for listening to stereo music in this room, I dont need surround sound/5.1 etc.

I appreciate the advice already given but can anyone give me a few pointers regarding my actual questions below?

From original post:

Im willing to augment the ceiling speakers with another pair in that room. If you take a look at the 3rd picture I was thinking of mounting them on the right above the walk-through pointing down and in, and the second speaker above the left walk-through in the corner, although you cant quite see it in that image, you can in the 5th image.
That room is full of reflective surfaces and they're at an odd angle to the listening area and you don't apparently have a sub to handle the lower frequencies....an amp is not going to change this. Room treatments and maybe a sub...

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
That room is full of reflective surfaces and they're at an odd angle to the listening area and you don't apparently have a sub to handle the lower frequencies....an amp is not going to change this. Room treatments and maybe a sub...

Just add a sub.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
If you are powering both zones (all seven speakers) at the same time a stereo amp will help. Audiosource makes just what you need.
http://www.amazon.com/AudioSource-9...413203365&sr=1-1&keywords=audiosource+amp-210
http://www.audiosource.net/products/electronics/amplifiers/amp-210/overview/

This will allow passthrough to a subwoofer amp also. Or many subwoofer amps have a full range (zone2 output) passthrough
with crossover to the ceiling (front left/right) speakers. Zone2 output is not meant for highest fidelity. It bypasses all room eq.

·
Registered
15,083 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong, but I dont think I can add a asub for the X2000 zone 2? So if that is the case what amplifier would you reccommend to output the signal for zone 2 to?
While receivers don't have separate sub outputs for the additional Zones, many sub amp designs let you connect them to stereo line-level signals or speaker-level signals. Bass management crossover circuits often are included, too. You just have to be judicious in your choice of subwoofer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts