AVS Forum banner

61 - 80 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
now that the HST has been given new birth... has there been any more tests on it? especially compared to the UXL and the ACTUAL power handling it can take ???

·
Registered
21,319 Posts
@Ricci

great work as always. quick technical question...what is creating the artifacts below the fundamental in the burst test?

Image uploading. Refresh page to view

Attachments

·
Registered
901 Posts
Anyone else a little disappointed with the results considering the hype of the driver? it looks to perform very similarly to the UXL.
How do you see that it performs similar?

I don't know if I missed the THD results from the UXL earlier or if they weren't posted on Data-bass before but I see that they are up now.

·
Premium Member
8,440 Posts
How do you see that it performs similar? Referencing 100dB via Data-bass.com's results the UXL-18's roll off is at 36 Hz. The HST-18's roll off is at 26 Hz. It is also noted that Ricci stopped the UXL-18's distortion testing because the driver was having issues, where-as there was no mention of the HST-18 having any issues at all. All I am seeing is the HST-18 playing lower with similar HF extension compared to the UXL-18 with the HST-18 having actual distortion measurements taken on it. How is that similar performance?

I know that the distortion numbers are a little lower but how much of that is actually audible? Their output numbers are extremely close to each other are they not? And the UXL-18 had a small advantage below 20hz doesn't?

·
Registered
901 Posts
I know that the distortion numbers are a little lower but how much of that is actually audible? Their output numbers are extremely close to each other are they not? And the UXL-18 had a small advantage below 20hz doesn't?
If you are Ok with with ticking from the driver and/or higher than average distortion your window for suitable drivers may be huge compared to others.

Your comparison view is not correct at all. The HST-18 has +3 dB more output at 20 Hz in the basic response and 2 dB at 20 Hz in maximum long-term output compared to the UXL-18. Drag down the comparison tab on www.data-bass.com and see for yourself. Full-range response yields +3 Db more output at 20 Hz for the HST compared ato the UXL. How is that similar performane?

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
For a true subwoofer the HST is my vote over the UXL. I like the UXL a lot but everything I have read now I am placing the HST above that one.

HST
ZV4
SP4
UXL
Ultra
TDH

But each one of those also depends on the enclosures. Again another great products from Nick.

·
Premium Member
8,440 Posts
If you are Ok with with ticking from the driver and/or higher than average distortion your window for suitable drivers may be huge compared to others.

Your comparison view is not correct at all. The HST-18 has +3 dB more output at 20 Hz in the basic response and 2 dB at 20 Hz in maximum long-term output compared to the UXL-18. Drag down the comparison tab on www.data-bass.com and see for yourself. Full-range response yields +3 Db more output at 20 Hz for the HST compared ato the UXL. How is that similar performane?

Sorry, I was looking at the max SPL numbers which show the HST-18 at 108.2dB with 22% distortion and the UXL-18 at 108dB with 29% distortion.

Sorry I've never heard any ticking with my drivers. So I see that the distortion of the HT-18 at 20hz is 29% like the UXL drivers do they also have this ticking from the driver that you're describing?

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Josh did not test the latest version.
When I visited Josh in December 2013, I saw the HST-18 and commented about it to Josh. I thought you noted in a post that Josh sent that driver back to you and since the recent test was done this month... wasn't this test done with the latest version of the HST-18?

If not, what is the difference between version 1 and version 2?

61 - 80 of 136 Posts