Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just bought a subwoofer and it has RCA connectors marked, "Left/Mono and Right." Now, I always thought it would be OK to take the subwoofer out (single channel) from my receiver and plug that straight into the left/mono RCA jack. After doing some research, however, I have read that some people suggest that you use both RCA jacks on the subwoofer as that may result in a gain (in level).

So, I guess the question is:

Do I just take a single RCA (mono) cable from the sub out on the receiver and plug that straight into the RCA left/mono input on the subwoofer

OR

Do I take a Y-connector and split the mono signal into two mono signals and plug that into both left/mono and right connectors on the back of my subwoofer?

·
Registered
733 Posts
I have 2 questions. BTW, I'm not being sarcastic...

1. What brand/model is your sub?

2. What does your manual say?

·
Registered
140 Posts
lolittle's questions are the right start. On my sub (with the same markings on input) there is a noticable difference (for the better) when a Y connector is used to provide input to both jacks...

For what it is worth.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello lolittle,

Thanks for the questions. I am really into computers too and whenever people post a question, they list their entire specs. I guess I am kind of embarassed that I have "low end" audio equipment. :)

Well, the sub is one that I bought from Costco for $299.99. It is a D-Box 10" sub. I guess I can try both, but I wanted to know if there was a "correct" way of doing it. The manual just states that if you have a sub out, then to use the left/mono in and if there are stereo outputs available, to use both left and right.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the same one (altough I bought the display model for $99.00 :p )

I hooked it up to an hk 20, and didn't notice a difference between using one channel, or using both (the 20 has two sub outs). I've got it hooked up to an hk 110Z with just the left input, and it sounds the same.

I'd say hook both up, but I didn't really notice a difference between the two.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow...that is a great deal. Is it the D-Box 302 or the 301 that you have? Either way, you got a great deal as I paid $299.99 CAD for it. I have to admit that it produces way better sound than I had expected.

On a slightly different note, do you have your phase set at 0 or 180? I can't seem to figure it out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.