AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering some odd sub construction for a living room style home theater. The plan is not to have more than three speakers (center, front R/L) sitting out in the room. The surround sound speakers (rear R/L side R/L) are already in the wall.

For the sub I consider a band pass design (Fourth-Order Bandpass - similar to the type of subs in people's cars). The band pass sub would be located in a "room" under the staircase - sonically only connected by the reflex port to the living room. Essentially a wall opening not bigger than a 2 or 3 gang electrical box. For the subwoofer cabinet construction I found a software aiding in the design.

As a speaker I was considering a dual voice coil design, which would allow powering the sub using an old stereo power amp (existing) rather than buying a sub amp or a bridgeable amp.

In order to feed the mono sub signal from the AVR to the power amp I would need some sort of adapter. I was wondering if I could just Y the signal - basically splitting the mono signal from the AVR and feeding it to the right and left channel of the stereo power amp?

Anything else that I should keep in mind?

How about a filter or x-over??? Most of the sub amps will have some active filter to cut of the higher frequencies. Could I get by with two basic LC x-over?

Thanks,

Patrick

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Yes, a Y adaptor is fine. As for a crossover, if your receiver doesn't do it, then it really depends on the crossover/response of your main speakers.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.