AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm using my computer as an MP3 jukebox. Now What I currently do is get a Headphone to 2 RCA cable splitter and send the signal down 2 coax cables to my computer speakers in another rooms. Works perfectly.

I'm pressed for a connection in another room and I would like to send stereo sound down the coax using a Diplexor just like cable and sat over one coax and then split it out at the other end with another diplexor.

Of course, if I'm writing this, it doesn't seem to work. one channel comes in fine (the SAT channel on the diplexor) and the other is barely audible.

Any thoughts on what I can do?

Thanks,

Josh

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Josh,

I assume that you are running this connectins in the same location just to a different room??? The first thing that came to my mind was, have you ever thought of using a wireless connection to send the signal?? The Shack has a few to choose from as well as most A/V stores.

Maybe that will help,

Mike

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I did think of that, but the connections go from the 3rd floor to the first in my house and the interference I would receive from so many wires in the house would kill it. I had to actually amplify my 802.11b Wireless connection.

Thanks Though

Josh

·
Registered
181 Posts
A diplexer works because it is combining/splitting two signals that occupy different frequencies onto a single cable. You are dealing with two signals (L & R) that occupy the same frequency band. One would have to be modulated to a higher frequency band before combining and demodulated back down upon splitting. Can be done - takes some pretty sophisticated equipment. I suspect running a cable is easier.

·
Registered
15,125 Posts
This is an "already solved problem" used to connect game consoles to TVs that only have RF inputs.

If you don't need the highest quality audio, you can use a stereo RF modulator at the source and a demodulator (e.g. vcr) at the destination. Typical modulator prices are $20 to $250.

A Web search for "stereo rf modulator" locates thousands of pages.

http://www.svideotorca.com/svid7.html
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/sweetron...-acc-1034.html

are two examples of inexpensive video + stereo modulators.

For the highest quality you could use a stereo ADC on the input and run SPDIF to a DAC at the destination. I'm sure MDB must have something appropriate.

I hope this helps a little.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Josh,

I know you're looking for hardwire, but I've got one of these FM transmitters and the quality (both build and sound) is great. I'm very impressed. With it, you could plug your jukebox into it and just tune your radios around the house to the transmitter frequency. Very cool.

Ross

·
Registered
3,799 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I actually have one of those at home. The problem is getting the stereo signal over the coax. I can get stereo signal out of the sound card but there are no Mini Jack to F connectors (that I can find) that support stereo, they are only mono. Strange, I know.

Thanks

Josh

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.