AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was originally going to have a 2.1 system for a while until I could afford to get more speakers. However, I remembered that I had some decent speakers for a Stereo System I bought a while ago. Is there anyway I can hook the speakers up to the receiver? The speakers arn't really wired like the other speakers, so I don't know if this is possible.

·
Registered
28,804 Posts
More info please? What kind of speakers are they and how are they wired?

And what receiver will you be connecting this to?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yamaha RX-V663 -- Aiwa speakers -- the speakers have one wire that comes out that splits into two different copper wires. I can't really explain it.

It seems like the two copper wires it splits into are the regular two wires that you use to plug speakers into a receiver, but they don't fit. Additionally, I don't know if I can get a wire that will work because the wire that comes out of the speakers doesn't appear to be removable.

I'm sorry that I can't explain it, but I really can't think of any better way. I have no idea what kind of wire this is coming out of the speaker and the speakers arn't specifically labeled to say what kind they are.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zill /forum/post/14297678

Yamaha RX-V663 -- Aiwa speakers -- the speakers have one wire that comes out that splits into two different copper wires. I can't really explain it.

It seems like the two copper wires it splits into are the regular two wires that you use to plug speakers into a receiver, but they don't fit. Additionally, I don't know if I can get a wire that will work because the wire that comes out of the speakers doesn't appear to be removable.

I'm sorry that I can't explain it, but I really can't think of any better way. I have no idea what kind of wire this is coming out of the speaker and the speakers arn't specifically labeled to say what kind they are.

A suggestion buy some used good quality normal speakers.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did, I was just hoping that I could use those for a while until I got the rest of them.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I was using my aiwa speakers as a center for awhile. Does the back look something like this?

If so, if you use the two wires coming out of the speaker it will have a impedance of 6ohms. If you hook up into the terminals at the top it will have a impednace of 16 ohms. Those were my specs of my old aiwa speakers. Using the wires coming out is 6ohms, connecting the top 16ohms.

Just make sure your Yamaha can handle the impedances from 6-16ohms and you will be fine. My onkyo handles it.

·
Registered
362 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zill /forum/post/14297907

It looks similar to that. Did you just plug them into your receiver directly?

yea, even though the wires are smaller and thinner I used the same wires that came out of the speakers for awhile until I upgraded. Just make sure the Yammy can run ohm rating on the back of the Aiwa speakers.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Aiwa speakers are kind of old and I had a newer JVC system. I tried to get both of the speakers to work, but neither of them will plug in to the receiver. The JVC are 6ohm 80 watt and the Aiwa's don't say what they are so I think I should just stay away from those completely.

Is there a way to rewire these speakers or something so that they will plug into the receiver?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts