Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Quick Questions.

If I'm running a HT System and I turn the "Subs Off" on the Pre-Amp, the LFE information goes to the mains, is this correct???

If I'm running stereo subs for LF to help the mains w/ the bottom end -AND- I use the above scenerio, do you think it's "a bad idea", "good idea" or "doesn't matter."

Thanks in advance... :)

·
Registered
27,208 Posts
Bad.

Your mains can't do LFE very effectively relative to a sub.

Run stereo subs with 'subs on' on your preamp and have the LFE bypass your mains. This way, your mains won't be stressed by the full frequency.

·
Registered
30,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drcruz
If I'm running a HT System and I turn the "Subs Off" on the Pre-Amp, the LFE information goes to the mains, is this correct???
Correct.

Quote:
If I'm running stereo subs for LF to help the mains w/ the bottom end -AND- I use the above scenerio, do you think it's "a bad idea", "good idea" or "doesn't matter."
OK

Kal

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks all, Now I have an "audio theory" question

Bland, doesn't the internals of a speaker have a crossover to drop the frequencies that it can not handle -or- am I SNAFU'd???

Thanks for the quick responses :)

·
Registered
30,760 Posts
Quote:
Thanks all, Now I have an "audio theory" question

Bland, doesn't the internals of a speaker have a crossover to drop the frequencies that it can not handle -or- am I SNAFU'd???

Thanks for the quick responses :)
Not usually. The crossover distributes the energy to the various drivers but rarely does it filter anything out of range. Hell, few speaker manufacturers admit that anything is out of range.

Besides, you said you had stereo subs, one on each main speaker, I assume. Are they 'real' subs or just labels?

Kal

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kal,

Real aci titans, I don't understand "just labels".

Thanks for the info. It's wierd that a speaker company will say their speaker goes from 60 to 20KHz and yet it's bad to send a full range signal to them.

The reason I'm asking is that I'm trying to avoid purchasing any external High Pass Crossovers (personal reasons).

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not talking about the speaker, but a reciever sending a full range signal to it.

Example Speaker performance = 60 to 20Khz

Reciever sends a 19 - 20KHz signal to speaker. Is this bad for the speaker???

Sub fills in the LF's (

·
Registered
244 Posts
In the frequency range you are asking about 19-60hz it is not likely that the signal will be BAD for the speaker, but if you can avoid sending it you should get a cleaner sound. The speakers are going to perform best in their range and anything outside of that will not be recreated as well. If you have speakers that can better handle the low frequencies (your subs) then you should let them do their job and let the mains do what they do best. I CAN haul plywood on the roof of my car, but I'd rather put it in the bed of my truck, know what I mean.

Hope whatever you do sounds great, Good Luck,

Brian

·
Registered
30,373 Posts
Quote:
Depends. That's usually how it works, but some processors will send the LFE info to any speaker (centre, surrounds) that has been configured as Large when the subwoofer output is turned Off. What receiver or processor are you using?
Quote:
Again, depends. Since you have disabled the subwoofer output, how do you have your two subs connected? Are you feeding them a full-range line level signal from the front L/R outputs in parallel with the speakers? Are you connecting them in a traditional sub/sat configuration where you run speaker wire to the sub(s), which filter off the low frequencies and send the rest to the speakers? "Good", "bad" or "doesn't matter" will depend on the connection method and the subwoofers & speakers you are using.

If you could let us know what specific equipment you are using it would really help us give you an accurate answer (as opposed to an educated guess).

Best,

Sanjay

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm planning for the future.

Here are the seperates:

http://www.**********/products_produc...s&product=29.1
http://www.**********/products_produc...s&product=28.1

(I've almost have enough money saved for the sale price offer)

This is what I want w/ the mains:

http://www.northcreekmusic.com/Catam...amountInfo.htm

And I want 2 aci Titans to fill the bottom end below 45Hz - stereo subs, processor = subs off.

I want to use a Y-connector one line for the Mains one line for the subs, w/ the subs low pass filter set at 45Hz.

I want to try using the full signal to both, no filters. The reason being is that, I read some where that everytime a signal passes thru any kind of processing stage, it affects the signal, which made sense to me.

When you look at the Catamount freq. response picture (and any other speaker freq. response picture), there seems to be a nature dropping off of the lower freq.

I'm wondering why you need to filter out the lows at all if this is a natural response of a speaker. But, I think you guys are saying the speakers will sound distorted - a lot of vibration coming from the speakers. Do 3 way speakers have an internal passive crossover, therefore preventing the distorted sound in the mids???

Thanks everyone for the info, VERY HELPFUL

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just one last question, more a "Speaker" or "Audio Theory" question, but...

In a three-way speaker, there's another Low-pass crossover installed to send the LF's to the bigger woofers and a High-pass crossover for the mids and highs, is that right???

Thanks All... :)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Yes, most 2 and 3 way speakers have internal passive crossovers. They actually go beyond just high-pass and low-pass. For the mids they usually send only the mid frequencies, and then the highs to the tweets and the lows to the woofer. About the speakers distorting at frequencies bellow their recommended range, I think that is exactly what we are saying, you can even see this in subwoofers that don't go as low as they sometimes need to.

Most signal processing does affect the signal in undesired ways, but the LFE channel in a surround mix is not being crossed over, it only includes the low frequencies. I think you will get the possible sound if you use the LFE channel as intended, and then experiment with the settings for your mains. You will still benefit from dual subs without them being "Stereo," just hook them up with a splitter to the LFE output. Your pre/pro should at the least allow you to give a general "Size" to your speakers, or even better it may allow you to set an internal high pass filter. As usual let your ears be the judge, try it each way and see how you like it, that's what matters anyway.

Goodluck, and have fun,

Brian

·
Registered
6,604 Posts
Quote:
Hi All,

Quick Questions.

Thanks in advance... :)

If you are running stereo subwoofers, and each subwoofer is located next to the R & L main speakers, you can run your system the way you specified.

It is probably better in your case to run the mains as small, crossover at 80Hz (maybe down to 60Hz), and feed a "mono" subwoofer signal to both R & L subwoofers. Most deep bass ends up being mono in the content mixing stage anyways.

If your pre/pro has "stereo" subwoofer outputs, then go for that instead of "mono". Try both setups and see if they sound "the same"!

·
Registered
6,604 Posts
Quote:
Just one last question, more a "Speaker" or "Audio Theory" question, but...

In a three-way speaker, there's another Low-pass crossover installed to send the LF's to the bigger woofers and a High-pass crossover for the mids and highs, is that right???

Thanks All... :)

Yes.

If you have a three way speaker that you can bi-amp, those filters remain in the speaker crossover circuit when you separate the "bigger woofer" from the balance of the speaker!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.