AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me preface this by saying that I understand the bass becomes non-directional below 60-80 Hz.

Do any receivers output stereo bass via the 2 sub outs (i.e. 7.2, 9.2) while in the stereo output mode, or will they only play a single LFE signal (which is what I have found to be the case for most receivers)?

subsequent note and question: if you get to choose the crossover point for the sub via the receiver, then I would assume the receiver just sums the L and R LF signals to produce the sub signal... so why not just use two crossovers to maintain stereo LF while in stereo mode?

I want a multichannel receiver/amp, but I will mostly use it for playing music. Can anyone recommend a receiver that outputs a low-level stereo sub signal? If "no", can anyone describe a workaround?

Thanks!

-Dan

·
Registered
30,663 Posts

There are preamp/processors that will do this but I do not know of an AVR that does.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Confirmed.

"The subwoofer outputs are labeled front and rear indicating that we are finally seeing stereo subwoofer outputs rather than the dual mono of the others in the line."

- http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/receivers/yamaha-aventage-rx-2020-rx-3020-pre

Hopefully the user manuals will be online soon so I can verify that the setup I want is possible. If so, I think the 2020 will be mine. oh yes. it will be mine.

Thanks dudes.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathdan82  /t/1415685/stereo-subwoofer-preouts#post_22135052

Confirmed.

"The subwoofer outputs are labeled front and rear indicating that we are finally seeing stereo subwoofer outputs rather than the dual mono of the others in the line."

- http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/receivers/yamaha-aventage-rx-2020-rx-3020-pre

Hopefully the user manuals will be online soon so I can verify that the setup I want is possible. If so, I think the 2020 will be mine. oh yes. it will be mine.

Thanks dudes.
Not so fast. I think this is wrong. Yamaha has had front/rear labeled on their dual subwoofer out for several years. Go to the 2010 model manual on page 111 under subwoofer setup. Front/rear, left/right and dual mono (default) are the 3 options. But nowhere in the manual or the spec sheet does it actually say that the signals are different. In fact on page 10 under standard speaker setup it refers to subwoofer pre-outs as lfe .1 signal, not stereo. This is more for calibration setup. Most receivers don't auto eq subs separate. I think most receivers are designed so stereo bass is output by front towers set to large and played as 2.0..

·
Registered
381 Posts
I believe Tom Andry was partly correct with his "stereo output" comments for the sub channel on the 3020. When I reviewed the RX-A3000 it offered configurable sub outs for rear/front or stereo L/R with independent level control and delay. This is a great feature to have. I am confident the same feature is carried over on the 3020.

See: http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/receivers/rx-a3000/rx-a3000-setup

I updated his preview article for the RX-A3020 and his statement as follows:
Quote:
The subwoofer outputs are labeled front and rear indicating that we are finally seeing configurable subwoofer outputs with independent level and delay controls rather than the parallel dual outputs of the others in the line. If the RX-A3020 operates like its RX-A3000 predecessor, then you should even be able to configure the dual subs as either mono (front/rear) or stereo (L/R). For most installs, we recommend mono (front/rear) to send the exact same bass content to both subwoofers simultaneously.

·
Registered
12,864 Posts
AFAIK, the LFE channel is mono, yes? That does not preclude the sub outputs from being stereo. That said, Kal should know...

The 3010 manual talks like the two outputs are identical, though it does have settings to set distance etc. if they are independent (page 116, RX-A3010 manual). Nothing to indicate they are separate L/R in the manual.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts